Thread: Bojack Horseman

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Bojack Horseman

I don't see an actual "show" thread (just the character typing threads elsewhere). Which is kinda shocking. If there is one, just merge this.

But Season 4 is starting very soon.

I don't even know if I can handle another season. Emotionally, this show can just be crushing, and Bojack kills everything he touches. How much more can a heart take? Aside of course from it being genre-defying... it's such an emotionally complex show, while still being crazy-funny and just heartbreaking.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Hey thanks for posting! Never heard of it before...seems like a cool show. I'll have to check it out.
    You are the only possible steward of what your soul deems as right and wrong...so you should always be on your own side before anyone else...alive or dead.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by burningranger View Post
    Hey thanks for posting! Never heard of it before...seems like a cool show. I'll have to check it out.
    Give it a few episodes to get rolling.

Aside from the tone (which can be both serious and funny simultaneously), I like how plot events have continuity. For example, there are things that happen in the world of Bojack in the first few episodes that persist in the background / conversation throughout the rest of the series.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Bojack Season 4 is pretty good, though probably not quite as good as earlier seasons. However, it's kind of difficult to tell at times since "negative intensity" which the first three seasons can have in spades is not necessarily equivalent to "good."

Season 4 does have its share of pain (mostly portrayed through the life of Princess Caroline and through flashbacks about Bojack's mom -- Episode 11, Time's Arrow, is particularly good and sheds a lot of light on things), but the season feels a bit more cushioned than prior ones. I felt like the series rolled back to the status quo a bit from the end of Season 3 rather than progressing forward on Bojack's ongoing dissolution, and his through-line is not quite as dark as in the past.

I like Hollyhock. She's obviously got some things in alignment with Bojack, but at the same time she is mostly "normal" rather than bitter and self-destructive in the ways he can be... perhaps Bojack if he had grown up normally versus gone through all the shit he did in childhood.

Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter keep working on their marriage which goes up and down. There's a funny throughline with clowns and woods. The race for CA governor has a lot of laughs involved... as well as the gods of fire and water.

Feel worst for Princess Caroline, but I love her to death. She is such a trooper and just never quits. (Or, as she says, "No matter how far I fall, I always land on my feet.") This isn't the easiest season for her.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I feel obligated to tell people who haven't watched S4 yet that it's a lot easier on the heart than S3. BoJack doesn't hit a new low.

I agree that it isn't as good as other seasons - not as funny, not as deep, not as impactful - but I loved it anyway. Still wise and weirdly full of love.

Also... the "Stupid Piece of Shit" monologues.

Especially this one:

Whoever wrote that episode really knew their way around the inside of a depressed/anxious/self-loathing person's brain. (Been there. Watching it was spookily real.)
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!