User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    The counting?
    Yea. Our interest in lyrics may be an interest in 1 of 3 things: (1) the content of the sentences, (2) the pace at which the words are being sung (the counting), or (3) both #1 and #2.

#2 is often thought to be associated with the rhythm or beat of the song (which may or may not be true depending on the song). This interest often goes unnoticed. Regardless, though, it stands that we derive a significant amount of pleasure from repeating certain patterns of counting.

Ex) the song that's in my head right now is like: 1....2..3.4.5...6..7.8.9...10..11, etc...where the dots represent how long the note is held and which syllable of the word is being held for how long.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Listening to music in foreign languages makes me appreciate vocals more.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Yeah, sometimes the lyrics can kill a song that's really strong musically (if you choose to interpret them).
    True. One of my favorite bands is Def Leppard (Quiet, I'm old!) and if I ever stopped to listen to the lyrics in a critical way, I could never listen to them again.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yea. Our interest in lyrics may be an interest in 1 of 3 things: (1) the content of the sentences, (2) the pace at which the words are being sung (the counting), or (3) both #1 and #2.

#2 is often thought to be associated with the rhythm or beat of the song (which may or may not be true depending on the song). This interest often goes unnoticed. Regardless, though, it stands that we derive a significant amount of pleasure from repeating certain patterns of counting.

Ex) the song that's in my head right now is like: 1....2..3.4.5...6..7.8.9...10..11, etc...where the dots represent how long the note is held and which syllable of the word is being held for how long.
    Aha...I do like music where the 'counting' is staggered or made inconsistent so that interest and dissonance (not the MBTIc member, ha) are created.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    True. One of my favorite bands is Def Leppard (Quiet, I'm old!) and if I ever stopped to listen to the lyrics in a critical way, I could never listen to them again.
    Lol! Same with the Beatles (a lot of their stuff), early Pink Floyd (in my view, anyway), the list goes on.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I agree that lyrics are just as musical as the music. But I hear the voice as just another instrument unless the lyrics really speak to me. There's lots of music I love that I could never enjoy if I actually listened to what the lyrics mean.

And he does like her, which is why he doesn't want to do her wrong in the end. The narrator has a habit of bailing out of relationships when he has a crisis of confidence. And he wants to save this girl the hurt that is coming to her down the line by getting out before anyone is too invested. I admit that my reading of the lyrics is colored by the fact that I do this exact same thing
    I totally get what you're saying now re: lyrical meaning. I agree.

Confidence, eh. I guess he's gotta solve that before it's too late. But he shouldn't just give up and claim (at the start) that he'll hurt her in the end. Doing this dooms it from the start. He is already giving up on his ability to change. That or he knows he'll never change (which begs the question, "why will he never change?").

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I like vocals, but the confines created by language and especially rhyming is limiting musically.
    This is interesting. Language confines music? What makes the language of music more vast than spoken language?

Regarding foreign lyrics: yea, to me, the fact that I don't know what they're saying just emphasizes the count.

Regarding lyrical meaning: yea, a lot of musicians are scum-bags. creeepy. I mean, The Police: I'll be watching you....wwoooowww...I mean, I'd never listen to the song but gee...psycho...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This is interesting. Language confines music? What makes the language of music more vast than spoken language?

Regarding foreign lyrics: yea, to me, the fact that I don't know what they're saying just emphasizes the count.

Regarding lyrical meaning: yea, a lot of musicians are scum-bags. creeepy. I mean, The Police: I'll be watching you....wwoooowww...I mean, I'd never listen to the song but gee...psycho...
    Vocal texture and range as well.

MBTI
    INTP

Vocal texture and range as well.
    Ok, good. Vocal texture is definitely key. What sense of "range" are you using?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Ok, good. Vocal texture is definitely key. What sense of "range" are you using?
    The range of the singer (octaves), although that doesn't always matter in pop music.