• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ST:Discovery - What do you think of the new Klingons?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Aliens films invented weaponizing a species? A more modern advent then I previously thought.

I don't think it started with Alien, I'm just saying that Trek is ripping off the Alien franchise's idea of weaponizing a beast that is very difficult to stop. There are too many similarities. But if there were previous weaponized creatures I'd love to know about them.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it started with Alien, I'm just saying that Trek is ripping off the Alien franchise's idea of weaponizing a beast that is very difficult to stop. There are too many similarities. But if there were previous weaponized creatures I'd love to know about them.

Such as using Tribbles against the Klingons.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got bored with the slow clunky Klingon manner of speech and stopped watching episode 4.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^

I am also getting increasingly bored with Klingon honour-macho talk. To make things worse they have slowed it down. It's torture.

They used it in three fucking series (TOS, DS9 and a bit in RNG) Seen it too many times. We need something different. That's why we watch ST - for the difference it gives. But arghhhhhh this keep giving us the same shit.

It seems that this whole season will revolve around a core arc of dealing with the Klingons. Arghhhhhh. Give us something new.. and stop with this series long story arcs. Didn't they learn anything from the Enterprise.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the next series - if this series doesn't manage to destroy the franchise - they would probably bring the series closer to the moon landing.

And what's up with the shit music?

Atomic Fiend

Yeah the episode was weaker then the previous three which were establishing episodes. This episode had moments, however none of them were the Klingon parts. It's building a foundation. I do have an issue with the idea that this is a prequal to the original series and they've already found a more efficient means to travel then warp drive. This kind of breaks things it forms like this really strange plot hole throughout the entire series. So there was a way to instantanously traverse the stars even before Kirks Enterprise? Why has no one ever mentioned it, alluded to it, even when this is probably the most useful thing ever to be created in Trek. Why did the entirity of Voyager have to happen if they could just BAM teleport anywhere? What reason can be presented for such a glaring omission in all of the following entires of the franchise? I wanna to see how this is covered in the series proper.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah the episode was weaker then the previous three which were establishing episodes. This episode had moments, however none of them were the Klingon parts. It's building a foundation. I do have an issue with the idea that this is a prequal to the original series and they've already found a more efficient means to travel then warp drive. This kind of breaks things it forms like this really strange plot hole throughout the entire series. So there was a way to instantanously traverse the stars even before Kirks Enterprise? Why has no one ever mentioned it, alluded to it, even when this is probably the most useful thing ever to be created in Trek. Why did the entirity of Voyager have to happen if they could just BAM teleport anywhere? What reason can be presented for such a glaring omission in all of the following entires of the franchise? I wanna to see how this is covered in the series proper.

Because it's a reboot even if they're refusing to say it is a reboot. Enterprise was essentially a soft reboot if you consider all of the retconning. I mean, technically even TNG rebooted a lot of elements. :shrug:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, this episode brought me from being on the the fence about Captain Lorca to actively disliking him.

Hey Lorca isn't that bad.

Mediocre episode. Wouldn't have enjoyed it a bit if it didn't have a ST name to it.

Learn from Voyager stupid writers. We don't need a space soap opera. Enterprise tried it and it sucked. Ds9 did it and it was good but it was not entirely a soap opera. They had episodic adventures while the dominion thing was going on. Also the space station setting helped the long story arcs.

I hate to say this - DS9 was a rip off from Babylon 5. The writer of the series has approached ST. They have refused the idea but used it anyway.

Bring us TNG, TOS vibes like Voyager please.

Atomic Fiend

I told you Lorca was a motherfucker! He's so broken that he believes it's okay to kill your entire crew to prevent them from being tortured in Klingon hands, obscufate that fact, and then let his "Friend" hang out to dry in the hands of those same captors.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ oh yeah I forgot about that. It's like a mercy kill isn't it?I wouldn't want to get captured by Klingons either.

Anyway watched the latest episode. The character connections seem to be empty so far. Ex: last interaction Michael had with the new chief security officer at the end scene seemed like they were FORCING to create a connection between the two characters.

The episode felt like a filler.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you all watch the latest episode. They used time travel and managed to still suck. Urghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dude when all things fail use a time travel episode or a parallel universe episode. They work each time.

