• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chicago Cubs

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
My point is lineups in the NL are consistently worse than comparable AL teams. Manny's impact on the dodgers lineup is massive. Last time I checked before he was traded to the dodgers their leading hr hitter had like 13 homeruns. Ohh and I did watch moyer for a decent part of his career in the AL, where he was decidedly below average against decent offenses...like I don't know the redsox WITH Manny. 3.71 in the NL is most definitely not gaudy by the way. without looking at the stats the top 20 pitchers in the AL i'm sure bested that mark in a much tougher league and division(hallady, lester, matsuzaka, kazmir, garza, etc...)

3.71 in any professional league in 2008 is pretty damn good. Also, the Phillies would have arguably the best hitting lineup in the AL, so having mediocre guys at the bottom of the rotation is not as big a deal.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think you get the fact that I really have nothing against the Phillies(probably one of my favorite NL teams). I was merely trying to state my case about Moyer. Pitching this year was actually much better across both leagues so you can add basically .5 to whatever a pitchers era is(in regards to what a good era is normally thought to be).

That number is actually the qualifier for the top 15(roughly) in each league, which is good but not especially noteworthy. Theres a big caveat with his numbers because he doesn't strike out to many and doesn't keep guys off base either which is actually one of the biggest success factors for playoff pitchers, doesn't even get too many groundballs.

Regardless all of this is getting a little too tangential and off my main point. I think I provided ample reasoning, was astoundingly accurate, and proved my point better than others.

Moving on..... what do you think the Phillies offseason plans are going to be?

Most likely wont resign burrell, Howard and Hamels I think are gonna get paid.

Dodgers and Manny?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't think you get the fact that I really have nothing against the Phillies(probably one of my favorite NL teams). I was merely trying to state my case about Moyer. Pitching this year was actually much better across both leagues so you can add basically .5 to whatever a pitchers era is(in regards to what a good era is normally thought to be).

That number is actually the qualifier for the top 15(roughly) in each league, which is good but not especially noteworthy. Theres a big caveat with his numbers because he doesn't strike out to many and doesn't keep guys off base either which is actually one of the biggest success factors for playoff pitchers, doesn't even get too many groundballs.

Regardless all of this is getting a little too tangential and off my main point. I think I provided ample reasoning, was astoundingly accurate, and proved my point better than others.

Dodgers and Manny?

Burrell should really go to the American League. The guy has DH written all over him. He will get paid. Howard and Hamels better stay, no matter the cost. Blanton goes to arbitration, I think. He may re-up.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Dodgers and Manny?

We need to get rid of Kent, Penny, Jones, Schmidt, first.

Manny should definitely be a resign though. But given that the dodger's owner mccourt is from boston, who knows where his loyalty lies.

Before the Dodger's got manny, there were lifelong dodger fans that were getting pretty sick of the mccourt and colletti duo.

chase utley and victorino should definitely be on the dodgers though. chase grew up in LA, and victorino was a dodger draft pick. how we let them get away... who knows.

MBTI Type
INTJ

Dodgers and Manny?

I actually give them a slim chance to re-sign Burrell because he's expressed a desire to stay and his agent is not named Boras. If he's willing to give the hometown discount they may bite...not sure they have anyone ready to replace him.

Howard will definitely get paid, although it may be contentious...the Phils will surely point to his strikeout total in an effort to paint him as not worth the salary of an A-Rod or a Pujols. I've always had a bad feeling that the Phils will trade him before giving him the monster contract that is obviously coming his way.

Hamels will be arbitration eligible for the first time, so he'll probably deal with what Howard dealt with this year - a one year tender for under market value. Hamels isn't eligible for free agency until 2012, but unless they want to destroy their relationship, the team should step up before that.

I would LOVE to see them re-sign Blanton. Everyone always cries for a top of the rotation starter, but you win championships with pitching depth. Blanton is one of those #3 guys that wind up being very valuable, and he will probably be affordable.

As for Manny, I can't see how the Dodgers can get away with not re-signing him at this point. It would be a PR disaster. That said, I think if anyone gives Manny big money for more than two years, they're going to wind up with an albatross around their neck. It's a big lovefest in LA right now, but if they think he won't do to them what he did to Boston, they're dreaming.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
As for Manny, I can't see how the Dodgers can get away with not re-signing him at this point. It would be a PR disaster. That said, I think if anyone gives Manny big money for more than two years, they're going to wind up with an albatross around their neck. It's a big lovefest in LA right now, but if they think he won't do to them what he did to Boston, they're dreaming.

Boston had a pretty shady history of dealing with players, even Garciaparra backed Manny on that one.

But yeah, the Dodger's management doesn't have a great history either of dealing with players. But no one in LA is gonna hate Manny cus the Dodger's management told them so. You can bet on that. If they get sick of him, it will be bc of his performance. Boston took Garnett from us, so we took Manny. Its even steven now.

Manny is 7 for 8 with runners in scoring position this postseason. I can't emphasize how INSANE those numbers are!

He is the best hitter in baseball. Period. And he is much more of a fun and clutch guy than ARod. Dodger fans will be pretty furious if Manny is not resigned. And Manny needs to understand how happy he really wants to be.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Haha. Now the

Manny love comes out?

