User Tag List

MBTI
    XNXP

Default Coen Bros. Films

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Platoon, Wall Street, and JFK are all very good movies. Born on the Fourth of July, Nixon, and The Doors had their moments. Natural Born Killers (especially the director's cut) is a hoot, IMHO.
    I enjoyed all of them. Well, "Born on the Fourth of July" was only marginally noteworthy for me. I don't even remember why.

I saw an ad run a few times for "W" and at first I thought "it looks like another slapstick 'Jim Carrey-like' vehicle " ( except without Jim ) and so I had ruled it out for theater fare.... until I noticed it was an Oliver Stone movie. Hmmm. I had thought his next movie was going to be a documentary about Chavez negotiating with the Columbian rebel kidnappers. I might check "W" out as a freebie in one of those multiple theater hallways.

I had thought that "Burn Before Reading" ads showed like that kind of a "zany" comedy too, but I decided to go anyway, only because it was a Coen Brothers movie; and that proved to be a worthwhile decision. It was nowhere near as good as "The Big Lebowski", but still funny. My friend Geoff and I both like the Coen Brothers flicks and so we often go see them together, although he won't ever join me afterward in seeing free movies. Although we both enjoy so-called "black humor", we still have different tastes. He thinks "Fargo" was way better than "Lebowski", but I don't agree at all. He really liked "Summer of Sam". ( I wonder what this new Spike Lee movie will be like. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I enjoyed all of them. Well, "Born on the Fourth of July" was only marginally noteworthy for me. I don't even remember why.

I saw an ad run a few times for "W" and at first I thought "it looks like another slapstick 'Jim Carrey-like' vehicle " ( except without Jim ) and so I had ruled it out for theater fare.... until I noticed it was an Oliver Stone movie. Hmmm. I had thought his next movie was going to be a documentary about Chavez negotiating with the Columbian rebel kidnappers. I might check "W" out as a freebie in one of those multiple theater hallways.

I had thought that "Burn Before Reading" ads showed like that kind of a "zany" comedy too, but I decided to go anyway, only because it was a Coen Brothers movie; and that proved to be a worthwhile decision. It was nowhere near as good as "The Big Lebowski", but still funny. My friend Geoff and I both like the Coen Brothers flicks and so we often go see them together, although he won't ever join me afterward in seeing free movies. Although we both enjoy so-called "black humor", we still have different tastes. He thinks "Fargo" was way better than "Lebowski", but I don't agree at all. He really liked "Summer of Sam". ( I wonder what this new Spike Lee movie will be like. )
    The Big Lebowski is really funny, but a little long and incoherent. It's like 7th on my list of best Coen Bros. films.

Fargo
    No Country for Old Men
    Miller's Crossing
    Barton Fink
    O Brother Where Art Thou?
    Blood Simple

And then Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNXP

The Big Lebowski is really funny, but a little long and incoherent. .
    What you call the "incoherence" may be what I like about it, which I see as being different than the slapstick shrill zaniness of a typical Jim Carrey movie. They probably debated on whether to cut the scene where he fantasizes he's in a Busby Berkeley number while "What Condition My Condition Was In" plays. I'm glad they kept it. Other strangeness may require more knowledge of film noir conventions, which they were satirizing in TBL, although "The Man Who Wasn't There" was structured around the same idea, and I didn't like it very much.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

I just know this is going to get the thread split, but pure_mercury's stab at ranking the Coen brothers' films is irresistable. Mine:

Raising Arizona
    Fargo
    Miller's Crossing
    No Country For Old Men
    ------------------------------------ The split between "Exceptional" and "Quite Enjoyed"
    Blood Simple
    The Ladykillers
    Burn After Reading
    Intolerable Cruelty
    ------------------------------------ The split between "Quite Enjoyed" and "Meh"
    The Hudsucker Proxy
    The Big Lebowski
    Barton Fink

I can't rank The Man Who Wasn't There because I haven't seen it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I just know this is going to get the thread split
    Excellent idea!

Miller's Crossing is my fave.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Coen Bros are hit and miss, both with suspense and comedy. Their best?

1. Fargo
    2. Blood Simple
    3. No Country For Old Men

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I just know this is going to get the thread split, but pure_mercury's stab at ranking the Coen brothers' films is irresistable. Mine:

Raising Arizona
    Fargo
    Miller's Crossing
    No Country For Old Men
    ------------------------------------ The split between "Exceptional" and "Quite Enjoyed"
    Blood Simple
    The Ladykillers
    Burn After Reading
    Intolerable Cruelty
    ------------------------------------ The split between "Quite Enjoyed" and "Meh"
    The Hudsucker Proxy
    The Big Lebowski
    Barton Fink

I can't rank The Man Who Wasn't There because I haven't seen it.
    Intolerable Cruelty was quite good (Billy Bob Thornton is a treasure). They really marketed that movie the wrong way, though; they made it seem like it was a Clooney/Zeta-Jones romcom, when it was actually the Coen Bros.' updated take on the 1930s screwball comedy. So, the wackiness seemed to turn off mainstream viewers, and they didn't even MENTION that it was the new Coen Bros. film in the commercials. Big mistake. Personally, one of my favorite things about the Coens is that they basically do crazy, twisted genre films.

The Hudsucker Proxy wasn't very good, and I didn't care for the little of The Ladykillers I've seen. Haven't seen Burn After Reading yet.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNXP

they didn't even MENTION that it was the new Coen Bros. film in the commercials. Big mistake.
    I didn't even know until reading this that it was a Coen Brothers film. You're right. That would have made the difference, just as I was saying earlier about "Burn Before Reading". They definitely are a "brand". Until they burn me a few times in a row I will continue going to see their films on the reputation alone, unless some friend whose opinion I respect really makes a big deal of warning me away from one.

I hadn't known of "Lady Killers" either. Hmmm.

The Rolling Stones were a brand once. I would buy their albums regardless of publicity etc. Then they burned me a few times in the later 80's ( albums that were between 80 % and 100 % shit ) and so I mostly stayed away from them until taking a peek again fairly recently.