User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Thread: Chicago Cubs

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    My point is lineups in the NL are consistently worse than comparable AL teams. Manny's impact on the dodgers lineup is massive. Last time I checked before he was traded to the dodgers their leading hr hitter had like 13 homeruns. Ohh and I did watch moyer for a decent part of his career in the AL, where he was decidedly below average against decent offenses...like I don't know the redsox WITH Manny. 3.71 in the NL is most definitely not gaudy by the way. without looking at the stats the top 20 pitchers in the AL i'm sure bested that mark in a much tougher league and division(hallady, lester, matsuzaka, kazmir, garza, etc...)
    3.71 in any professional league in 2008 is pretty damn good. Also, the Phillies would have arguably the best hitting lineup in the AL, so having mediocre guys at the bottom of the rotation is not as big a deal.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think you get the fact that I really have nothing against the Phillies(probably one of my favorite NL teams). I was merely trying to state my case about Moyer. Pitching this year was actually much better across both leagues so you can add basically .5 to whatever a pitchers era is(in regards to what a good era is normally thought to be).

That number is actually the qualifier for the top 15(roughly) in each league, which is good but not especially noteworthy. Theres a big caveat with his numbers because he doesn't strike out to many and doesn't keep guys off base either which is actually one of the biggest success factors for playoff pitchers, doesn't even get too many groundballs.

Regardless all of this is getting a little too tangential and off my main point. I think I provided ample reasoning, was astoundingly accurate, and proved my point better than others.

Moving on..... what do you think the Phillies offseason plans are going to be?

Most likely wont resign burrell, Howard and Hamels I think are gonna get paid.

Dodgers and Manny?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't think you get the fact that I really have nothing against the Phillies(probably one of my favorite NL teams). I was merely trying to state my case about Moyer. Pitching this year was actually much better across both leagues so you can add basically .5 to whatever a pitchers era is(in regards to what a good era is normally thought to be).

That number is actually the qualifier for the top 15(roughly) in each league, which is good but not especially noteworthy. Theres a big caveat with his numbers because he doesn't strike out to many and doesn't keep guys off base either which is actually one of the biggest success factors for playoff pitchers, doesn't even get too many groundballs.

Regardless all of this is getting a little too tangential and off my main point. I think I provided ample reasoning, was astoundingly accurate, and proved my point better than others.

Dodgers and Manny?

Burrell should really go to the American League. The guy has DH written all over him. He will get paid. Howard and Hamels better stay, no matter the cost. Blanton goes to arbitration, I think. He may re-up.

MBTI
    enfp

Dodgers and Manny?
    We need to get rid of Kent, Penny, Jones, Schmidt, first.

Manny should definitely be a resign though. But given that the dodger's owner mccourt is from boston, who knows where his loyalty lies.

Before the Dodger's got manny, there were lifelong dodger fans that were getting pretty sick of the mccourt and colletti duo.

chase utley and victorino should definitely be on the dodgers though. chase grew up in LA, and victorino was a dodger draft pick. how we let them get away... who knows.

Dodgers and Manny?
    I actually give them a slim chance to re-sign Burrell because he's expressed a desire to stay and his agent is not named Boras. If he's willing to give the hometown discount they may bite...not sure they have anyone ready to replace him.

Howard will definitely get paid, although it may be contentious...the Phils will surely point to his strikeout total in an effort to paint him as not worth the salary of an A-Rod or a Pujols. I've always had a bad feeling that the Phils will trade him before giving him the monster contract that is obviously coming his way.

Hamels will be arbitration eligible for the first time, so he'll probably deal with what Howard dealt with this year - a one year tender for under market value. Hamels isn't eligible for free agency until 2012, but unless they want to destroy their relationship, the team should step up before that.

I would LOVE to see them re-sign Blanton. Everyone always cries for a top of the rotation starter, but you win championships with pitching depth. Blanton is one of those #3 guys that wind up being very valuable, and he will probably be affordable.

As for Manny, I can't see how the Dodgers can get away with not re-signing him at this point. It would be a PR disaster. That said, I think if anyone gives Manny big money for more than two years, they're going to wind up with an albatross around their neck. It's a big lovefest in LA right now, but if they think he won't do to them what he did to Boston, they're dreaming.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    As for Manny, I can't see how the Dodgers can get away with not re-signing him at this point. It would be a PR disaster. That said, I think if anyone gives Manny big money for more than two years, they're going to wind up with an albatross around their neck. It's a big lovefest in LA right now, but if they think he won't do to them what he did to Boston, they're dreaming.
    Boston had a pretty shady history of dealing with players, even Garciaparra backed Manny on that one.

But yeah, the Dodger's management doesn't have a great history either of dealing with players. But no one in LA is gonna hate Manny cus the Dodger's management told them so. You can bet on that. If they get sick of him, it will be bc of his performance. Boston took Garnett from us, so we took Manny. Its even steven now.

Manny is 7 for 8 with runners in scoring position this postseason. I can't emphasize how INSANE those numbers are!

He is the best hitter in baseball. Period. And he is much more of a fun and clutch guy than ARod. Dodger fans will be pretty furious if Manny is not resigned. And Manny needs to understand how happy he really wants to be.

MBTI
    INTP

Haha. Now the

Manny love comes out?

I agree though, wait till you watch that guy for a whole season. Hes the only hitter I see that consistently hits nasty pitches and drives them. Too many times I've seen him just obliterate curves, sliders, changeups behind in the count ahead, being pitched around or pitched too. Makes it look like wiffle ball. You're not gonna get that effort though consistently at all. He only steps it up when he feels like it.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ESFJ

We goin' to 'the ship! We goin' to the 'ship!

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Amazing comeback last night. I am kinda glad to see that series go back to Tampa. More travel, more starting pitchers used.