I agree though, wait till you watch that guy for a whole season. Hes the only hitter I see that consistently hits nasty pitches and drives them. Too many times I've seen him just obliterate curves, sliders, changeups behind in the count ahead, being pitched around or pitched too. Makes it look like wiffle ball. You're not gonna get that effort though consistently at all. He only steps it up when he feels like it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
mephillies1smallvg0.jpg

mephillies3smallsz3.jpg

rollinstrophysmallcl0.jpg

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Amazing comeback last night. I am kinda glad to see that series go back to Tampa. More travel, more starting pitchers used.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
a lot of dodger fans would rather see the giants win over the red sox

congrats philly fans.

if u guys play the red sox in the world series, will be rooting for u guys. FCK BOSTON!

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
What the fuck!!

Dude I was so pissed. I was sitting at my friends(yankee fan) house and we were chilling drinking and watching the game, after like 3 innings when it was like 5-0 I was like fuck this , proceeded to kill some shots and smoke a cig. I eventually ended up hanging out with a couple of old friends and killed another blunt, so I was pretty out of it but my friend still kept needling me putting the game on the radio( Jon miller and Morgan didn't give the score for like 5 min) so I'm sitting there like fuck this they lost give it up.

Right as we were all about to go home at like 1 o clock my friends like so the Redsox get eliminated yet?

"the Rays...Man their like one of those destined teams, you see the way their hitting, no one could beat them this year...." and I'm just like we'll see... the phillies are a tough team, you never know they can hit too, myers and hamels have to step up though, and they better not fucking pitch moyer(yes I got my shot in)

So I get home like "fuck do I wanna look at the score before I go to bed and be pissed or just wait till tommorow and hear it all day" log on to mlb.com see the headline came back from 7 runs I was like WTF. I just texted him like "FUCK ME!!". I'm almost pissed that I missed that game but theres no way I could stayed with it, I definitely don't have the intestinal fortitude.

Shit. Drew again, damn whats all this shit that dodgers and phillies fans would say about him not having heart. Three times hes had key homeruns in the post season. Christ, its funny how almost no redsox fan is mentioning his contract anymore. It's a testament to how hes seemed to really go beserk right when it was most needed( Carmona in game 6, Ortiz out in June, K-rod in the 9th, Yesterday from the 7th on) dude knows how to get PAID.

Enough of that little rant though.

Did you all hear Mannys gem of a quote "I'm gonna go home and wait for the highest bidder, gas is up so is Manny"

Hahah there is Manny being Manny dodgers fan. Hope you enjoyed the 400 ba and 17 hr he hit. Lol have fun with that personality.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
No ever said that J.D. Drew didn't have heart. He is just an asshole for what he did to the Phillies after he was drafted. That Red Sox team doesn't die; you have to kill them, and the Rays didn't kill them last night.

As for Moyer, I am pretty certain he will be the #4 starter for the Series, so he will only have to pitch once.

Hamels
Myers
Blanton
Moyer

And then a reassessment, depending upon where we're at then. Hopefully, it will be Phils up 3-1, as I will have tickets for Game 5, and I'd love to see Hamels close out the Series.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'll say it right here...JD Drew has no heart. The guy takes himself out of the lineup over a hangnail.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
^ I just think he has a legitimately fragile body. You can only get pissed off to a certain extent, but really what is there for you to do when your body is liable to creek and sputter in little or long(months) intervals. I think its a shame because when he's healthy and in the zone he really is a pretty special player, granted one that can't be relied on to be a focal point because hes injured so frequently.

I think Boston was a good fit for him, LA was a decent fit as well(he was under appreciated there), He really is ridiculously laid back and calm though. Did you see the post game...fuck I was 10x more pumped and less composed, you'd think he only just drew an important walk in a little league game or something.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
No ever said that J.D. Drew didn't have heart. He is just an asshole for what he did to the Phillies after he was drafted.

Correction. Scott Boras is an extreme douche. I actually was just talking to my friend about how difficult and ridiculous it is to deal with him(Yankee fan, Texiera, thinks they can get everyone) and I was saying that you have to be willing to invest an absurd amount of time with each and everyone of his clients and it's extremely draining and affects everything you plan to do with your team.

We'll definitely see the effect with Manny, Texeira, CC(I think Boras might have him), and who ever else is lucky/unfortunate to have him represent them. Not to mention all the draft picks he fucks with, and all the legal loopholes he gets through(arbitration), think of Utley, Victorino, Howard, Hamels and how much more difficult it woulda been to deal with them had they got a guaranteed big league contract like Drew and other big league players he represented.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I take it you haven't spoken to many Cardinals or Braves fans about him.

I think the cardinals got the brunt of it. The braves should be kissing his ass, he absolutely was integral to them that season, they would have a much different stance on him if he resigned with them. He got his season cut short in his first year with the dodgers because a pitcher hit him in the wrist and shattered it( I think I later heard it was on purpose), but thats the type of thing that you can't really blame him to much on. With the cards though it really was another story. I can totally understand their anger and hate with him, because he really can be a captivating player to watch when he's on. Its just hes injured or nicked here and there ALL the fucking time.