• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pagan metal/rock appreciation thread

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pagan metal is all well and good of course, but I also love simple ballads played with more traditional instruments.

Like this gem...

Some excellent worship music....

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More worship music....

Got to see Faun two years in a row...I count myself pretty lucky. A lot of people came from states away, and the event (Faerie Con) was just 40 mins. up the road from me. Even got my picture taken with the singer and hurdy-gurdy player! They're cool people and their music is really great - it's more celebratory, than necessarily ceremonial, but some of it could definitely suit that purpose.

with oliver.jpg

I also got the chance to meet Wendy Rule when she was a guest performer at the Maryland Faerie Fest. I got an autographed CD from her and chit-chatted a bit. Really, anything by Lisa Thiel or Wendy Rule makes for great ritual music, no matter what tradition you follow, ie. Druidry or Asatru. It's somewhat generic in lyrical content, without being fluff.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of my favorites which push the limits of the genre a bit. :)

[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] - I adore Eivor. Really love the direction she's gone in with her last 2-3 albums. "Undo Your Mind" is definitely one of her more powerful tracks.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] - I adore Eivor. Really love the direction she's gone in with her last 2-3 albums. "Undo Your Mind" is definitely one of her more powerful tracks.
Awesome that you're an Eivor fan too! :) Another of my favorite songs of hers is i Tokuni (Into the Mist). I like the native Faroese language version better because it just seems to have more intensity and feeling.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesome that you're an Eivor fan too! :) Another of my favorite songs of hers is i Tokuni (Into the Mist). I like the native Faroese language version better because it just seems to have more intensity and feeling.

There is definitely that mystical quality to her songs, which is made even more haunting by the syntax of the Faroese language. The Faroe islands are a bit of a mystery to me. Tiny, itty bitty population comprised of a bunch of crusty old fishermen along with the residents who just never had a desire to relocate (to Denmark, usually), and apparently don't mind the lack of action or any sort of excitement in general. They are self-governing, but used to belong to Denmark and there is a sense of fierceness, an independent spirit to those islands. They're pretty darn isolated, but still near enough to UK, Iceland, & mainland Scandinavia to be culturally impacted by said countries. Never been there myself, but have engaged w/ some Faroese people in Youtube comments section. They regard Eivor as a sort of national treasure... though she, like many others before her, had to leave for Denmark to have any sort of career.

Oh, and whatever you do... never argue with a Faroe islander about any aspect of whaling. If you even attempt to suggest that it is somehow wrong, or that they may not be operating completely above board, you will get roasted.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
There is definitely that mystical quality to her songs, which is made even more haunting by the syntax of the Faroese language. The Faroe islands are a bit of a mystery to me. Tiny, itty bitty population comprised of a bunch of crusty old fishermen along with the residents who just never had a desire to relocate (to Denmark, usually), and apparently don't mind the lack of action or any sort of excitement in general. They are self-governing, but used to belong to Denmark and there is a sense of fierceness, an independent spirit to those islands. They're pretty darn isolated, but still near enough to UK, Iceland, & mainland Scandinavia to be culturally impacted by said countries. Never been there myself, but have engaged w/ some Faroese people in Youtube comments section. They regard Eivor as a sort of national treasure... though she, like many others before her, had to leave for Denmark to have any sort of career.

Oh, and whatever you do... never argue with a Faroe islander about any aspect of whaling. If you even attempt to suggest that it is somehow wrong, or that they may not be operating completely above board, you will get roasted.

I like your description of the Faroe islands and their culture. I had never heard of them before Eivor. Hey! I may have helped a little with encouraging her to do i Tokuni. :D Back in 2012 when she only had a few hundred followers, I sent her a message or Facebook comment suggesting that it would be awesome to for her to do a song about one of her encounters with nature with the same intensity as Undo Your Mind.

Ha ha! Thanks for the warning about whaling! :D

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like your description of the Faroe islands and their culture. I had never heard of them before Eivor. Hey! I may have helped a little with encouraging her to do i Tokuni. :D Back in 2012 when she only had a few hundred followers, I sent her a message or Facebook comment suggesting that it would be awesome to for her to do a song about one of her encounters with nature with the same intensity as Undo Your Mind.

Ha ha! Thanks for the warning about whaling! :D

Ahh that is such an awesome story... It's funny how her career has taken off in the last few years; probably attributable to people watching History channel's Vikings and youtubing "viking music." That series had some great music, i.e. Wardruna. Stands to reason that viewers would have looked up Wardruna and other music in that series, and had Eivor suggested as a similar artist.

I myself discovered her stuff back in early 2013, so a little later than you! I was first mesmerized by her "Trollabundin" performance, how primal, visceral with all that grunting and growling lol... Beauty and the Beast contained in one woman, who also happens to rock on percussion and guitar! Have been hooked ever since...One of the best female singer-songwriters in music right now, in my opinion.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Ahh that is such an awesome story... It's funny how her career has taken off in the last few years; probably attributable to people watching History channel's Vikings and youtubing "viking music." That series had some great music, i.e. Wardruna. Stands to reason that viewers would have looked up Wardruna and other music in that series, and had Eivor suggested as a similar artist.
That's a likely explanation. I hadn't thought of that.

I myself discovered her stuff back in early 2013, so a little later than you! I was first mesmerized by her "Trollabundin" performance, how primal, visceral with all that grunting and growling lol... Beauty and the Beast contained in one woman, who also happens to rock on percussion and guitar! Have been hooked ever since...One of the best female singer-songwriters in music right now, in my opinion.
My thoughts on "Trollabundin" also! :D

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, I don't even know what she's singing, but whoa Eivor...