• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bend me, Shape me

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
lol man you guys are harsh. i'm all for being yourself, but when you're in love, that is what it feels like. it's just artistic expression. i'm a fan.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I have concern for the steady diet of unhealthy messages we receive from pop music at a formative time of our lives.

If you google lyrics, and I do at times, I see so many tragic attitudes and behaviors being reinforced through rhythm and tune. Hooks are called that for a reason. I don't know what the subconscious process may be for the individual but given the current state of our global values system I have my questions.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My immediate thought is yes, it's the hyperbole-based love-lyrics of most love songs.

... If you replace the "woman" from the physical sense of one though to something else entirely.. like, for example, referring to music as a woman, loving music the way he would a soulmate.. it seems like a very indepth way of trying to capture the way this mistress bends and shapes his every move in life without ever knowing or tagetting him personally for that. Though, if that were the case.. we'd never know what influences him so heavily.. music, art, corruption, idealistic fancies...

I think I'm reading too hard into it now. ;)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I have concern for the steady diet of unhealthy messages we receive from pop music at a formative time of our lives.
Was totally thinking about this just not too long ago upon seeing Avril Lavigne's music video for the song "Girlfriend". I threw up in my mouth watching it. Her music is undoubtedly geared and marketed for middle school aged girls and I don't know what better method you could use to encourage them to be more of a brat/tramp than music like that. I'm not about censorship and keeping all music clean and pretty, but this music, it's basically handed to kids of a certain age and is more like propaganda than anything else.

Hey, hey,
You, you.
I don’t like your girlfriend.
No way, no way.
I think you need a new one.
Hey, hey.
You, you.
I could be your girlfriend.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
I know that you like me,
No way, no way.
You know it’s not a secret.
Hey, hey.
You, you.
I want to be your girlfriend.

You’re so fine,
I want you mine.
You’re so delicious,
I think about ya all the time,
You’re so addictive.
Don’t you know what I could do to make you feel alright?
Don’t pretend I think you know I’m damn precious,
And hell yeah,
I’m your mother fucking princess
I can tell you like me too and you know I’m right.

She’s like so whatever,
And you could do so much better.
I think we should get together now,
And that’s what everyone’s talking about.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
I know that you like me,
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

I can see the way,
I see the way you look at me.
And even when you look away I know you think of me.
I know you talk about me all the time again and again, (And again and again and again)
So come over here, tell me what I want to hear.
Better yet make your girlfriend disappear,
I don’t want to hear you say her name ever again.(And again and again and again!)

She’s like so whatever,
And you could do so much better.
I think we should get together now,
And that’s what everyone’s talking about.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
I know that you like me,
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
I know that you like me,
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

In a second you’ll be wrapped around my finger,
Cause I can,
Cause I can do it better.
There’s no other,
So when's it gonna sink in?
She’s so stupid,
What the hell were you thinking?

In a second you’ll be wrapped around my finger,
Cause I can,
Cause I can do it better.
There’s no other,
So when's it gonna sink in?
She’s so stupid,
What the hell were you thinking?!

Hey, hey.
You, you.
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

Hey, hey.
You, you.
I know that you like me,
No way, no way.
Hey, hey.
You, you.

(Sorry for the usage of bandwidth to litter the board with terrible lyrics.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol man you guys are harsh. i'm all for being yourself, but when you're in love, that is what it feels like. it's just artistic expression. i'm a fan.

Actually, I am far more "okay" with it than I was when I was a teenager.

Back then I really despised songs like that and thought people were horrible for being so pathetic and clingy. (Curse of the NT thought process.)

Now I can laugh at it and just roll my eyes, because it's a natural feeling that most people experience at least at some point in their lives.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP

If you google lyrics, and I do at times, I see so many tragic attitudes and behaviors being reinforced through rhythm and tune. Hooks are called that for a reason. .

I know what you mean Anja. When this "Bend Me, Shape Me" song was first out, though, I did think of it as just silly exuberance versus anything meaningful. I was 14 years old. I misunderstood the repeated line "Bend Me, Shape Me" to say "Baby, shake it, aaaanyway you want to". Typical guy, huh ? :) I never knew the rest of the words and didn't care.

I have seen kids get so wrapped up in bands that they did weird stuff, thinking the band wanted them to do so. A heavy metal song had said something that was interpreted to mean a suicide pact, and these kids tried to carry it out. One died, and the other only partially succeeded.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Actually, I am far more "okay" with it than I was when I was a teenager.

Back then I really despised songs like that and thought people were horrible for being so pathetic and clingy. (Curse of the NT thought process.)

Now I can laugh at it and just roll my eyes, because it's a natural feeling that most people experience at least at some point in their lives.

I had felt this way as well. I had been just giggling picturing little you (aka your avatar ;) ) loathing a bus ride home filled with pop-trendy girls as I read this post. I was also quite disliking of lyrics preaching the wrong ways of saying and doing things... but now, a bit older, I realize that even if I don't agree with the lyrics.. it won't stop the song from playing. So why waste my energy being annoyed by it?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
And this has been going on since parents worried that Elvis was going to turn us all promiscuous! And that never happened!

What I remembered from the song of the Fifties and early Sixties was that recurring theme that I was gonna die if someone didn't love me. Whew. That's a burden for a fifteen-year-old to carry. I think it was a relief to all concerned when the Beatles came along and, under the noses of watchful parents who thought they were cute, suggested recreational drugs as the remedy.

No wait!

All said with tongue in cheek, of course. Still there is a grain of truth which is interesting.

The one that's recently caught my ear is, roughly, "If someone said three years from now, you'd be long gone, I'd stand up and punch them out."

What? That's good response to someone who is trying to give you a tip. Punch them out?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
There's a book. Do you Believe in Magic, by Annie Gottlieb, which addressed culture of my time as a teenage and talks about the music reflecting and shaping our values. It was a good read.

This thing, kuranes, about heavy metal and young people's violence against themselves and others is a difficult thing to talk about. Certainly some young people who are so inclined seem to find reinforcement for dark thoughts in their choice of music.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Was the OP hinting at sexual innuendo? If so, how about this Arlo Guthrie for a puzzler?

"I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcycle."

Evil?