• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which of the walking dead tv shows are better and why?

Lark

Which do you think is better, the walking dead itself or the fear the walking dead spin off?

I like the later better but I watch both of them to be honest, which did you like the best?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have issues with both.

I have watched all of The Walking Dead. I watched Fear the Walking Dead to the midseason finale of Season 2, so that means I did not finish watching Season 2 or any of the new season, although a friend just told me who died (thank god, I was so sick of that character) and who is alive (again, something I like because I was kind of disappointed at the demise).

TWD has had some great character episodes and some great zombie episodes, but usually for everything good it does, it screws something else up badly enough to ruin momentum / make the series seem dumb. I actually liked the first two seasons the best and through the birth of Judith (powerful episodes), then hated much of The Governor stuff. Since then it has been a love/hate thing.

I was excited about FtWD because it was a new approach to the topic but seemed to end up like TWD to some degree plus some of the episodes were terrible. (The one on the boat had the stupidest ending known to man.) It's just really difficult for me to invest personally when characters are dumb and/or plot resolutions are silly.

So I can't really pick

Lark

I think I could survive for longer in the world of fear the walking dead than the other, plus I like the idea of spending a lot of time at sea on some super self-efficient boat.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I am more invested in the characters of the walking dead, and negan was outstanding this year, he gave me that sense of dread that I used to experience in season 1 and 2 so for me the last season of WD was one of the best .
That being said I really thought FWD was going to give us fresh perspective and in a way it did, with them learning to be amongst the dead walking with the herds and showing healthy people as the main problem early on. Watching a new groop learn to be among them in a way, was interesting.
Either way FWD gives me my zombie apocalypse fix while I wait on WD 😜

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Negan as well, at least he was always interesting to watch even if he slightly overstayed his welcome because it just got so repetitive after awhile due to dragging that plotline out. Aside from the overhyped double-death of the Season 7 opener which just turned a lot of people off, I liked the rest of that episode and typically Negan's scenes. Not sure they could have cast him or played him better.

Still, like I said, the cyclic plots got old fast, with characters doing dumb or repetitive things. It's always the problem. I wish sometimes they only had 8-10 episodes a season because they'd then have to make the scenes count versus all the rehash.

I hated Beth, I thought they wasted Andrea in Season 3, and I really liked Shane in Season 1-2 and thought they were doing some daring stuff with him for a lead character. I hated Carol for two seasons, but then she buckled down and suddenly she became one of my favorites... until the end of last season through much of this one, where she felt very wasted and pointlessly aimless.

When they could tie deaths to moral decisions and sociological interactions, I find the series a lot more interesting -- like that whole bit with the venture to the warehouse, which resulted in two deaths, the debacle in the revolving door, and Nick getting suckerpunched by Glenn. Horrific, engrossing, terrifying.

I think I could survive for longer in the world of fear the walking dead than the other, plus I like the idea of spending a lot of time at sea on some super self-efficient boat.

I liked the boat element. I just didn't feel like it was well-capitalized on, in Season 2 (well, the half I watched).

I've heard too about how some humans are coexisting within the hordes of zombies now -- that was just a one-off idea appearing a few times in TWD and usually failing (resulting in multiple cast deaths). So it's weird to see it so effective in FTWD, when it's been shunned and/or a flop in TWD.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love TWD but I have really hated FTWD.
My biggest issue with FTWD is the only person I like they killed off in Mexico. Really, I hate the entire Clark family and at this point the acting is so bad I want the zombies to win.

I definitely prefer TWD. FTWD was annoying especially because it seemed in the initial stages of the outbreak when they were in their neighborhood that the ever growing population of walkers was conspicuously absent. Those army guys were just hanging out like a buffet and yet the undead never seemed to start piling up outside the fences.

