• Yup

11 39.29%
  • Nope

14 50.00%
  • I too have a monkey brain.

3 10.71%
First 1234 Last

Thread: W

I'm wondering how many people will judge the quality of the movie on the political stance it takes. I'd love to know how often that happens. That probably deserves a thread of its own, except that people would likely be unaware of or reluctant to admit that they do this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm wondering how many people will judge the quality of the movie on the political stance it takes. I'd love to know how often that happens. That probably deserves a thread of its own, except that people would likely be unaware of or reluctant to admit that they do this.
    That only happens with republicans. You know...all those republican movies like, uh that one..
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP

I'll go with one requirement - that the protagonist finaly admits his error and commits suicide. : p
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd go and see it if they'd put Beavis and Butthead in it... until they do that, no way.
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    That only happens with republicans. You know...all those republican movies like, uh that one..
    It doesn't only happen with Republicans. I don't think it's Republicans that make Holocaust movies and antiwar movies prima facie Oscar contenders.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

booya is pretty sarky.

Posts about "chick flicks" and the disownment of femininity moved here.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Only if it delivers the virtual equivalent of a cathartic public ass-whooping.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Platoon, Wall Street, and JFK are all very good movies. Born on the Fourth of July, Nixon, and The Doors had their moments. Natural Born Killers (especially the director's cut) is a hoot, IMHO.
    I enjoyed all of them. Well, "Born on the Fourth of July" was only marginally noteworthy for me. I don't even remember why.

I saw an ad run a few times for "W" and at first I thought "it looks like another slapstick 'Jim Carrey-like' vehicle " ( except without Jim ) and so I had ruled it out for theater fare.... until I noticed it was an Oliver Stone movie. Hmmm. I had thought his next movie was going to be a documentary about Chavez negotiating with the Columbian rebel kidnappers. I might check "W" out as a freebie in one of those multiple theater hallways.

I had thought that "Burn Before Reading" ads showed like that kind of a "zany" comedy too, but I decided to go anyway, only because it was a Coen Brothers movie; and that proved to be a worthwhile decision. It was nowhere near as good as "The Big Lebowski", but still funny. My friend Geoff and I both like the Coen Brothers flicks and so we often go see them together, although he won't ever join me afterward in seeing free movies. Although we both enjoy so-called "black humor", we still have different tastes. He thinks "Fargo" was way better than "Lebowski", but I don't agree at all. He really liked "Summer of Sam". ( I wonder what this new Spike Lee movie will be like. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Coen Brothers discussion split to here.