User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Was Robin Williams?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 56789 Last

Thread: Robin Williams

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    He doesn't seem to get that. Nor does he understand the concept of compensatory extraversion.
    Exactly. I know there is more to extraversion/introversion (in Jungian typology), than measuring shyness and sociability, but one can't look at a man as painfully shy and guarded as Williams and possibly rule out I. He was a master actor and impersonator. Of course he's going to look like an Exxx on the surface.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Mal, you once posted that if someone misses their exit on a highway due to being lost in thought, that means the person is an N. Really, just give it up. Try knitting. Basket weaving. Try anything, but give up typology. And most of all, don't ask others "Why N?" when you don't even know what it is. Robin Williams ESTP? What exactly have you been smoking? Lol.
    What do you think of Robin Williams' type?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    Because why? Because we're trying to type a man who did boatloads of cocaine (among other drugs) and presented a public persona completely different from his private life?

Cool, good luck with that.
    No. But thanks for demonstrating your inability to read my mind.

In this analysis it is necessary to seek out the preponderance of evidence. Robin Williams is happier with people around him and draws his energy from them. Extrovert. Robin Williams is exciting, entertaining, and even in his introspective moments demonstrates a lot of spontaneity and enthusiasm. Perceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    What do you think of Robin Williams' type?
    The type who suffered greatly from a disease of the brain and tried to hide it, the best he knew how.

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

No. But thanks for demonstrating your inability to read my mind.

In this analysis it is necessary to seek out the preponderance of evidence. Robin Williams is happier with people around him and draws his energy from them. Extrovert. Robin Williams is exciting, entertaining, and even in his introspective moments demonstrates a lot of spontaneity and enthusiasm. Perceptive.
    Boatloads of cocaine and alcohol can do that for the most introverted individuals.

He spent a good deal of his professional life under the influence.

Even many introverted celebrities who never take drugs have made an art of appearing more extraverted and energized by people. Maybe they are really energized by people, to an extent, as I am sure was the case with Robin Williams, but once the camera is off, you will often see a very different individual, as was also the case with Williams.

Trying to type him (and many celebrities, for that matter) is a pointless endeavour, as you will be typing the public image, not the actual person. You might think you've got it down to a science, and you might think you're 100% spot on, but you'll probably be wrong.

So as I said before, good luck with that.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Why N?
    His style of comedy seems more typical of an Ne-dom than an Se-dom.
    From what I've seen, he had a pretty amazing talent for improv and making imaginative connections on the fly. The "grand gestures"/showmanship/"sensory flash" that the ESTP description mentions was just the surface of his act; I think his huge imagination was what made it remarkable. Se-doms can have quick and vivid imaginations as well, but from what I've noticed Se-dom comedians rely on it less and stick more to retelling what's already happened in a humorous way.

.................................................. .......

Ne-doms can be quite socially introverted, so if he actually was reserved in his private life like someone mentioned, I don't think that necessarily means he was an introvert in MBTI terms.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The type who suffered greatly from a disease of the brain and tried to hide it, the best he knew how.
    If you don't have an opinion to offer as to his MBTI, then don't criticize others for offering their own.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    From what I've seen, he had a pretty amazing talent for improv and making imaginative connections on the fly. The "grand gestures"/showmanship/"sensory flash" that the ESTP description mentions was just the surface of his act; I think his huge imagination was what made it remarkable. Se-doms can have quick and vivid imaginations as well, but from what I've noticed Se-dom comedians rely on it less and stick more to retelling what's already happened in a humorous way.
    The N/S question for me is not so much imagination (as Se-doms, you would agree, definitely have vivid imaginations and can throw out some very rapid associations), but whether his view of life, society, himself, and others, was global or particular, figurative or concrete.

Ne-doms can be quite socially introverted, so if he actually was reserved in his private life like someone mentioned, I don't think that necessarily means he was an introvert in MBTI terms.
    Right. People can "vibe" as introverted while being extroverts.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Legend.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Let's compromise and agree on ESFP.