• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blade Runner 2049

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Welp, I saw it and I'm glad I did. I'm going to start with the positive, it was beautiful, and had a lot of great ideas in it. I really liked how you really learned to accept Joi as time went on, and it added some extra complexity to the contemplation on artificial vs real theme. The music and the visuals were also beautiful, and the movie did what most movies don't, it wasn't afraid to try to be thoughtful and conceptually interesting.

The bad for me:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nothing Happens: The Movie

There was no story, Ryan Gosling just stumbled from one place to another, while random characters said vague, pointless shit under the guise of it being deep. Fuck that movie. You take away the pretty cinematography and all you have left is loud synthesizer noises.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those damn ISFPs, always playing with vaguosity.
Atakis - Know Thyself

"When in a fun environment, the ISFP may like to tease and be teased. In these circumstances ISFP s are very quick with word games and word play, skillfully participating and topping off fun and games within the group."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want the ability to fire missiles using Google glass.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want the ability to fire missiles using Google glass.

You're really active in this review thread. Maybe you really luuuv the movie? Mal and Bladerunner sitting in a tree....

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're really active in this review thread. Maybe you really luuuv the movie? Mal and Bladerunner sitting in a tree....

I'm not actually the topic here. The topic is actually Blade Runner 2049, a very slow and overly long movie which could have been made shorter by cutting out the irrelevant dialogue.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not actually the topic here. The topic is actually Blade Runner 2049, a very slow and overly long movie which could have been made shorter by cutting out the irrelevant dialogue.

That's right, pull those pigtails. :popc1:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really liked it. Probably my favorite movie of the year. I found it kind of annoying that some people behind me left two hours in because "there wasn't enough action." Not everything needs to have lots of action. I expected lots of cool vistas and visual treats, but what I didn't expect was that the whole thing was oddly moving. I found myself very invested in the story, and I think Gosling did some really excellent subtle acting. The twist took me by surprise as well, but it worked perfectly. I also really liked all the weird metallic noises on the soundtrack; much harsher than that of its predecessor. I'm surprised that people thought there wasn't much of a story. I really appreciated the fact that it expanded on the original, without aping it. It managed to do its own thing. This is what the very best sequels do. Hopefully, The Last Jedi will deliver in that regard. I think there is a chance that it might.

Does anyone think Wallace was much more of a prick than Tyrell? It's been a long time since I've seen the original, but Tyrell seemed almost fatherly, where as Wallace just came off as a megalomanic.

Tomb1

Saw it yesterday. Thought it was good but not great, not awful. It was worth seeing once but I would not watch it again. Logan I could watch again.

My positives:

My favorite part is the set design and props/special effects. The director created the world of the movie with a Tarkovskian attention to detail that made it believable. There's a couple of instances where stuff happens that has been done in other movies (to the best of my knowledge), but these moments are so far and few between that the movie never devolves into the formulaic Hollywood movie.

My negatives:

The plot was good enough to link the first blade runner into the second but I thought a couple of the plot points were forced and/or not really fleshed out. I mean the coming together of the story hinged on a really big coincidence. Although it's possible that this coincidence was part of a larger, pre-determined plan, that's not outlined in the film and, if it were, would make it even more forced.

To echo what has already been said, the characters kept their inner views inaccessible. That was a problem I had, the remoteness of their inner views. The characters had depth but the depth could only be accessed through obscure comments. I was like a detective having to piece together details strewn out here and there. Take that big replicant Sapper in the beginning of the movie, the one who buys and sells those worm looking things. That character carried around a special point of view on par with the perspective of an "apostle"....he's seen something. however you don't even really know that until two hours into the movie after he's been retired. It's similar with Ryan Gosling's character. The viewer is left to make educated guesses about his inner perspective, but the script never lays it out. It's only hinted at through the character's various reactions and responses. the moments of character revelation never come to the surface. To me, that was the best thing the characters had to offer in order to give the plot its much needed flesh. But because those moments never came watching the movie was like eating caviar instead of a juicy steak.

