123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Movies No One Wants to See More Than Once

There are some powerful movies out there that are dark or intense enough that maybe a repeated viewing is not worth the emotional duress. (Note, we're not really talk about the movies probably not worth watching even once, like A Serbian Film or something...)

Movies no one wants to see more than once

The Looper list is here in the spoilers, if you don't feel like stepping through their page links.

Out of their list of 17, I've seen 10 of them; 4 of them more than once; and own 8 of them (some of them the ones I haven't seen, I just haven't gotten up my energy to make it through them.)

Any others that might fit on a list like this? Not in the sense of being bad movies, but in the sense of just being too much to endure more than once?

I would propose Lars Von Trier's "Anti-Christ" -- but honestly, most of Von Trier's films would be on this list. (Two of his films are already represented in Looper's list.) "Breaking the Waves" would be another, although I think "Melancholia" was a little more uplifting... as much as world armageddon is uplifting.

"Winter's Bone" and "The Road" also both come to mind.
    "Gone Baby Gone"?
    "Tusk"?
    "The Grey"?
    "Shame" (2011)?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The Road. It told me everything it needed to in one showing. I still want to read the book though as I'm sure it's able to get waaaaay darker.

Edit: Oops! Sorry didn't see the road was on there.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

The Passion of the Christ made me cringe (or whince, as in, it was difficult to watch). But I didn't find it a particularly good movie anyway.
    Grave of the Fireflies was definately a hard pill to swallow. I wouldn't watch it again. But it was also boring so...

I tend to dislike movies who want to be shocking in this way....it's just torture...why would I want to watch it? So it's hard for me to watch one of these movies and say...it was a good movie. I can admire the craftmanship but the "aftertaste" of a movie is what becomes the litmus test to whether I truly valued the viewing experience. And that is what makes me say whether it was good or not.

BrokeBack Mountain...although it could in a sense fit into the category of hard to endure....but which I find a great movie is the only one on that list....that, well I would consider a good movie using my defintion. I did in fact watch it again.

I know it's heralded as one of the best movies, but Shashank Redemption I would put in that category...and it's a good movie. But it leaves me a bit distraught by the end. It's emotionally very draining.
    You are the only possible steward of what your soul deems as right and wrong...so you should always be on your own side before anyone else...alive or dead.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Clockers, a film by Spike Lee and Martin Scorsese.

It's so good it's average.
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Okay got one if you love dogs. A Japanese film based off a true story. Antarctica. Vangelis did the soundtrack. Saddest fucking movie I've ever seen. Disney did a pathetic remake called 8 Below.

To this day if I watched that I'm not ashamed to say I'd cry like a little girl. Huskies dying in horrible ways. And believe it or not it was rated G! G! I would never let a kid watch that. I was fourteen I'm forty five in a few days and I'd never watch it again. I refuse to. The only reason I watched as a teenager was to see if any of the dogs made it. Once I started watching I HAD to know!
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper
    Likes Totenkindly, Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    INFP

Sophie's Choice. Truly one of the most devastating movies ever made. It's one that's hard to even contemplate after viewing.

Remains of the Day is another one. Anthony Hopkins's character is a type of detached evil that isn't apparent at first glance. He's subtly and passively horrible.
    "The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." --J.R.R. Tolkien

Grave of the Fireflies and Mysterious Skin
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    There are some powerful movies out there that are dark or intense enough that maybe a repeated viewing is not worth the emotional duress. (Note, we're not really talk about the movies probably not worth watching even once, like A Serbian Film or something...) Movies no one wants to see more than once The Looper list is here in the spoilers, if you don't feel like stepping through their page links.
    Out of their list of 17, I've seen 10 of them; 4 of them more than once; and own 8 of them (some of them the ones I haven't seen, I just haven't gotten up my energy to make it through them.) Any others that might fit on a list like this? Not in the sense of being bad movies, but in the sense of just being too much to endure more than once? I would propose Lars Von Trier's "Anti-Christ" -- but honestly, most of Von Trier's films would be on this list. (Two of his films are already represented in Looper's list.) "Breaking the Waves" would be another, although I think "Melancholia" was a little more uplifting... as much as world armageddon is uplifting. "Winter's Bone" and "The Road" also both come to mind. "Gone Baby Gone"? "Tusk"? "The Grey"? "Shame" (2011)?
    I have seen 9 and yes watching them once had enough of an emotional toll, I do agree "gone baby gone" "shame" and will add
    Revolutionary road
    garden of the night

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I really like Children of Men but it's a very bleak film that I only watch once in a blue moon. The car scene is particularly jarring; it all happens so fast and because it's one long single take and the camerawork is documentary-like, it's very realistic and a bit unsettling.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll never watch Irreversible again. Deliverance is a film I could watch once every 15 years--and that would be enough for me. But it's a really good movie.
    Likes meowington liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Abcdenfp View Post
    I have seen 9 and yes watching them once had enough of an emotional toll, I do agree "gone baby gone" "shame" and will add
    Revolutionary road
    garden of the night
    Revolutionary Road! How did I forget that?

Yeah, I generally like Mendes' directorial efforts, and MIchael Shannon got an Oscar nomination for that. But I have never been able to summon the strength to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I really like Children of Men but it's a very bleak film that I only watch once in a blue moon. The car scene is particularly jarring; it all happens so fast and because it's one long single take and the camerawork is documentary-like, it's very realistic and a bit unsettling.
    Children of Men crossed my mind, but I found enough in it that was uplifting that I could handle it again. That car scene you mention was jarring and well-done, but yes, very shocking. There's also the jaw-dropping simulated single take (I think simulated, at least to the degree it went) at the end. There was a reason I gave that movie five stars. I'm still not sure what to say about it because it just sucks the air out of your lungs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post