• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

the good thing about having terrible music

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
you get to bash and make fun how ridiculous the songs and music sounds and how much it sucks. you get to appreciate some of the classic materials because they aged well in people's eyes.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That kind of ironic entertainment is fun, but so much better alongside the unironic kind - just a sincere love of strangeness and an appreciation that many sorts of strange can only be found in mistakes.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We make fun of people who speak of music being better “back in their day” but there may be something to this.

Many of the pop songs today are penned by a small number of songwriters. Music today tends to be compressed more during the recording and mixing stage, which can squeeze the life out of a song. An increasingly smaller palette of instrumentation is used in music, often in the form of generic drum machine beats and synths leading to a lot of music sounding similar or identical. Effects, while having potential to enhance music, often have the opposite effect as they can be used to create music that sounds over-produced, and can be a substitute for talent and practice (i.e. auto tuned vocals).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We make fun of people who speak of music being better “back in their day” but there may be something to this.

Many of the pop songs today are penned by a small number of songwriters. Music today tends to be compressed more during the recording and mixing stage, which can squeeze the life out of a song. An increasingly smaller palette of instrumentation is used in music, often in the form of generic drum machine beats and synths leading to a lot of music sounding similar or identical. Effects, while having potential to enhance music, often have the opposite effect as they can be used to create music that sounds over-produced, and can be a substitute for talent and practice (i.e. auto tuned vocals).

There’s an acoustic song I heard on satellite radio from Vance Joy and I had to turn it off. I like his voice but when he is singing the chorus he is flat. It hurt my ears. I’m like, what producer gave the okay to release this?

He was singing the song the way it was recorded (auto tune) and not for his vocal capabilities live. His voice is good but not good enough to hit the notes he was trying for. It’s normal to change it up live, tune down or something but he didn’t. It made me judge him. Lol.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There’s an acoustic song I heard on satellite radio from Vance Joy and I had to turn it off. I like his voice but when he is singing the chorus he is flat. It hurt my ears. I’m like, what producer gave the okay to release this?

He was singing the song the way it was recorded (auto tune) and not for his vocal capabilities live. His voice is good but not good enough to hit the notes he was trying for. It’s normal to change it up live, tune down or something but he didn’t. It made me judge him. Lol.

Sometimes I think The flatness of a lot of newer recordings might also have to do with music being mixed with shitty earbud speakers in mind.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I have noticed this when I listened to older songs. I do like electronic and Vocaloid music though. But it is nice to listen to a more emotive singing voice. Some indie singers at least I think still use their voice in a nice way thankfully.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mainstream pop has long since been generally poor, or gone through poor periods. I still carry the emotional scars of the Stock, Aitken and Waterman years.

Good points. You can do some amazing things with synthesizers but even then the composer has to be able to layer sounds that actually sound like music. Synth groups have done it since the late 70’s but a lot of them were traditional musicians before switching to all electronic. Now you have people throwing uninspired simplistic beats down with people who can’t sing worth a damn repeating the same three or four sentences over and over. It’s simplistic crap that takes zero talent to produce. Popular music has always gone the simple route to some degree but it’s even more watered down now.

I’m an old man but I’ve heard plenty of teens and young adults looking to music before their time because it took talent to make and had lyrics that actually said something beyond let’s have sex. Although to be fair some of it was definitely all about sex and drugs and rock n roll. There are still talented new music acts out there but you’re very unlikely to hear them being played on the same sources that supply bubblegum pop (or wtf it’s referred to now) like Bieber and Cyrus.

Icaro10100

You're 100% right. If all music were good then there wouldn't be good music, just music. We need the garbage to point out how bad it is and boost the value of the songs we like and our egos. It doesn't just apply to songs, it's true for every thing.