• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

W

Will you go see W?

• Yup

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I too have a monkey brain.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm wondering how many people will judge the quality of the movie on the political stance it takes. I'd love to know how often that happens. That probably deserves a thread of its own, except that people would likely be unaware of or reluctant to admit that they do this.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm wondering how many people will judge the quality of the movie on the political stance it takes. I'd love to know how often that happens. That probably deserves a thread of its own, except that people would likely be unaware of or reluctant to admit that they do this.

That only happens with republicans. You know...all those republican movies like, uh that one..

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll go with one requirement - that the protagonist finaly admits his error and commits suicide. : p

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd go and see it if they'd put Beavis and Butthead in it... until they do that, no way.

MBTI Type
INTJ
That only happens with republicans. You know...all those republican movies like, uh that one..

It doesn't only happen with Republicans. I don't think it's Republicans that make Holocaust movies and antiwar movies prima facie Oscar contenders.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Only if it delivers the virtual equivalent of a cathartic public ass-whooping.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Platoon, Wall Street, and JFK are all very good movies. Born on the Fourth of July, Nixon, and The Doors had their moments. Natural Born Killers (especially the director's cut) is a hoot, IMHO.
I enjoyed all of them. Well, "Born on the Fourth of July" was only marginally noteworthy for me. I don't even remember why.

I saw an ad run a few times for "W" and at first I thought "it looks like another slapstick 'Jim Carrey-like' vehicle " ( except without Jim ) and so I had ruled it out for theater fare.... until I noticed it was an Oliver Stone movie. Hmmm. I had thought his next movie was going to be a documentary about Chavez negotiating with the Columbian rebel kidnappers. I might check "W" out as a freebie in one of those multiple theater hallways.

I had thought that "Burn Before Reading" ads showed like that kind of a "zany" comedy too, but I decided to go anyway, only because it was a Coen Brothers movie; and that proved to be a worthwhile decision. It was nowhere near as good as "The Big Lebowski", but still funny. My friend Geoff and I both like the Coen Brothers flicks and so we often go see them together, although he won't ever join me afterward in seeing free movies. Although we both enjoy so-called "black humor", we still have different tastes. He thinks "Fargo" was way better than "Lebowski", but I don't agree at all. He really liked "Summer of Sam". ( I wonder what this new Spike Lee movie will be like. )

MBTI Type
ENTP
I already knew I wasn't going to see W, but there's a line from a local review of the film that distinguishes it as the most worthless movie review ever.
"If it [the film] feels empty, that's because it's supposed to reflect the man's soul."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
booya is pretty sarky.

God, that's so... 2006.

I only saw the movie because a friend wanted to and I wanted to spend time with her.
Otherwise, it was pretty much a barely average movie released at the wrong time.

Pretty much did not say anything we didn't already know.
No big surprises.
Not enough digging into Bush's faith compared to his addiction issues and what aspects of his personality might have lead him in both areas.

Broslin channeled Bush very well. But not much insight into the person.
A few of the actors channeled their targets well too (Cheney, for example, was a good depiction).
Whoever played Rice belonged on "MAD TV" with her sniveling snarky deliveries, it ruined the tone of the movie.

Most haunting scene (well, besides Bush's interactions with his dad, I felt a bit bad for him): The last one, where he goes back to the catch the ball... and realizes he's standing in an empty field. No one is paying attention anymore. No one cares. He's obsolete.

Which, actually, is the sad reality now.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So...what kind of story does it tell? Pretty much a historical narrative? Because I love those.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Don't forget all the movies Ronald Reagan and Arnold were in.

Anywho. The movie was worthwhile in that I no longer feel animosity towards George, but feel rather sorry for the poor guy. This is assuming everything in the movie is accurate, which I'm sure it's not.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd say his directing is underrated, if anything. His filmmaking skills are undermined by his cavalier attitude toward authenticity. But his raw filmmaking skills are astounding.