User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    This show is fucking stupid in that it's lacking creativity and Seth MacFarlane is obnoxiously arrogant.

Someone had to say it.
    This, with just a little hope. I'll watch it if Seth does Star Trek (And I know it's supposed to be an homage and not a satire or straight comedy) better than he does humor, so far I haven't really heard that he's been able to pull it off. Otherwise I really can't bring myself to voluntarily watch his mug.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Atomic Fiend liked this post

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Watched the episode 3. It had a typical TNG moral dilemma story line. Liked it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I've only seen a bit of it, but this doesn't seem like a show that would fit under the comedy, or parody umbrella. It's an affectionate homage to Trek at most.

But it's also way, way, way, way, way to derivative. If McFarlene was denied trek, and wanted to make his own trek in response, I feel like he should have taken more liberties.

People will complain that new Star Trek isn't Star Trek enough but then when we get a show that's a spiritual successor to TNG, people complain it's too similar to Star Trek.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

People like what they like, and what they like doesn't always make sense or is even consistent. Art is subjective afterall and many things can effect ones enjoyment of said art. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy a series, and there are always infinite reasons to dislike a series.

I just hope it hangs around for more than one season, and that fox doesn't pressure Mcfarlane into amplifying the family guy style humor at the expense of storylines and topics like seen in episode #3.

I don't really mind the derivative elements, because nothing is blatantly ripping off Star Trek, at least not in terms of stealing trademarked elements. Star trek itself is guilty of "ripping off" countless elements from previous Science Fiction literature, film and TV.

MBTI
    estp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    People will complain that new Star Trek isn't Star Trek enough but then when we get a show that's a spiritual successor to TNG, people complain it's too similar to Star Trek.
    You mean voyager? it was fine. In fact it was better received than even ds9.i don't know how that happened. In fact most hardcore fans are mad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Fiend View Post
    I've only seen a bit of it, but this doesn't seem like a show that would fit under the comedy, or parody umbrella. It's an affectionate homage to Trek at most.

But it's also way, way, way, way, way to derivative. If McFarlene was denied trek, and wanted to make his own trek in response, I feel like he should have taken more liberties.

Affectionate homage it is. That's the best description of it so far.

Yes he could. Never thought about it. Maybe he wants it to be exactly the same? He is quite creative. The storylines of family guy on each episode is a good example. The endings (second half of each episode) drastically changes from the first half of each episode. So I doubt the SAMENESS is due to lack of creativity.

I thought Voyager worked well if you looked at it like a sitcom minus the canned laughter, especially when you get into situations like Q Jr showing up, Doctor-oriented episodes, interactions between Tuvok and Neelix or Tom Paris (especially in Future's End where Tom Paris irritates the hell out of Tuvok). Even in the case of Q, I thought they emphasized him as a joker troll even more than they did when he appeared on TNG. Voyager just had a very serialized comedy feel. It was halfway to what the Orville and Galaxy Quest are. It bordered on self-parody more than any other Trek series.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The last episode reminded me of "The world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

I wonder if MacFarlane is going to keep stealing ideas from TOS?

Not that it was a bad episode. I liked it. The show seems to be maturing.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Liked the last episode, especially the last scene:

Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."