• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your favourite Shakespeare play?

Lark

I have read many of them, seen some adaptations to film, I think my favourite is The Merchant of Venice, I dont believe its anti-semitic, I'm not sure what would be second place as I like them all equally or at least it is very hard to judge.

I visited the globe theatre in London once, with my brother and a mate, we didnt see a play though and he, he's a frequent flyer and going to London is no bother to him, suggested that I book a flight and make a point of coming back when a show is on that I like.

Starry

I've never read that one before.

Why hello Mr. Specter...

Yah...it's considered controversial in this day and age and so it won't appear on many of the "Top 10 Shakespearean Plays" lists. It's funny because the OP added to the naming of his favorite (The Merchant of Venice) that he doesn't think it is antisemitic... and so I shall add that I don't think The Taming of the Shrew is sexist... I really don't not at all...but I can see I guess how it could be taken that way.

You should definitely read it. But I will tell you that if you have seen/read a romantic comedy where the couple starts out as enemies... (the two strongly dislike each other and slowly fall in love over the course of the story) then you have seen/read The Taming of the Shrew.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This question is too hard to answer and makes me want to see a bunch of them again to decide which one I like best.

The chief contenders are probably Macbeth, King Lear, Othello, The Merchant of Venice, and The Tempest. I also have a special soft spot for A Midsummer Night's Dream as that's the first one I read all the way through and one of the first I saw performed.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I love Taming of the Shrew. I've seen several stage productions and the movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton who were perfect for their roles. I don't care that it's sexist and unpopular for the moment. That will change as it has many times over the centuries. I like Hamlet, As You Like It and we saw a great performance of King Lear this summer.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Anyone who doesn't say A Midsummer's Night Dream is lying

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why hello Mr. Specter...

Yah...it's considered controversial in this day and age and so it won't appear on many of the "Top 10 Shakespearean Plays" lists. It's funny because the OP added to the naming of his favorite (The Merchant of Venice) that he doesn't think it is antisemitic... and so I shall add that I don't think The Taming of the Shrew is sexist... I really don't not at all...but I can see I guess how it could be taken that way.
I remember thinking that it was sexist when I saw a production if it in college, but that was college me. Maybe I'd think differently if I saw/read it again.

Starry

I remember thinking that it was sexist when I saw a production if it in college, but that was college me. Maybe I'd think differently if I saw/read it again.

I've actually been thinking about this a bit today. I know I said above "I guess I can understand why people would see it this way" <-but on second thought I really don't. You would have to be doing only a surface read on it is sorta what I have considered.

Yes...he sets out to "tame" her because he's a con artist and a drunkard and is only after her substantial dowry. In other words, his treatment of her is based on being a con not a chauvinist if that makes sense... And if you notice all other women in this play are treated very equally and well which was the way let me tell you especially when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne there...England had two back to back badass queens during Shakespeare's time.

But also because they were equals. They were both trying to outsmart each other. He loved her because she wasn't tame. He loved her because she wasn't obedient. They tamed each other. They were each other's match.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've actually been thinking about this a bit today. I know I said above "I guess I can understand why people would see it this way" <-but on second thought I really don't. You would have to be doing only a surface read on it is sorta what I have considered.

Yes...he sets out to "tame" her because he's a con artist and a drunkard and is only after her substantial dowry. In other words, his treatment of her is based on being a con not a chauvinist if that makes sense... And if you notice all other women in this play are treated very equally and well which was the way let me tell you especially when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne there...England had two back to back badass queens during Shakespeare's time.

But also because they were equals. They were both trying to outsmart each other. He loved her because she wasn't tame. He loved her because she wasn't obedient. They tamed each other. They were each other's match.

I don't remember this play well (I've never seen it performed, which has to change!!!) but if the rest of Shakespeare's comedies/romance plots are anything to go by, he was far too aware of male frailty to be a common or garden variety sexist.

Starry

I don't remember this play well (I've never seen it performed, which has to change!!!) but if the rest of Shakespeare's comedies/romance plots are anything to go by, he was far too aware of male frailty to be a common or garden variety sexist.

I love you.

(I actually started out typing "I love the way you phrase things"...but ended-up with "I love you" which is how I knew what I really wanted to say...)

My need to see again play is Othello