• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Stephen King books are worth reading more than once?

Which Stephen King books are worth more than one read?

• Total voters

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
my favorite one is The eyes of the Dragon. I've read it several times, it's really a bit different than a lot of his stuff.

heart

heart on fire
I messed up my vote. Should have been for The Green Mile, it is the only Stephen King book I ever read that I liked. Very Gnostic type premise in it. I was suprised that he wrote it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the short story of The Mist. I liked the movie until the ending. They should have kept the ending that was in the book.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like the short story of The Mist. I liked the movie until the ending. They should have kept the ending that was in the book.

I really love the story.
And I liked the way it ended with a little hope but still very ambiguously.

Why, did Darabont make the ending happier? (I wouldn't be surprised.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why, did Darabont make the ending happier? (I wouldn't be surprised.)

No, actually, he made an ambiguous ending into a depressing ending.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

In the book, they get the radio call from Albany. In the movie, Thomas Jane's character uses a gun to kill off the other people in the car but he survives because he's out of bullets to kill himself.

***SPOILER END***

I preferred the book's ambiguous ending.

Last edited:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yeah, Lisey's Story is pretty good too.

I haven't read Cell yet. Or Duma Key, which came out this week.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cell looked like a filler book.

One of those books I lump in with The Dreamcatcher, just kind of by the numbers horror that King doesn't invest a lot in. It's like he does it to clear his throat (or cache if you want a computer metaphor) so he can write something better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cell looked like a filler book.

Yes.. a Trunk book. He got bored, cranked it out in a week, then filed it and pulled it out when the publisher needed to make some money.

One of those books I lump in with The Dreamcatcher, just kind of by the numbers horror that King doesn't invest a lot in. It's like he does it to clear his throat (or cache if you want a computer metaphor) so he can write something better.

I put Insomnia in that same category. But you're right, maybe he uses those the same way... like instead of taking the car out for a real run, he's just dumping engine cleaner into the tank and driving around the block to scrub things out.

Dreamcatcher started with some nice characterization but went downhill from there... as soon as the plot got involved.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes.. a Trunk book. He got bored, cranked it out in a week, then filed it and pulled it out when the publisher needed to make some money.

Yes, that's the phrase he uses.

I put Insomnia in that same category. But you're right, maybe he uses those the same way... like instead of taking the car out for a real run, he's just dumping engine cleaner into the tank and driving around the block to scrub things out.

Dreamcatcher started with some nice characterization but went downhill from there... as soon as the plot got involved.
I think Insomnia isn't a Trunk book, there were a lot of ideas and threads to other works in it, it was just a mess.

I liked the start of Dreamcatcher too! Esp. the descriptions of going out into the woods and the snowstorm.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I think I read a lot of his work when I was too young to appreciate it (I'm guessing 8-12) and since seldom touched any titles with his name on. Except for The Stand, which I've read several times and count among my favourite books. Originally I picked it out from the library shelf (I think I was 10 or something) because it was the hugest book I could find, so it wouldn't end too fast. I don't remember who brought up Gone With the Wind as a bad book, but I've read that at least ten times as a kid.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The more you swing, the more you strike out. Which ones do you think King hit out of the park?

Not enough slots for all the titles -- so comment on any you think were unfairly skipped.

Full List of Books/Writings here.
Prolific, isn't he.

I had only heard of Carrie, Salem's Lot and The Shining.

I cannot tolerate scary stories, so I have never read anything of his.

I have seen snippets of Carrie on tv.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're all gonna laugh at you! They're all gonna laugh at you!

Trust me Carrie, you can trust me.

We're all sorry, Cassie. We're all sorry.