123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Blade Runner 2049

I am looking for a prior solitary thread about this and did not see one. might as well set one up, or merge this if we do find another. (The Search function here is whack and Google didn't find anything either.)

Anyway: It drops on Oct 6, and found this today:
    Blade Runner 2049 Buzz: Critics Are Raving About the Long-Awaited Sequel << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I'm still leery, but I've touted Denis Villeneuve here before. If anyone can do a decent sequel movie, he's one of the best possible choices. The tone and approach and skillset fits right into his strengths. Any praise currently hitting social media from folks who have screened the film is directed towards, well, the directing as well as the cinematography.

I think I've heard complaints about picking Zimmer to do the score, but that's all so far. Also:
    Soundtrack: Jóhann Jóhannsson, who had worked with Villeneuve on Prisoners, Sicario and Arrival, was announced as composer. Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch joined in July 2017. In September, Jóhannsson's agent confirmed that he was no longer involved with the film, but was contractually forbidden from commenting.[49]
    The film has been rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America for "violence, some sexuality, nudity, and language."[55]
    The film has been reported to have a run time of 2 hours and 43 minutes, including 11 minutes of credits.[3]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    8w9

My most anticipated film of the year. The director and cinematographer are on a hot streak.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Villeneuve is probably my "current" fave director, and that was before "Arrival" released.

I still have to watch Incendies -- I have the bluray.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    8w9

Villanueve is my fave working director. Sicario blew my mind and Arrival was great.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My issue so far that makes me wary is that the weight of the first movie, and the charm of the PKD story, is that it's very personal and ultimately small scale. From what I can see Villanueve is making this about events that matter on a grand scale within the world, I feel like it could go wayward. It could be a great movie, but maybe it wouldn't be a spiritual successor to Blade Runner. More like Alien -> Prometheus.
    Likes Video liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

.... oh god did you curse this film by name-dropping Prometheus in the thread?

Likes Qlip, Video, Abcdenfp liked this post

No Vangelis? I'm out.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Metcritic's got it at 85/100 right now (23 reviews).
    I find them a little more helpful than RT in terms of actual quality.

Blade Runner 2049 Reviews - Metacritic

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One of the best movies I have seen all year.

It takes themes and concepts from the original Blade Runner and tells its own story, expanding on those themes. Villeneuve also isn't afraid to take his time (which I guess the 2:45 runtime shows) -- he lets the scene breathe at their own pace, it reminds me of the opening of Scott's "Alien" which tracks the crew for a good 45-55 minutes before crazy stuff happens. Here, stuff is happening, but he lets the movie be about the characters and how they experience each scene

It looks pretty amazing in 3D on the big screen. The soundtrack is really more about buttressing the emotional moodiness of the film. There are scenes between K and Joi that are just beautiful and painful. I think Leto has less screen time than Ford, maybe, if you tallied it all; Ford is great. Probably the weakest character is Robin Wright's -- she's a great actress, it's just her character doesn't have much through-line, she acts more like a plot point and/or motivator.

There's a few good twists I won't share. I do like that about Villeneuve's films, they all typically have a few surprises, but they never end up being what you think in the long term and they work to establish a more realistic big picture versus something totally fanciful. I like how his work is usually grounded.

The spoiler button here contains a link to an article that explains a lot of points of the film. It's worth reading after you see the movie, but not before, because it is laden (almost immediately) with spoilers.

Likes Qlip, Tomb1, Isk Stark liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    One of the best movies I have seen all year.

It takes themes and concepts from the original Blade Runner and tells its own story, expanding on those themes. Villeneuve also isn't afraid to take his time (which I guess the 2:45 runtime shows) -- he lets the scene breathe at their own pace, it reminds me of the opening of Scott's "Alien" which tracks the crew for a good 45-55 minutes before crazy stuff happens. Here, stuff is happening, but he lets the movie be about the characters and how they experience each scene

It looks pretty amazing in 3D on the big screen. The soundtrack is really more about buttressing the emotional moodiness of the film. There are scenes between K and Joi that are just beautiful and painful. I think Leto has less screen time than Ford, maybe, if you tallied it all; Ford is great. Probably the weakest character is Robin Wright's -- she's a great actress, it's just her character doesn't have much through-line, she acts more like a plot point and/or motivator.

There's a few good twists I won't share. I do like that about Villeneuve's films, they all typically have a few surprises, but they never end up being what you think in the long term and they work to establish a more realistic big picture versus something totally fanciful. I like how his work is usually grounded.

The spoiler button here contains a link to an article that explains a lot of points of the film. It's worth reading after you see the movie, but not before, because it is laden (almost immediately) with spoilers.

All right, I'll take your word for it and buy that ticket for tonight.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes Qlip liked this post