Even TWD is getting a bit stale. There's only so long a zombie apocalypse can be interesting. I love the characters but you know the eventual outcome. Mankind is doomed. Unless Kirkman decides to define what caused the outbreak and if there is a counter to it's effects. Even then the world is never going to be what it was and the survivors would have to hope the walkers will eventually run down without a food source. As long as they don't go Romero and have walkers evolving I'll keep watching. I'm too heavily invested in some of the characters to stop. lol

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not really feeling any connection to the fear characters. With TWD, I felt something for some of them as early as the first season. they were just more endearing. The characters on the new show feel more like caricatures. Strand and Nick are the most interesting of the lot and Alicia has potential to grow. The lead is basically a clone of Rick, but again, noweher near as endearing or human. :shrug:

I think TWD sometimes suffers from focusing on too many "slow" moments that are supposed to be character development, but often just turn into extended monologues/dialogues filled with cliched lines about surviving and retaining humanity. On the flip, FTWD doesn't have enough focus on character development and almost seems like it's too concerned on showing us a lot of action and gore as a reaction to criticisms of TWD being "too slow." They just need to find a better balance with both shows, IMO

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually find Strand and Nick the most interesting of the cast in FTWD, from the time I watched. I also liked another character who I thought had died, but apparently now maybe that character is actually alive? So that's positive. but note these are all the "interesting" characters -- the ones who walk to the beat of a different drummer, know what they want or at least are willing to explore what they want, versus following convention or just having kneejerk reactions to things. They are not fettered by conventional moralities. [This is zombieworld now. The rules are all different. (At least, I propose they are; I know some disagree.)]

I thought Dougray Scott was kinda cool too.

Which is a shame, because I was a fan of Cliff Curtis (the dad) and Kim Dickens (the mom), they're decent actors and I've liked them immensely in other roles and was happy at their casting.

I also really liked Frank Dillane from what I saw of him as young Tom Riddle in the Harry Potter movies... pretty chilling, precocious kid.

I just wish they had a show more deserving of them.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I liked Negan as well, at least he was always interesting to watch even if he slightly overstayed his welcome because it just got so repetitive after awhile due to dragging that plotline out. Aside from the overhyped double-death of the Season 7 opener which just turned a lot of people off, I liked the rest of that episode and typically Negan's scenes. Not sure they could have cast him or played him better. Still, like I said, the cyclic plots got old fast, with characters doing dumb or repetitive things. It's always the problem. I wish sometimes they only had 8-10 episodes a season because they'd then have to make the scenes count versus all the rehash. I hated Beth, I thought they wasted Andrea in Season 3, and I really liked Shane in Season 1-2 and thought they were doing some daring stuff with him for a lead character. I hated Carol for two seasons, but then she buckled down and suddenly she became one of my favorites... until the end of last season through much of this one, where she felt very wasted and pointlessly aimless. When they could tie deaths to moral decisions and sociological interactions, I find the series a lot more interesting -- like that whole bit with the venture to the warehouse, which resulted in two deaths, the debacle in the revolving door, and Nick getting suckerpunched by Glenn. Horrific, engrossing, terrifying. I liked the boat element. I just didn't feel like it was well-capitalized on, in Season 2 (well, the half I watched). I've heard too about how some humans are coexisting within the hordes of zombies now -- that was just a one-off idea appearing a few times in TWD and usually failing (resulting in multiple cast deaths). So it's weird to see it so effective in FTWD, when it's been shunned and/or a flop in TWD.
There was so much more they could have done with Shane, dale was right when he said that this new world was for people like Shane, shane did what he had to do.
but what I liked about season 1-2 everyone was expendable because in truth everyone should be vulnerable. Especially Judith, no way that baby was surviving! That was like a big huh?? But I let it slide.
I need them to give Daryl a love interest, I need them to also either kill carl or stop pretending they are going to. And I honestly think they should have killed Glenn the first time and negan should have killed Maggie .. but that's just me.

Season 3 is shaping up better for FWD , IMO

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, Shane died really fast in the comics, but they got another whole season out of him and used it to push and change Rick versus being over too quickly. So that was a good thing; they did a lot more with him than the comics did. That whole episode with Shane and Otis was great and showed how easy it is to slide when the world had changed as it had.