12311 Last

The Illusive Man... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Default Asynartetic, Brain, and Jack's Simply Smashing Sci-fi Symposium...

Submitted for your consideration. A Forum called Typology Central, it exists in a place between the tangible and the conceptual. Much Like Science Fiction as a Genre. Perhaps one of the most curious mediums for the philosophy of the now translated and given context in the worlds of the forgotten pieces of the past, and the myriad paths and possibilities of the future. By Science Fiction we examine what is through the lens of what may be.

In this thread it is our hope; that through our myriads views of science fiction perhaps we can come to a better understanding of ourselves, and where our futures may lie beyond the final frontier, where our dreams are limited only by what could be...

The rules are simple: Respect each other. Have fun. Think. Enjoy...

To begin we'll post a weekly discussion in bold. If you wish to submit a topic for discussion feel free to Pm myself with your topic, and a few points you'd like to see discussed. Participation is voluntary. And as the topics diversify so to shall the thread.

In the mean time...

If you've got an interest: Let's sound off with your favorite sci fi franchise and a reason why?
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

There is an idea of a Gentleman Jack; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...

MBTI
    ENxP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

My fave of all time I would have to say is the Hitchhikers guide to the Universe for many reasons. One is that the humor resonates very well with me in many ways and I can get the humor like a fish gets water. Another thing I really liked was the zanyness of the tech featured in the series and the borderline fact its all plausible and a far more accurate picture of what I think a future galaxy wide culture would look like than the ultra Utopian crystal spires or 40K style dystopian nightmares. I also love all the characters and how they are all so larger than life.
    http://kevan.org/jh/cat+brainze

http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Cat+Brainze

Everyone beloved inventor cat

I give the people what they want nothing more nothing less

Ether embrace change and advance or stay in the stone age

9w1 7w6 3w4
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

My favorites are Alien, Star Trek and Mad Max

Star Trek because it asks questions that make us reflect on the human condition. It’s really a very relevant, present-oriented series in the guise of a future utopia. It’s topical and to me that’s a key feature in great science fiction

Mad Max because behind the fantastic chases and outrageous imagery it’s basically a play on the heroes journey as well as a cautionary tale.

Alien series because I like how it’s a Future series that goes in another direction than Trek. It’s basically all humanity’s worst qualities surviving and ruling the future. The xenomorph is not the true villain.

Also Children of Men and The Planet of the Apes franchise (original and reboots)
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Cat Brainz liked this post

The Illusive Man... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    My favorites are Alien, Star Trek and Mad Max
    I'd forgotten all about the alien franchise. I dont know if I've forgiven Ridley Scott for doing Prometheus. The alternate reality where del Torro releases The Mountains of Madness is way cooler. But I'm aesthetically biased. I'm looking at you Crimson Peak and Hellboy. But yeah, wow, growing up I loved the alien franchise. I also went through a brief Hitchhikers guide phase that many claim persists to this day. Interesting if true.
    So If I had to pick a favorite sci fi for me, apart from the obvious. The Twilight Zone. They scared the ever loving fuck out of me when I was little, but I loved Rod Sterling's narration so I pushed through the fear. I probably wouldn't have the same appreciation for sci fi without it. I dont even know if sci fi as we know it would exist either. But that's true literally everything in the genre. Blade Runner was quite good too. Krull. Kinda walks the line between sci-fi and fantasy but I think it holds up.

All right ladies and Gentlemen we've gotten a few of the founders faves; but we'd love to hear about you're favorite sci and why. We're gonna keep this topic rolling for the rest of the week. But don't forget: If there's a sci fi subject you'd like to see in the symposium pm @Gentleman Jack with your topics. Looking forward to great things to come; but in the mean time. The discussion is on, and we're open for business...
    With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

There is an idea of a Gentleman Jack; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...

Wei 18 - Sie 39 agentwashington's Avatar
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None

*gestures at username*
    “Don’t use your strength to oppress, (but also) don’t let your weakness make you feel helpless.”
    - Rurouni Kenshin

“This world is beautiful. People can love each other and live life respecting each other. Someday everyone will come to realize that and this will become a beautiful world full of only such people.”
    - Kino no Tabi
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Merced liked this post

Twilight Zone.

I see the tropes from it in your original post.

What I would be interested in is if we linked a video clip or show and then discussed it each week. There's a bunch of complete Ray Bradbury films and episodes of his TV show on youtube, I've probably watched them all but I'd give them a watch again and discuss them if its an idea.
    Likes Cat Brainz, Gentleman Jack liked this post

Jack, brainz

^pretty much everything you mentioned I love. I absolutely love The Twilight Zone. It still creeps me out. Rod Serling is great, he really is like some sort of bizarro universe Mr Rogers. That series aged pretty well for the most part and some of the morality plays and themes are timeless and still relevant. Serling by the way wrote the first draft for the screenplay of the original Planet of the Apes. Shame he died so young but then he smoked like a chimney.

Oh, and The Matrix

I like the philosophical undertones. Lots of Plato and Buddhism in those films. Nietzsche et al. It shows that the wachowskis were well-read

- - - Updated - - -

District 9. This needs a sequel.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

*shoot* Wish I was invited to this club, except for maybe all those rules. Oh, well.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I’m watching How The Universe Works S5 E9 Strangest Alien Worlds.

I’ll be back.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper