User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I think they are aiming for Harakiri. Perhaps we are being too negative. Anyway do you agree with what i said about TNG?

There is a feel good thing about TNG which the new series looks like it's desperately trying to lose. I think that is the main reason ST was a hit - the feel good vibes.

DS9 was the best written series but it didn't have that feeling. Which is why it was never a hit as much as TNG. Infact the averagely written Voyager series did better than DS9. It also had a feel good vibe. Perhaps that was the reason.

The Orville has it. Which is why I like it. I want it to do good, even if it means it would hit ST badly.

---

The movies will go on alteast. We can safely be hopeful for that. But man, they f&%ked up the movie timeline too.
    Agree on TNG. I think the Trek Franchise can essentially be divided into two styles: character driven and story/situation driven. TNG had some good character development but it was usually more in the latter category, serving as a vehicle for topical, situational driven stories. I'd say TOS and Voyager fit more into that category as well. So even though there were great character episodes, there was a tendency for the "reset button" to be hit at the end of every episode. DS9, most of the films were more character driven. Enterprise sort of skirted both categories. JJverse is definitely more a character series as well, not concerning itself too much with philosophical implications to the extent that it's a space opera.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This show is fucking stupid in that it's lacking creativity and Seth MacFarlane is obnoxiously arrogant.

Someone had to say it.
    Likes Atomic Fiend liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't know. Star Trek TNG turned out to be one of my favorite shows but Encounter At Farpoint wasn't exactly the best thing I've ever seen or even remotely close. I can think of several shows I really ended up enjoying that if I had judged their potential by the premiere I'd have stopped watching. Sci-fi shows are notoriously clunky in the beginning as they attempt to find their footing. It doesn't help if a show is suffering an identity crisis of major proportions right out of the gate. Further analysis is needed for me personally.

On a completely superficial level the chief security officer is ridiculously pretty.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The second episode of this series is looking a lot like The Menagerie from ST:TOS.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

People want instant gratification, a trait increasingly common since the post WWII age in America

It's even more apparent with the youngest generations, although I don't blame them--it's a symptom of the effects of the iPod and on demand viewing. So when you look at shows like Seinfeld and TNG, these are series that didn't really come into their own until the second or third seasons. But I wonder if these shows would have survived past the first season if they had debuted in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    I don't know. Star Trek TNG turned out to be one of my favorite shows but Encounter At Farpoint wasn't exactly the best thing I've ever seen or even remotely close. I can think of several shows I really ended up enjoying that if I had judged their potential by the premiere I'd have stopped watching. Sci-fi shows are notoriously clunky in the beginning as they attempt to find their footing. It doesn't help if a show is suffering an identity crisis of major proportions right out of the gate. Further analysis is needed for me personally.

On a completely superficial level the chief security officer is ridiculously pretty.
    I stopped watching DS9 after the pilot. I didn't give the series a chance until years later and it was tough getting through that first season. Some credit Worf's arrival with revitalizing it but I prefer to think it had something to do with Avery Brooks shaving his head and sprouting the goatee

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It was a bit like The Menagerie, an episode that had its own flaws. If the aliens had not revealed themselves at all, and set the Enterprise up with an imaginary captain, everything would have gone as planned. But no. Instead, the aliens unnecessarily came out of their elevator and stun-gunned the captain in plain view of the landing party.

Edit - the aliens could have even lured the captain in with illusions. They never had to reveal themselves at all, not even the fact that Pike was in a cage.

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I stopped watching DS9 after the pilot. I didn't give the series a chance until years later and it was tough getting through that first season. Some credit Worf's arrival with revitalizing it but I prefer to think it had something to do with Avery Brooks shaving his head and sprouting the goatee
    Ah a growing the goatee (beard) reference. Riker would be proud.

I know we don't exactly have a contingent of Farscape fans here (I've met one other fan) but yeah that show became a lot darker second season compared to a campy first season. If I hadn't stuck with it I'd have missed my favorite Science Fiction show! I think any heavy fiction shows where they're creating not just a historical time and place but an entire universe it takes a bit of time to solidify a clear identity. That's on top of the usual problems any show suffers first season.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.

I'm not a big trekkie. Of all the trek shows I probably watched more of voyager than anything else.
    That said, I liked it. It was watchable and while the jokes are stretched out over an hour (or 40 some minutes) the time goes quickly and I never felt like either episode dragged.

Also, I'm hoping Norm McDonald's slime creature is more than just a brief cameo. Everything is better with Norm.

The critic hate is overblown and I'm glad I didn't listen to them.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it