MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Movie Review: So much for “The Dark Tower” “franchise” | Movie Nation

So much for the Dark Tower franchise?

Since when was there supposed to be a franchise opportunity? Did anybody important actually say it was?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP

Well if you're trying to troll me into seeing the movie after all, it's working.

However as an aggregate site RT has mostly been spot on in my experience.
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    Well if you're trying to troll me into seeing the movie after all, it's working.

I don't have the time to check every movie. But in cases like this, you have 7 out of 10 stars in one aggregate, 68% favorable audience reviews in another, and than a measly 18% from the RT professional critics. Which of the three do you think is the most accurate?

Also, try comparing 18% to other movies that got a similar rating. For example, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, widely regarded as the worst movie ever made, got 27% at RT.

Sharknado: The 4th Awakens got 17%.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I don't have the time to check every movie. But in cases like this, you have 7 out of 10 stars in one aggregate, 68% favorable audience reviews in another, and than a measly 18% from the RT professional critics. Which of the three do you think is the most accurate? Also, try comparing 18% to other movies that got a similar rating. For example, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, widely regarded as the worst movie ever made, got 27% at RT. Sharknado: The 4th Awakens got 17%.
    I usually use the professional critic aggregate, but I tend to appreciate the same things in movies that critics do- so it works for me. I don't reallly use it to measure how much I'm going to like a movie, but rather how high of a quality it is semi-objectively. There's a lot of bad movies that I love, and a lot of good movies I don't like.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I usually use the professional critic aggregate, but I tend to appreciate the same things in movies that critics do- so it works for me. I don't reallly use it to measure how much I'm going to like a movie, but rather how high of a quality it is semi-objectively. There's a lot of bad movies that I love, and a lot of good movies I don't like.
    Critics don't know shit for the most part. I read one back in the day where the critic thought that the Matrix hovercraft were floating underwater.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Some reviewers are actually stupid enough to say things like, "If you are a Stephen King fan then you will be disappointed." If you are a Stephen King fan and believe 8 or 9 books can be crammed into a 95 minute movie in such a way that you won't be disappointed, then you may as well keep your head crammed up your ass because there's no hope for you anyway.

If someone in Hollywood wants to take a crack at making an individual movie for each book, then go right ahead. I'm looking forward to reading all the rave reviews.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People reviewing aggregates should use multiple aggregate sites since they measure different things.

I usually look at the Metacritic reviews now as well because they actually rate the movie versus just compiling the percentage of reviewers who gave a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down. I also like to read the actual reviews, so I can grasp what is being said.

Still, RT lists all the reviews of the critics and their scores as well. It can be telling, if you read the reviews of people who like a movie that is mostly ranked awful, and see that it's just a marginal Thumbs Up or reviews that are the equivalent of "Yeah, it really sucks in a lot of ways, but here's how I approached it and could enjoy it, or here's the small thing that pushed it into positive territory for me." Or vice versa. If the most positive scores on a movie are only a 3/5, that's not great even with Thumbs Up; or movies ranked at 2.5 or 3 out of 5 for a "bad" movie. You can get a pretty fast sense if you read some representative reviews of whether reviewers are being fair or just jumping on a bandwagon.

So... read read read, just don't look at scores.

Also, I would advise that viewers (for a better rule of thumb) get a sense of a few reviewers who they usually agree with, and then if they want to see if a movie is worth spending ticket money on, read those reviewers first regardless. That's what all this is about anyway... people want to determine whether they should take two hours and $10 to go see a movie, if there's the possibility they might hate it. (Or $50 for a family of five. Plus food and drink. People can't afford to just drop a ton of money on a bad movie investment with costs as they are.)

No, it's not foolproof, but when you read about the reasons a movie might be appreciated or hated by other people who have watched a ton of movies, then they can help you decide how to allocate your time and money.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post

So... read read read, just don't look at scores.
    As you can see, I did read read read. I found that most critics don't know what they're talking about because they get the movie wrong. E.g., the critic who thought the Matrix hovercraft are submarines.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

From two of The Matrix Reloaded reviews -

"They don't come up with anything new, but it's bigger, louder, and mighty impressive, even if the dialogue sounds more and more like a preprogrammed video game." - Sean Axmaker, Seanax.com

"Though introducing some new ideas and characters, Matrix Reloaded is not as exciting as the 1999 original, suffering from problems that often inflict middle chapters of trilogies." - Emanuel Levi, EmanuelLevy.com

Fuck off with your critics.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I really can't "troll" anybody into anything. In fact, I have never heard of trolling being a positive experience, which in this case it is assuming you go see The Dark Tower (and assuming I am, er, trolling.)