• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calligraphy (and challenge)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So weird...posting in Art & Entertainment. I feel like I should do an interpretive dance before posting.

Anyway, I'm getting into calligraphy. Right now, just standard American calligraphy. I was wondering if any of you do calligraphy. If so, how did you pick it up, and tips do you have?

Since that'll probably get zero to -3 responses, I thought it'd be fun to do a calligraphy challenge. The challenge will be to pen, scan, and upload the following words:

"Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Central"

If anyone actually tries to do this, we can have a poll at the end to select the winner. If you just want to sketch or draw or doodle, that's fine too (as long as it says the words above.

Ready?

GO!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I taught myself calligraphy about 20 years ago when my mom bought me a pen set.
The pen set came with example alphabets but I also collected samples and borrowed library books on calligraphy.
I made some nice framed gifts.
I learned 2 styles, Gothic and Chancery Italic.
Gothic was the easiest for my brain to comprehend because it was straight lines and angles.
The other was similar to "Invitation" font in MSWord.

I still use the basic concepts.
It's nice to use when I go somewhere and I have to make myself a name tag.
People always are impressed at the calligraphy.
(My regular handwriting is not that pretty, though not bad.)

The main thing to concentrate on is maintaining the 45 degree angle of the pen nib.
Then practice shaping the letters.
I developed my own letters if I didn't find an example I liked.
But that was before the internet.
There must be hundreds of examples now.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
picture.php

Of course, I didn't do it by hand.
You said you wanted a sample.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
My grandmother taught me a bit of calligraphy, and I bought a couple of books on it years ago. If i had a calligraphy pen, I'd write something now, for kicks. If I remember to get one next time I'm out, I'll play.

Do you have any samples, Edahn?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My grandmother taught me a bit of calligraphy, and I bought a couple of books on it years ago. If i had a calligraphy pen, I'd write something now, for kicks. If I remember to get one next time I'm out, I'll play.

Do you have any samples, Edahn?

I'll do something clever and scan it in at work tomorrow or Wednesday. Prolly Wednesday. :)

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
HELLLLOOOOOO! I'm a calligraphy enthusiast (mostly Western. I took a class on Chinese calligraphy, but sucked at it). I highly recommend The Art of Calligraphy by David Harris; it has a nice variety of scripts and gives you the historical background of each one. Woohoo! I'll upload some of my stuff in the next day or so.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
HELLLLOOOOOO! I'm a calligraphy enthusiast (mostly Western. I took a class on Chinese calligraphy, but sucked at it). I highly recommend The Art of Calligraphy by David Harris; it has a nice variety of scripts and gives you the historical background of each one. Woohoo! I'll upload some of my stuff in the next day or so.
Yay! :)

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Haha, I just realized that I had some Mahler libretto on the white board at work :D. I took 2 cell pic.s of that, drew an MBTIc, took a picture of that, and attached 'em here. OK, these are dry-erase board markers, so they're lame. I'll upload some real calligraphy samples later.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Haha, I just realized that I had some Mahler libretto on the white board at work :D. I took 2 cell pic.s of that, drew an MBTIc, took a picture of that, and attached 'em here. OK, these are dry-erase board markers, so they're lame. I'll upload some real calligraphy samples later.
Beautiful!

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3

very nice phoenix the two colors look particularly good.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I started getting into calligraphy a long time ago, but I haven't picked up the pen in years. It's fun to do. :)

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Those are badass. I'll get the book. Does it have Copperplate?

It does. The full title is the art of calligraphy a practical guide to the skills and techniques. You get:

imperial C(C=capitals), rustic, unical, squareC, half unical, insular majuscule and miniscule, caroline miniscule, early gothic, textura quadrata and prescisus, gothic C, Lombardic C, Bastard Secretary (yes, that's a real script), Bastard C, Batarde, Fraktur, rotunda, rotunda C, humanist miniscule, italic, humanist C, copperplate, and copperplate C. *whew* Most of them have both C and lowercase. This book delivers, man.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Okay. Here's my attempt. I suck balls at capital letters and I wasn't writing with a guide, which I should have been. It's also with a pencil instead of a pen because my pen sucks. I see some of the mistakes and I could probably fix it, but oh well. Here's my submission.
View attachment 2629

MBTI Type
ENTP
So weird...posting in Art & Entertainment. I feel like I should do an interpretive dance before posting.

Anyway, I'm getting into calligraphy. Right now, just standard American calligraphy. I was wondering if any of you do calligraphy. If so, how did you pick it up, and tips do you have?

Since that'll probably get zero to -3 responses, I thought it'd be fun to do a calligraphy challenge. The challenge will be to pen, scan, and upload the following words:

"Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Central"

If anyone actually tries to do this, we can have a poll at the end to select the winner. If you just want to sketch or draw or doodle, that's fine too (as long as it says the words above.

Ready?

GO!

I can't believe I missed this. I love calligraphy. I'll get on it.