User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Edit: What's the worst beating a top 5 team has ever taken? This has to be up there.
    There have been a few pretty ugly pastings like this in bowl games... USC v. Oklahoma a few years back, and I'm recalling a very ugly Nebraska-Florida game a few years before that too... and whatever bowl sells out and brings in Notre Dame to play sacrificial lamb to a better team... again . Okay, bedtime... really this time. Gnight.

Actually, ESPN had a graphic up on a story today that listed the worst losses by top-2 ranked teams today:
    Margin Teams Date
    48 No. 1 Army 48, No. 2 Notre Dame 0 11/10/45
    44 No. 5 Oklahoma 65, No. 2 Texas Tech 21 11/22/08
    43 Holy Cross 55, No. 1 Boston College 12 11/28/42
    38 No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24 1/2/96 (Fiesta Bowl)
    36 No. 1 USC 55, No. 2 Oklahoma 19 1/4/05 (Orange Bowl)

I remembered better than I'd thought on the USC/Oklahoma and Nebraska/Florida blowouts - but this one last night was worse.
    Last edited by kelric; 11-23-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: to add additional info...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Although I agree... I think Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida all beat Alabama on a neutral field (and Florida will get the chance)... I don't see USC much, but they're likely in the same category... if Tech played the way they had until this game, I'd say the same for them. If I *had* to pick a #1 vs. #2, I'd say Florida vs. Oklahoma right now - with Texas a very close and worthy 2.5. Anyway, bedtime for me. G'night.
    I'm not a fan, but I see USC all the time because of where I live, and they are definitely in that class. Like Lateralus said, the offense isn't QUITE the caliber of these other teams, but they do have three legit tailbacks and the defense pitched three shutouts in a row. I agree with both of you, if I had to pick a national championship game right now, I'd pit Oklahoma and Florida. Alabama's ranking is just a reflection of the fact that nobody will ever drop a team from #1 unless they lose. Which is ridiculous.

I love how Oklahoma put in the backup QB so they can throw without looking like they're running it up, hah. I'm off to watch my tape of Syracuse beating some Irish ass. I can't believe I wasn't home for that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Also, somebody better run over to Jeffster's house and make sure his head isn't in the oven.
    Nah, life goes on, man. Tomorrow I'm gonna have fun at the Renaissance Festival with my family, and Monday I get to taunt my co-worker for being too chicken to bet on Oklahoma when he had the chance. This game sucked, but life is good.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

I though OU was going to win, but I didn't think it'd be THAT bad. We got steamrolled.

I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.
    I think it'd be a toss-up between Tech and Alabama, and USC is rather sporadic from week-to-week, so its difficult to determine how they'll play, but I don't think they deserve to be considered for the National Championship. And I say that as a lifelong 'SC fan (part of my bias against UT, Kelric). From what I've seen, USC reminds me very much of the Cowboys, in that they have alot of position-specific talent, yet don't seem to mesh well with each other. They seem soft on offense (too many horizontal runs/long passes), and on defense they appear to always go for the knock-out hit (don't get me wrong, I like it, it's just not a team mentality). OU/UT and Florida will make a great championship game.

I'd have liked for Tech to go, but after this game, there's no way I can even try to say they deserve it.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I... suppose. Yeah!

I was wrong about Texas Tech, and hopefully they can pick up their morale against Baylor.

There is still the Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State, and the Big 12 Championship game too.

I still say Alabama is overrated. I haven't been watching Florida, but I guess we'll find out how they fair against each other.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

That Gator looks awfully apprehensive. He's looking down at his feet like he's afraid a mouse is going to trip him up.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

That Gator looks awfully apprehensive. He's looking down at his feet like he's afraid a mouse is going to trip him up.
    *scowl*

He's just trying to make you feel comfortable so he can lure you in for the kill.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Actually, ESPN had a graphic up on a story today that listed the worst losses by top-2 ranked teams today:
    Margin Teams Date
    48 No. 1 Army 48, No. 2 Notre Dame 0 11/10/45
    44 No. 5 Oklahoma 65, No. 2 Texas Tech 21 11/22/08
    43 Holy Cross 55, No. 1 Boston College 12 11/28/42
    38 No. 1 Nebraska 62, No. 2 Florida 24 1/2/96 (Fiesta Bowl)
    36 No. 1 USC 55, No. 2 Oklahoma 19 1/4/05 (Orange Bowl)

I remembered better than I'd thought on the USC/Oklahoma and Nebraska/Florida blowouts - but this one last night was worse.
    So before Tech scored that last TD, they were in line for the worst defeat by a #2 team, ever. I thought OU was going to make it 72-14, too.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Man, don't Penn State look like assholes now?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"