User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Chicago Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And I predicted a Dodgers victory yesterday.
    As did I.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Kuroda seems to have the Phils' number, so my guess is that the Dodgers will win Game 3, the Phils and Blanton take Game 4 with Lowe on short rest, and then Hamels finishes them off in Game 5 against a shellshocked Billingsley.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I wasn't arguing necessarily whether or not they would win or lose, more that Moyer was overrated and more a product of the Nl and would get beat decidedly. Also that it would essentially come down to how the rest of the dodgers hit(I postulated that they would), because knowing Manny's #'s he wouldn't get pitched to.

^That was the crux of my argument, which apparently didn't have a leg of logic to stand on. I just find it odd that the wild hunch or provocative statements proved to be eerily accurate.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I wasn't arguing necessarily whether or not they would win or lose, more that Moyer was overrated and more a product of the Nl and would get beat decidedly. Also that it would essentially come down to how the rest of the dodgers hit(I postulated that they would), because knowing Manny's #'s he wouldn't get pitched to.
    I still don't know why Manny has gotten so many pitches in this series. That is somewhat insane. Still, I don't think Moyer is "overrated," so much as "old and vulnerable to patient hitters."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    enfp

man... i wish the la fan's didn't yell "phillie's suck" in the 6th inning...

philly doesn't seem like a typical nyc/boston type of city...

anyways... i think there's a pretty good chance billingsley will CHOKE big time on wed.

I just hope torre pulls him out in time.

the fatal mistake torre had in game 3 was in pulling hong chi kuo when he was pretty hot.

if we pull billingsley in time on wed, then we got a chance... im not worried about kuroda in philly...

then lowe might be able to take a game 7 into the 4th inning... and then... who knows what will happen...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    man... i wish the la fan's didn't yell "phillie's suck" in the 6th inning...

philly doesn't seem like a typical nyc/boston type of city...
    Don't feel too bad. We yell WAY worse things in Philadelphia. We genuinely dislike the other team, always. L.A. is actually very low on the totem pole of places we hate, since it's so far away and it doesn't have an NFL team currently.

BTW, what is a typical "nyc/boston type of city?"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

So you're another one of those AL superiority complex people. Got it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Don't feel too bad. We yell WAY worse things in Philadelphia. We genuinely dislike the other team, always. L.A. is actually very low on the totem pole of places we hate, since it's so far away and it doesn't have an NFL team currently.

BTW, what is a typical "nyc/boston type of city?"
    LOL its just that philly seems one of those teams that love the "comeback", and they thrive off the trashtalking...

u should see how the LA fans would have reacted to the red sox... LOL

something about philly seems different. at least the crowd... maybe its cus of that movie "Rocky" hehe

I wasn't arguing necessarily whether or not they would win or lose, more that Moyer was overrated and more a product of the Nl and would get beat decidedly.
    I guess what I found confusing about your prediction is that he was pitching against an NL team

If this were a World Series game and Moyer were facing an AL team, this would be an astute observation...but the Dodgers are in the NL. So being "a product of the NL" is moot. It's not like he racked up his wins in triple A and he's now pitching against better competition...he's still facing the same level of competition he accumulated those gaudy stats against.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

My point is lineups in the NL are consistently worse than comparable AL teams. Manny's impact on the dodgers lineup is massive. Last time I checked before he was traded to the dodgers their leading hr hitter had like 13 homeruns. Ohh and I did watch moyer for a decent part of his career in the AL, where he was decidedly below average against decent offenses...like I don't know the redsox WITH Manny. 3.71 in the NL is most definitely not gaudy by the way. without looking at the stats the top 20 pitchers in the AL i'm sure bested that mark in a much tougher league and division(hallady, lester, matsuzaka, kazmir, garza, etc...)
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you're another one of those AL superiority complex people. Got it.
    I watched moyer pitch in the AL and would salivate every time the redsox got to face him. Allthough I do infact hold that title I don't think it applies in this case.

Anyways seriously I was on point with EVERYTHING I said even had the runs down, and my arguments played out in the game. I really wasn't flaming. I just find it funny when people blindly follow stats and don't really pay attention to how they are compiled.