• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bend me, Shape me

burkeus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
What kind of impression do these lyrics make on you?

"You are all the woman I need
And baby you know it
(Know it, know it, know it)
You can make this beggar a king
A clown or a poet
(Poet, poet, poet)
I'll give you all that I own
You got me standing in line
Out in the cold
Pay me some mind

Bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
Long as you love me
It's all right
Bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
You got the power to turn on the light

Everybody tells me I'm wrong
To want you so badly
(Badly, badly, badly)
But there's a force driving me on
I follow it gladly
(Gladly, gladly, gladly)
So let them laugh I don't care
'Cause I got nothing to hide
All that I want is you by my side

Bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
Long as you love me
It's all right
Bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
You got the power
To turn on the light

Yeah, bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
Long as you love me
It's all right
Bend me, shape me
Anyway you want me
You got the power
To turn on the light"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yay -- complete codependency at its best!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I had never really looked that closely at the words.
What Jennifer said.

When I listen to the lyrics of a song, I sometimes wonder about that MBType of the person that wrote it.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Bubble gum band, but they had some decent horns. I remember what I was doing when that song came out; just starting to get into Junior High school. 1968. The year previous those guys appeared on American Bandstand with the original Pink Floyd ! In London there was the whole Carnaby street thing, and I remember the paisley design and the beginnings ( for me ) of hearing about "psychedelia" for the first time. Back then people were trying to scare us by saying that hippies would try to slip drugs in our punch at parties, and to watch out for dealers, etc. It didn't usually work like that in real life, though, is what I found as I got older. There were no dealers knocking on your door and trying to twist your arm. Au contraire.

Lots of changes happening that year in'68. Khe Sanh and the Tet offensive. The battle of Saigon. The My Lai masacre. Congress repeals the gold standard. Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy assassinated. Saddam Hussein becomes Vice chairman of the Revolutionary party. Nixon and Wallace nominated. The Chicago protest at the Democrat convention. 150 women protest the Miss America pageant in the Feminist second wave. The Zodiac killer emerges. The Beatles form Apple records and put out "the White Album". In China, Mao begins sending young people educated in urban centers to work in the fields. In Japan - a 300 million yen heist, that is still unsolved to this day, goes down. Back when a yen was still a yen, ye know ? :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Bubble gum band, but they had some decent horns. I remember what I was doing when that song came out; just starting to get into Junior High school. 1968. The year previous those guys appeared on American Bandstand with the original Pink Floyd ! In London there was the whole Carnaby street thing, and I remember the paisley design and the beginnings ( for me ) of hearing about "psychedelia" for the first time. Back then people were trying to scare us by saying that hippies would try to slip drugs in our punch at parties, and to watch out for dealers, etc. It didn't usually work like that in real life, though, is what I found as I got older. There were no dealers knocking on your door and trying to twist your arm. Au contraire.

Lots of changes happening that year in'68. Khe Sanh and the Tet offensive. The battle of Saigon. The My Lai masacre. Congress repeals the gold standard. Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy assassinated. Saddam Hussein becomes Vice chairman of the Revolutionary party. Nixon and Wallace nominated. The Chicago protest at the Democrat convention. 150 women protest the Miss America pageant in the Feminist second wave. The Zodiac killer emerges. The Beatles form Apple records and put out "the White Album". In China, Mao begins sending young people educated in urban centers to work in the fields. In Japan - a 300 million yen heist, that is still unsolved to this day, goes down. Back when a yen was still a yen, ye know ? :)
Thank you for the Historical reminder. :)
I was only 9. :newwink:

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
If I heard the chorus alone I would relate it to something sexual, but the rest of the lyrics spoil it for me.

It's pretty pathetic and a reminder to me that no amount of trying to change yourself to please anyone is worth the sacrificing of pride that comes along with it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's willing to sacrifice everything about himself because he's obsessed, lol.

Two thumbs down for that approach.

Then again, he'll ditch her as soon as she tries to drive him away for being so clingy and spineless.

(Right before he moves onto his next victim.)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Then again, he'll ditch her as soon as she tries to drive him away for being so clingy and spineless.

(Right before he moves onto his next victim.)

She should write a song about that experience. It would probably be much more interesting. :devil:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Bend and shape that thing between his legs into a vagina cuz he sounds like a girl!

Amirite, bros?! Right man?! *high fives a nearby bro*

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Bend and shape that thing between his legs into a vagina cuz he sounds like a girl!

Amirite, bros?! Right man?! *high fives a nearby bro*

Oh my word! LOL! Someone's gonna slap you.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
*reluctantly high fives beat*

But, coming from you that don't mean much.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just see the lyrics as the exuberance of infatuation and new love. I would not necessarily feel they reflected the singer's sober thoughts on the relationship. I'll admit, that viewpoint is somewhat informed by the utterly joyous style of the music. I just think he really digs this girl and is in that "I'll do anything for you, baby!" phase. Besides, he probably wrote the song for some girl he was trying to nail ;)

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the 'bend' and 'shape' thing is more of a personality one. Like she can bend and shape his personality at will, for example, if she says 'I don't like when you do that' he'll never ever will do that again (even if he enjoyed it very much).
Is that what you're asking?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I just see the lyrics as the exuberance of infatuation and new love. I would not necessarily feel they reflected the singer's sober thoughts on the relationship. I'll admit, that viewpoint is somewhat informed by the utterly joyous style of the music. I just think he really digs this girl and is in that "I'll do anything for you, baby!" phase. Besides, he probably wrote the song for some girl he was trying to nail ;)

Yeah, exactly. It's really just hyperbole, like, "I'd swim the ocean to get to you." He's just trying to say he loves her.

Now, if he wrote these sentiments in prose form and sent them off in an email, I'd be worried.