• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Driving games?

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread (http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/bonfire/8853-how-old-were-you-when-you-learned-how-drive.html) and my own learning to drive got me wondering what driving games might be out there that do at least a somewhat reasonable job of modeling automobile handling physics (ideally something that models having to shift between forward and reverse instead of up and down on the controller), and have a city simulation/environment that does not have a time limit (or a very long time limit if there is one).

Driving games are not something I normally enjoy, but I figure there are probably at least some that do a decent job that are not racing games. Stuff like GTA, how well is the driving portion done and how realistic/plausible is the traffic in those games - could you play it as a driving sim trying to get used to driving with traffic and parking? I only have a PC and PS2 currently connected but I have a DC, PS1 and N64 in storage that should still work, so any recommendations on those platforms would be preferred but I'd still like comments on the newer consoles as well to get an idea of what all is out there.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Grand Turismo 4 is probably the most realistic driving simulator out there currently. However, it is focused on racing, not "normal" traffic situations. Good for understanding the physics of it though, with regards to how steering is affected by line, speed and when you brake.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
My favorite is Fast & Furious Drift. Mostly for the amazing detail in all of the scenery that you can crash into. :D