^ That's what I used to think until I saw the latest episode. It was sooooo weak.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The worst Star Trek of all time
27 November 2017 | by johnbaggs – See all my reviews
How absolutely dreadful. This series is wrong on so many levels. The characters are so flawed and incompetent, it's sad and pathetic. The first episode has some pansy-ass, snowflake crying during the Klingon attack. "Why are we fighting? We're explorers" boo hoo hoo. Thankfully he dies seconds after. Fraternization between crew members runs rampant, with loads of inappropriate relationships that would destroy any normal ships morale. In episode 9, Ash gets sent to a Klingon ship to assist Michael; he breaks down on the ship and goes into a PTSD coma. Was he not thoroughly examined after his liberation? After being held captive for 7 years, he's good to go to return to the ship he was imprisoned on? Stuuuupid. Admiral Cornwell in conversation with L'Rell, when questioned about Klingon captives held by Star Fleet responds: "They are imprisoned". "They are interrogated...humanely." Seriously? They are politely waterboarded????? No wonder the Klingons want to destroy them. Stuuuupid. This series makes such an effort to be so all-inclusive, politically correct, unoffensive and wishy-washy, that ends up being a lame and plastic storyline with cardboard characters. CPT. Lorca is the only slightly redeemable character but is diminished by the fact that he's nailing Admiral Cornwell, who is supposed to be his boss. That is pretty much illegal in any branch of service or Government. I honestly can't believe I made it to episode 9. But I can guarantee I won't make it past the season 1 vomitorium.

It is a shame that a series costing $8,000,000 per episode has to be produced and directed by Canadian and American Progressivists who ruin everything they touch. And yet I don't think season 1 STD has vomitorium written all over it, just some of it. If I was so inclined, I could easily say that the gay kissing scene in episode 9 was the spectacle that virtually destroyed STD. But I'm not so inclined. I'm just one to state that the (allegedly) first racial television kiss between Kirk and Uhura led logically to the first gay kiss - and also to the first human-alien sex scene on that quasi-Star Trek series called The Orville. Never mind the fact that such cavorting in the engine room of the Discovery should have led to reprimands all around (and perhaps it will in the second season opener). But in this case I am more inclined to say that gays have more rights than heteros, in the future as well as today. And so the incident will be dropped lest someone in charge be accused of homophobia and summarily court-martialed. Rights de facto, and not de jure, are still rights.

I only see that STD represents the future as Canadian Progressivists wish it to be, just as ST:TOS represents the future as Roddenberry wished it to be.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION]

I agree with the text you've quoted. I cant agree with the gay-kissing-scene because the chemistry between those two characters is the only good chemistry I see in the whole pathetic series. Star trek always had good PLATONIC chemistry between it's characters but STD has none. Atleast they managed to create a gay one. Perhaps it's because the actors who play the gay characters are good. Did you notice how hard the writers are trying to create chemistry between Michael and Lorca? It's an immense fail. Yuk.

You forget the chemistry Eliminate Garak (my favourite star trek character) had with Julian Barshir. They didn't go full gay on them but it was obviously implied atleast from Garak's character. How did you feel about that?

It's all about the acting. The actors who played those two characters were so good they managed to pull it off.

I was laughing when the cast of STD were saying that Donald Trump should watch this series because he could learn from them. I felt was furious when I heard that. Your series sucks and you are forcing the president of America to watch your fucking series? How overconfident could you be?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see a lot of religious conservatives complain about gay characters on screen. It never bothered me therefore and considered their reactions silly. But maybe I am being unfair. What if star trek decided one of its main characters should have a sex change. Would I agree with that? No I don't think so.

I wouldn't definitely be comfortable if one of the characters decided to have an abortion and if the writers try to sell it to the audience by imply that women are independent, it's their body etc

And I would be furious that PC writers are forcing it on us.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal12345[/MENTION]

I agree with the text you've quoted. I cant agree with the gay-kissing-scene because the chemistry between those two characters is the only good chemistry I see in the whole pathetic series. Star trek always had good PLATONIC chemistry between it's characters but STD has none. Atleast they managed to create a gay one. Perhaps it's because the actors who play the gay characters are good. Did you notice how hard the writers are trying to create chemistry between Michael and Lorca? It's an immense fail. Yuk.

You forget the chemistry Eliminate Garak (my favourite star trek character) had with Julian Barshir. They didn't go full gay on them but it was obviously implied atleast from Garak's character. How did you feel about that?

It's all about the acting. The actors who played those two characters were so good they managed to pull it off.

I was laughing when the cast of STD were saying that Donald Trump should watch this series because he could learn from them. I felt was furious when I heard that. Your series sucks and you are forcing the president of America to watch your fucking series? How overconfident could you be?

It's probably by design that the only good chemistry is between gay characters. I don't remember Garak and Barshir. I was paying more attention to giving animal rights to an insect (the tardigrade).

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watching every episode like a good Trekkie thinking things would get better.

Please stop Discovery. Go back to what we know and love about Star Trek. Please stop fucking with the Star Trek formula that has worked so well for the past 50 years.