User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 35

  1. #1
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default The Importance of Art

    What is the importance of art in your opinion? Whether it be in general or personally?

    I ask this because this morning my sister said "I don't care about arts" in regards to recent cuts in arts programs by our PM here in Canada. I was mortally offended inside, but all I managed to say was something as lame as "well if you get rid of all the arts in the world you'd see how important it is."

    Well, anyway. What would you respond?

    How much does art matter to you, or does it at all?
    What is the use of art?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Art is a slice of what goes on in my mind -- at least artwork created by me.

    Every other work of art is irrelevant.

    And if you're talking about modern art made by people who are actually not good at art and invent some wild interpretation of it to impress their girlfriends, well, that's not art, that's just junk made to appeal to the gullible.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Pan_Sonic000's sig line - "Art is simply man's desperate effort to give shape to his most clairvoyant dreams." I like that.

    After the Eiffel tower was built someone asked what its purpose was, in a scoffing way. Its existence is its own purpose.

    I agree with the OP that some philistine's will never "get it" though, regardless of the fact that there is admittedly some pretension in the art sector, as there is in others.

    Realizing all of the above wouldn't stop me from chuckling at a line like "I write to understand" when I'm in a certain mood, though, even though I believe in the sincerity.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  4. #4
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    I'm an art nut. I love inspiring art, and albeit I have my own ideals on what's beautiful or not, I can't imagine my world without it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Most "art" is shit. But I like art.

  6. #6
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    What is the importance of art in your opinion?
    Art is a pathway to the unconscious.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Art is a pathway to the unconscious.
    Surely, there is more than one path.

  8. #8
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Surely, there is more than one path.

    hence "a" pathway, not "the" pathway

    Art is only important to human development after more pressing physical needs have been met. Just as you have to secure consciousness, before pondering the imponderables of the unconscious. It is a luxury even to debate how much we spend on it, when so many people don't have the essentials of existence.

    That sounds deeper than it's meant to....

  9. #9
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    What is the importance of art in your opinion? Whether it be in general or personally?

    I ask this because this morning my sister said "I don't care about arts" in regards to recent cuts in arts programs by our PM here in Canada. I was mortally offended inside, but all I managed to say was something as lame as "well if you get rid of all the arts in the world you'd see how important it is."

    Well, anyway. What would you respond?

    How much does art matter to you, or does it at all?
    What is the use of art?
    I used to think like your sister because I didn't know any better. I guess I didn't have much exposure to the fine arts when I was young, though I was exposed to music, at least on the folk and popular level.

    I read recently that studies have shown that children who learn to play a musical instrument do better in school.
    I mention this because when schools cut arts programs, the music programs are usually included in the mix.


    Piano Lessons for Children: Learning to Play a Musical Instrument is Good for Children
    "Improved school performance. In 2000, Francis Rauscher published research indicating that classroom keyboard lessons causes long-term enhancement of the spatial-temporal reasoning abilities of children (Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15, 215-228). In plain English, this means that learning to play the piano helped kids understand concepts behind science, math, and even engineering."
    In fact, this page lists 6 reasons why music lessons are beneficial to children.


    Music and Your School-age Child
    Research has shown that children who are actively involved in music (who play it or sing it regularly):
    * Do better in reading
    * Learn coordination, goal-setting, concentration, and cooperation
    * Are more likely to do better in math and science because music helps build reasoning skills and cognitive development, which are important to both
    * Get along better with their peers and have higher self-esteem
    * Are more likely to go to college
    One study demonstrated that second-grade students who were given keyboard training while also using math software scored higher on proportional math and fractions tests than students who used the software alone. And students who have been involved in public school music programs score higher on their SATs than those who don't.

  10. #10
    Senior Member placebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    hence "a" pathway, not "the" pathway

    Art is only important to human development after more pressing physical needs have been met. Just as you have to secure consciousness, before pondering the imponderables of the unconscious. It is a luxury even to debate how much we spend on it, when so many people don't have the essentials of existence.

    That sounds deeper than it's meant to....
    I disagree... I'm curious as to where the idea of art being a luxury comes from. I see art as rather basic actually--it's been around since cavemen. It's a part of human history and dates back way before philosophy, which I know many people like to consider a luxury. There is so much simplicity in creating music with whatever you have, or creating a sculpture or a drawing. Perhaps getting an extensive art collection/gallery is extravagant and a luxury, but not all art is so unaccessable.

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I used to think like your sister because I didn't know any better. I guess I didn't have much exposure to the fine arts when I was young, though I was exposed to music, at least on the folk and popular level.

    I read recently that studies have shown that children who learn to play a musical instrument do better in school.
    I mention this because when schools cut arts programs, the music programs are usually included in the mix.


    Piano Lessons for Children: Learning to Play a Musical Instrument is Good for Children
    "Improved school performance. In 2000, Francis Rauscher published research indicating that classroom keyboard lessons causes long-term enhancement of the spatial-temporal reasoning abilities of children (Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 15, 215-228). In plain English, this means that learning to play the piano helped kids understand concepts behind science, math, and even engineering."
    In fact, this page lists 6 reasons why music lessons are beneficial to children.


    Music and Your School-age Child
    Research has shown that children who are actively involved in music (who play it or sing it regularly):
    * Do better in reading
    * Learn coordination, goal-setting, concentration, and cooperation
    * Are more likely to do better in math and science because music helps build reasoning skills and cognitive development, which are important to both
    * Get along better with their peers and have higher self-esteem
    * Are more likely to go to college
    One study demonstrated that second-grade students who were given keyboard training while also using math software scored higher on proportional math and fractions tests than students who used the software alone. And students who have been involved in public school music programs score higher on their SATs than those who don't.

    I remember studies like these. I think it's great to have music in your life, so that these studies can encourage people to teach kids music is awesome. And points like these are probably more likely to show people who don't naturally have an affinity for the fine arts the importance it can have. Thanks for the links

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Art is a slice of what goes on in my mind -- at least artwork created by me.

    Every other work of art is irrelevant.

    And if you're talking about modern art made by people who are actually not good at art and invent some wild interpretation of it to impress their girlfriends, well, that's not art, that's just junk made to appeal to the gullible.
    That's interesting... so art is very personal then isn't it?

    Haha well I dunno about modern art, there's a lot I like, but PostModern art is usually quite a bit senseless I think.


    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Pan_Sonic000's sig line - "Art is simply man's desperate effort to give shape to his most clairvoyant dreams." I like that.

    After the Eiffel tower was built someone asked what its purpose was, in a scoffing way. Its existence is its own purpose.

    I agree with the OP that some philistine's will never "get it" though, regardless of the fact that there is admittedly some pretension in the art sector, as there is in others.

    Realizing all of the above wouldn't stop me from chuckling at a line like "I write to understand" when I'm in a certain mood, though, even though I believe in the sincerity.
    I like that quote and that concept. Trying to translate an intangible and ideal dream into some materialistic creation. Quite an endeavour. Also like the idea of the art's existence as its own purpose. Hahah and I agree with the rest


    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm an art nut. I love inspiring art, and albeit I have my own ideals on what's beautiful or not, I can't imagine my world without it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Most "art" is shit. But I like art.
    Haha, yea "art" can be quite ill-defined.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Art is a pathway to the unconscious.
    Interesting
    Last edited by MacGuffin; 09-30-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: merged posts

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJ - the importance of space?
    By janey_girl in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
  2. The importance of math, statistics and facts in life
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
  3. The importance of feelings?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
  4. The importance of the temperaments in MBTT
    By Ezra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO