• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

College football

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Edit: What's the worst beating a top 5 team has ever taken? This has to be up there.

There have been a few pretty ugly pastings like this in bowl games... USC v. Oklahoma a few years back, and I'm recalling a very ugly Nebraska-Florida game a few years before that too... and whatever bowl sells out and brings in Notre Dame to play sacrificial lamb to a better team... again :D. Okay, bedtime... really this time. Gnight.

Actually, ESPN had a graphic up on a story today that listed the worst losses by top-2 ranked teams today:
Margin Teams Date
48 No. 1 Army 48, No. 2 Notre Dame 0 11/10/45
44 No. 5 Oklahoma 65, No. 2 Texas Tech 21 11/22/08
43 Holy Cross 55, No. 1 Boston College 12 11/28/42
38 No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24 1/2/96 (Fiesta Bowl)
36 No. 1 USC 55, No. 2 Oklahoma 19 1/4/05 (Orange Bowl)

I remembered better than I'd thought on the USC/Oklahoma and Nebraska/Florida blowouts - but this one last night was worse.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Although I agree... I think Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida all beat Alabama on a neutral field (and Florida will get the chance)... I don't see USC much, but they're likely in the same category... if Tech played the way they had until this game, I'd say the same for them. If I *had* to pick a #1 vs. #2, I'd say Florida vs. Oklahoma right now - with Texas a very close and worthy 2.5. Anyway, bedtime for me. G'night.

I'm not a fan, but I see USC all the time because of where I live, and they are definitely in that class. Like Lateralus said, the offense isn't QUITE the caliber of these other teams, but they do have three legit tailbacks and the defense pitched three shutouts in a row. I agree with both of you, if I had to pick a national championship game right now, I'd pit Oklahoma and Florida. Alabama's ranking is just a reflection of the fact that nobody will ever drop a team from #1 unless they lose. Which is ridiculous.

I love how Oklahoma put in the backup QB so they can throw without looking like they're running it up, hah. I'm off to watch my tape of Syracuse beating some Irish ass. I can't believe I wasn't home for that. :doh:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, somebody better run over to Jeffster's house and make sure his head isn't in the oven.

:laugh: Nah, life goes on, man. Tomorrow I'm gonna have fun at the Renaissance Festival with my family, and Monday I get to taunt my co-worker for being too chicken to bet on Oklahoma when he had the chance. This game sucked, but life is good.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I though OU was going to win, but I didn't think it'd be THAT bad. We got steamrolled.

I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.

I think it'd be a toss-up between Tech and Alabama, and USC is rather sporadic from week-to-week, so its difficult to determine how they'll play, but I don't think they deserve to be considered for the National Championship. And I say that as a lifelong 'SC fan (part of my bias against UT, Kelric). From what I've seen, USC reminds me very much of the Cowboys, in that they have alot of position-specific talent, yet don't seem to mesh well with each other. They seem soft on offense (too many horizontal runs/long passes), and on defense they appear to always go for the knock-out hit (don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just not a team mentality). OU/UT and Florida will make a great championship game.

I'd have liked for Tech to go, but after this game, there's no way I can even try to say they deserve it.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
floridalogo.jpg

ygolo

My termites win
I was wrong about Texas Tech, and hopefully they can pick up their morale against Baylor.

There is still the Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State, and the Big 12 Championship game too.

I still say Alabama is overrated. I haven't been watching Florida, but I guess we'll find out how they fair against each other.

MBTI Type
INTJ
That Gator looks awfully apprehensive. He's looking down at his feet like he's afraid a mouse is going to trip him up.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
That Gator looks awfully apprehensive. He's looking down at his feet like he's afraid a mouse is going to trip him up.
*scowl*

He's just trying to make you feel comfortable so he can lure you in for the kill.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Actually, ESPN had a graphic up on a story today that listed the worst losses by top-2 ranked teams today:
Margin Teams Date
48 No. 1 Army 48, No. 2 Notre Dame 0 11/10/45
44 No. 5 Oklahoma 65, No. 2 Texas Tech 21 11/22/08
43 Holy Cross 55, No. 1 Boston College 12 11/28/42
38 No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24 1/2/96 (Fiesta Bowl)
36 No. 1 USC 55, No. 2 Oklahoma 19 1/4/05 (Orange Bowl)

I remembered better than I'd thought on the USC/Oklahoma and Nebraska/Florida blowouts - but this one last night was worse.
So before Tech scored that last TD, they were in line for the worst defeat by a #2 team, ever. I thought OU was going to make it 72-14, too.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw this on tigerboard.com as a way that Mizzou can pull off the upset against OU tomorrow:

user7286_75.jpg

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I saw this on tigerboard.com as a way that Mizzou can pull off the upset against OU tomorrow:

user7286_75.jpg

As a Texas fan, I have to admit I'd like to see Oklahoma lose, but even this plan (assuming it worked) reduces the expected score to something like 40-30, instead of 60-30. Mizzou's defense just hasn't played nearly as well as they did last year - I think that'll cost them.

MBTI Type
INTJ
If Mizzou employs this tactic and Oklahoma still wins, then Bradford should win the Heisman, and they should change the pose on the statue from the traditional stiff-arm to a guy curled up on the ground holding his nuts.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Watching the Mizzou-OU game... This is getting ugly. 38-7 OU... at halftime. Although I'd love to see Texas play in the national championship game, I have to admit that a Florida/Oklahoma game shows signs of being a very fun matchup, and although I think Texas is worthy too, you certainly can't say that Oklahoma and Florida don't deserve their chance.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Take THAT, MacMuffin!

gatorfb.gif

gators_celebrate.jpg

britany-florida-cheer_p1.jpg

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Florida won't even have to try. They're playing Chokelahoma. They're great during the regular season, but an embarrassment in BCS games.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Heisman Trophy

So Sam Bradford won the Heisman trophy... he's certainly a worthy winner, but I admit that I was pulling for Colt McCoy. I can't help but think that if Texas had been in the Big 12 Championship game (if Tech hadn't gotten that last-second TD to keep Texas from an undefeated season, or if they'd been chosen over Oklahoma by virtue of their head-to-head victory), that Colt might likely have won.

They say that the Heisman goes to "the best offensive skill-position player on the best team" and isn't truly indicative of the true "best player" anyway, but it's strange to think that such small things out of the control of the player in question can have such an impact on the final results. I think it's largely just the difficulty in comparing lots of great players, who are really not all that comparable by any good definition.

I did like Sam's acceptance speech, though. I mean, it's always cliche to hear the winner thank his teammates, but it's nice to hear anyway. Good job to all three, and it should be fun seeing Oklahoma and Florida play in January.