I found the movie totally devoid of theme. Are the hero and villain replicants freely choosing good or evil at the end or are they just doing what they are programmed to do...either interpretation works. You can read almost anything into the movie, from a pro-spiritual theme to a pro-atheist theme, from a pro-feminist theme to an anti-feminist theme, from a pro-free will theme to a pro-deterministic theme...hence all the agenda-driven movie reviews. The movie is so open-ended that multiple, conflicting interpretations hold up. This open-endedness somehow gave me, or reinforced for me, the impression that Ryan Gosling's character was simply hollow. I could not get into the replicant-as-hero or even the replicant-as-villain. At times the characters even looked like they were striking poses in order to create a neat visual...like sculptures in a museum.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Saw it yesterday. Thought it was good but not great, not awful. It was worth seeing once but I would not watch it again. Logan I could watch again.

My positives:

My favorite part is the set design and props/special effects. The director created the world of the movie with a Tarkovskian attention to detail that made it believable. The futuristic world didn't come across cheesy to me like, oh I don't know, the set of back to the future part II did. It was alien-like in its unfamiliarity to my senses. Closely linked to that is the originality. I mean, there's a couple of instances where stuff happens that has been done in other movies (to the best of my knowledge), but these moments are so far and few between that the movie never devolves into the formulaic Hollywood movie.

My negatives:

The plot was good enough to link the first blade runner into the second but I thought a couple of the plot points were forced and/or not really fleshed out. I mean the coming together of the story hinged on a really big coincidence. Although it's possible that this coincidence was part of a larger, pre-determined plan, that's not outlined in the film and, if it were, would make it even more forced.

To echo what has already been said, the characters kept their inner views inaccessible. That was a problem I had, the remoteness of their inner views. The characters had depth but the depth could only be accessed through obscure comments. I was like a detective having to piece together details strewn out here and there. Take that big replicant Sapper in the beginning of the movie, the one who buys and sells those worm looking things. That character carried around a special point of view on par with the perspective of an "apostle"....he's seen something. however you don't even really know that until two hours into the movie after he's been retired. It's similar with Ryan Gosling's character. The viewer is left to make educated guesses about his inner perspective, but the script never lays it out. It's only hinted at through the character's various reactions and responses. the moments of character revelation never come to the surface. To me, that was the best thing the characters had to offer in order to give the plot its much needed flesh. But because those moments never came watching the movie was like eating caviar instead of a juicy steak.

That was what I liked about. You could tell that there were things going on beneath the surface, and that Gosling was more than just a drone.

I found the movie totally devoid of theme. Are the hero and villain replicants freely choosing good or evil at the end or are they just doing what they are programmed to do...either interpretation works. You can read almost anything into the movie, from a pro-spiritual theme to a pro-atheist theme, from a pro-feminist theme to an anti-feminist theme, from a pro-free will theme to a pro-deterministic theme...hence all the agenda-driven movie reviews. The movie is so open-ended that multiple, conflicting interpretations hold up. This open-endedness somehow gave me, or reinforced for me, the impression that Ryan Gosling's character was simply hollow. I could not get into the replicant-as-hero or even the replicant-as-villain. At times the characters even looked like they were striking poses in order to create a neat visual...like sculptures in a museum.
[/quote]

I know Ridley Scott has been quite vocal in his belief that Deckard was a replicant, but this movie made it ambiguous. Personally, I prefer to think he's a human, because it makes the ending more hopefully, as it points towards the possibility of reconcillation between human and replicant. And it's been a while since I've seen the original, but I found Ryan Gosling more relatable than Deckard, really. Perhaps my opinion would change on a re-watch.

An interesting thing to me about the movie was that, as despised as the replicants were, they seemed to be "valued" by society somewhat more than the actual humans. I'm thinking of the orphanage;. There's the idea that Wright expresses that it's important to keep boundaries, but really, humans are treated as disposable, too. You get the sense that things on Earth had deteriorated to the point that anyone with the resources to do so had left. I know tche original talked about this a little bit with the mention of "off-world" colonies, but this one seemed to mention more about them. I initially thought this even had scenes set on Mars from the trailer, but that just turned out to be the abandoned Vegas of the future (and I thought the imagining of a retro-future Vegas was really cool and totally made sense). (Also, evidently, Los Angeles has become a megalopolis and San Diego is a big garbage dump.... all this makes me curious about what things are like on the East coast.)

I found lots of thematic reverberations, like for instance the recurrence of water as a motif. I'd also say birth and parenthood was a major theme.