User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Watching all the big-confrence action really makes me pissed off that my hometown team (BSU) is in the WAC. Jesus the WAC sucks. The only moment of glory we had was when we took it to Oregon's house. Now we have to sit, wait out the last couple of absurdly easy matchups we got and cross our fingers for a generous BCS Bowl matchup. :steam:
    Heh - I grew up in Boise (I actually remember the installation of the smurf-turf). BSU has really been enormously fortunate to be in the position they're in these days - they've only even been in division 1-A for what... 10 years or so? I know that when I was in college they were 1-AA (as was Idaho, where I went to college). Back in those days Idaho was running up a 10-year winning streak on BSU. Times have changed. And for the "moment of glory" - all you have to do is go back a few years to the BSU/Oklahoma Fiesta bowl. One of the all-time great games in college football history - can't get too greedy .

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Watching all the big-confrence action really makes me pissed off that my hometown team (BSU) is in the WAC. Jesus the WAC sucks. The only moment of glory we had was when we took it to Oregon's house. Now we have to sit, wait out the last couple of absurdly easy matchups we got and cross our fingers for a generous BCS Bowl matchup. :steam:
    I feel for Ball State, but if they want to be in the mix, it's incumbent on their AD to be very aggressive when putting together their nonconference schedule. Scheduling big time teams and beating them will help immeasurably. To draw a parallel with basketball, that's why Temple consistently makes the NCAA tournament despite playing in a mediocre conference and rarely winning 20 games a season...they always play a murderous nonconference schedule.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I feel for Ball State, but if they want to be in the mix, it's incumbent on their AD to be very aggressive when putting together their nonconference schedule. Scheduling big time teams and beating them will help immeasurably. To draw a parallel with basketball, that's why Temple consistently makes the NCAA tournament despite playing in a mediocre conference and rarely winning 20 games a season...they always play a murderous nonconference schedule.
    He's talking about Boise State (the other BSU) - but it applies even more to Ball State, now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    He's talking about Boise State (the other BSU) - but it applies even more to Ball State, now that you mention it.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm embarrassed for Texas Tech. This is really, really ugly...but to be honest, not completely unexpected. They're down 64-14 as I type this message. When Oklahoma is executing like this, there's nobody in college that can beat them. I'd like to see them play the Rams or Lions. It might be a good game.

Oklahoma was my preseason pick to win the national title.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.

Johari
    /Nohari

Also, somebody better run over to Jeffster's house and make sure his head isn't in the oven.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm embarrassed for Texas Tech. This is really, really ugly...but to be honest, not completely unexpected.
    Yeah - you have to feel bad for them... those TT defensive guys are just exhausted, you can tell. I didn't think it would be *this* bad, but pretty much nobody goes into Norman and wins - especially with how well Oklahoma's been playing lately. That part of it's no surprise.

Oh my... that was ugly... the TT kickoff return guy almost couldn't find the ball in the end zone... I think I'm going to go to bed... I was hoping Oklahoma would win a close game (I'm a Texas fan), but this is just brutal.

Sorry Jeff and Neo - looks like Tech's chance at a championship are over . (Although they can still win the Big 12 - it looks unlikely)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'd like to see Oklahoma play Florida in the title game. I'm not sure if USC has the offense to hang with either of those two. Then again, they might not need to hang, they might pitch a shut out. Their D is sick.

I'm so glad Penn State lost. The title game should actually be worth watching.

Edit: What's the worst beating a top 5 team has ever taken? This has to be up there.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm curious as to how people reconcile this with their vote. Everyone's talking about how you can't have Texas behind Oklahoma because they beat 'em straight up. But Tech beat Texas, Texas beat Oklahoma, and Oklahoma beat Tech. No way you can choose between those three based simply on head to head. Whoever you rank highest will have been beaten by one of the other two. To me, that means you ignore head to head and rank Oklahoma highest.

That said, I think all three of them, plus Florida and USC, beat Alabama.
    Yeah... as much as I hate to say it, your logic makes sense. The only thing Texas really has going for them is that of the three teams, they won their game on a neutral field, and *almost* won in Lubbock. Both Oklahoma's and Tech's wins came at home in front of loud, noisy, partisan crowds. Another note however, is that Oklahoma's played tougher non-conference teams than either Texas or Tech.

Although I agree... I think Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida all beat Alabama on a neutral field (and Florida will get the chance)... I don't see USC much, but they're likely in the same category... if Tech played the way they had until this game, I'd say the same for them. If I *had* to pick a #1 vs. #2, I'd say Florida vs. Oklahoma right now - with Texas a very close and worthy 2.5. Anyway, bedtime for me. G'night.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]