User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Was Robin Williams?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 34567 Last

Thread: Robin Williams

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    You are dismissing a relevant comment with one broad stroke in order to quickly move on and assert your own belief. My point is that logic may or may not be Ti's guiding star. "Logic" is an Occidental intellectual bias. Ti will still exist in cultures where logic is not put on a pedestal. That internal basis may for example be meditation as a way of finding truth. The quest for intellectual truth is internally determined, that's all that matters here! All else is stereotyping.
    I don't disagree with your description of Ti here, but I feel like you missed the forest for the trees and addressed my individual words instead of my holistic point. I hope if you have read any amount of my posts on this site that you would be able to tell that I try very consciously to avoid stereotype, even if I cannot always succeed to eliminate my own bias. However, I tend to be wordy, and I also try to limit myself. Clearly I didn't choose the words that would make sense to your sense of precision, but that doesn't mean that I was dismissing or simplifying. I actually initially wrote a long paragraph response to your comment, but I felt like it was losing sight of the point.

...or that an ENTP can't pour him or herself into a character...
    Again, not something I am arguing, nor even remotely close to my point. An ENTP certainly can, but as you can see from actors like Sacha Baron Cohen, or Robert Downey Jr, there is a different quality to Fe being poured into a character. I wish I could speak to it better than this because it is hard for me to articulate. It is sort of like empathy versus sympathy, but that is not really right either.

Robin Williams was also a cultural critic, a skeptical Ti. For example, 'Some people say Jesus wasn't Jewish. Of course he was Jewish! Thirty years old, single, lives with his parents, come on. He works in his father's business, his mom thought he was God's gift, he's Jewish. Give it up." Never mind, ENFPs can be that way too!
    Yeah, I feel like any NP does a fair amount of questioning in their lives. Whether it is directed at culture probably has to do with a lot of factors.

I remember Robin Williams well. His behavior per se doesn't matter, it's the hyper-intensity of the behavior. He was busting out with extroversion, in the right settings, completely unregulated out-of-control stream-of-thought extroversion strewn here and there with "why?" moments. He was always asking "why?" He was an NT who wanted to know the reasons. He didn't ask his audience, he asked nobody in particular and everybody in general, or perhaps he was just talking out loud, expressing something of his internal world in between the bouts of intense stream-of-thought.
    ENFPs do this as well. ENFPs want to know reasons as well. That is not an NT thing alone. I am surprised you would make that point after saying that my comment was stereotyping.

MBTI
    INTJ

ENTPs don't make "mother russia" jokes ad nauseum unless they are doing it ironically.

Robin Williams was an ESFJ with a cocaine problem.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    ENTPs don't make "mother russia" jokes ad nauseum unless they are doing it ironically.

Robin Williams was an ESFJ with a cocaine problem.
    Seriously, you think Williams was a judger? This is how spontaneous he was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er4rafRECFU
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    IxxP
    Enneagram
    5/9

He was definitely FP

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Seriously, you think Williams was a judger? This is how spontaneous he was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er4rafRECFU
    Yeah, a manic ESFJ who feeds on people's laughter.. I'm an INTJ, and when I'm hyper and doing schtick, I can appear somewhat similar (except for a shorter periods of time and my jokes are better). I just think that trying to guess a comedian's type based on their public appearances is a fool's errand, considering they are under a constant expectation to be funny
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

I kind of think ESFJ as well.

You want to see an ENTP comedian, watch some George Carlin standup. (Yes, I realize many consider Carlin ENFP, but that's bullshit)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

ESFJ? guys, you are insane. it takes one to know one: he was an ENFP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Just compare Robin Williams with Bill Hicks... Not an ENFP.

I never even found him (Robin) that funny at all to be honest.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't disagree with your description of Ti here, but I feel like you missed the forest for the trees and addressed my individual words instead of my holistic point. I hope if you have read any amount of my posts on this site that you would be able to tell that I try very consciously to avoid stereotype, even if I cannot always succeed to eliminate my own bias. However, I tend to be wordy, and I also try to limit myself. Clearly I didn't choose the words that would make sense to your sense of precision, but that doesn't mean that I was dismissing or simplifying. I actually initially wrote a long paragraph response to your comment, but I felt like it was losing sight of the point.

Again, not something I am arguing, nor even remotely close to my point. An ENTP certainly can, but as you can see from actors like Sacha Baron Cohen, or Robert Downey Jr, there is a different quality to Fe being poured into a character. I wish I could speak to it better than this because it is hard for me to articulate. It is sort of like empathy versus sympathy, but that is not really right either.

Yeah, I feel like any NP does a fair amount of questioning in their lives. Whether it is directed at culture probably has to do with a lot of factors.

ENFPs do this as well. ENFPs want to know reasons as well. That is not an NT thing alone. I am surprised you would make that point after saying that my comment was stereotyping.
    Then there's no difference between NT and NF, and we should just throw away typology.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Robin Williams' Ti skepticism.

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”