User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    infp

What was worst about Harper's art cutbacks was that he said "ordinary people" do not relate to art, which I think is utter bullshit, and I think it's stupid that he isn't respecting artists as "ordinary" people, as if they are less or soemthing. I think cutting back in arts in Canada particularly is a bad idea, but thats political, and this is about art, so I'll put it aside unless you want to discuss it.

What is the importance of art? The short answer is that it is important because it is awesome. The other importance is that it gives some identity and meaning to things. I was in Chicago this summer and I think now, what would it be without the sculptures and museams of Millenium Park? They make the city. The architecture makes the city. Business could go on as usual if it wasn't stunning and artistically beautiful in it's architecture and parks, but it is elevated to so much more by it's art. Chicago is also famous for it's music history. Art is part of culture, culture is very important. If the art suffers, the culture suffers too. Maybe thats all part of evolution, but I think it is also regressive to turn it off completely. Stopping evolution of art would be to not let it change, stopping it altogether o partially is just bad for culture.

But Canada is somewhat of a unique case because our culture is always on the verge of being taken over by the US culture, so I personally think the cut back on arts is a bad idea. Without government support of art and artists, they would not be able to do what they do. If they stayed invisible our culture would surely get overwhelmed by the US.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not sure really if art as a concept is important really. I mean, one could say that art is just a tool of sorts, and depending on what kind of person you are, and what kind of needs you have, art (in all of it's shapes) has varying degrees of importance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    That's interesting... so art is very personal then isn't it?
    Not necessarily. I just don't like art unless it's created by me. Why in the hell should I care about other people's art?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Without art, we could not have convoluted and long-winded pseudo-intellectual conversations on what art is. And that would be a terrible loss.

Sarcasm aside (sorry, I took a lot of art history classes, and all that time reading theorists and historians can make a person never want to see another "meaning of art" discussion in their life because there are some self-righteous bullshit critics out there who ruin the discourse, lol), I mourn cutting funds for the arts. The arts give people a different kind of way to explore their imaginations, emotions, ideas or creative abilities, and when you take away classes, you remove avenues for that and instill in people the crochety idea that "well, it's all useless frivolessness if you're not amazing enough to become a professional, anyway." It's sad when most people are made to feel that they shouldn't create unless they're some amazing talent. Similarly, I dislike it when people use art as their own personal path to pretentious exclusivity.

I remember in afterschool in elementary there were all kinds of great classes - crocheting, painting, sewing, music. In high school there was chorus and photography. I learned a lot of neat skills that allowed me to be able to make a lot of my own things later on, and I met a lot of cool people too.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

art is one of the only ways to see the world through someone else's eyes. take that away and we lose a connection to history and others.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

I was just thinking, how many ways are there to see the world through other peoples eyes? Besides the arts in all of it's shapes.
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptowin View Post
    I was just thinking, how many ways are there to see the world through other peoples eyes? Besides the arts in all of it's shapes.
    That's my problem perhaps. I look at it with my own eyes, and judge it endlessly.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    That's my problem perhaps. I look at it with my own eyes, and judge it endlessly.
    Perhaps, that's for you to judge. I wouldn't say that it is a problem, until it starts to get in your way.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptowin View Post
    Perhaps, that's for you to judge. I wouldn't say that it is a problem, until it starts to get in your way.

By the way, what do we count as art?
    Heh heh, I don't see it as a problem either.

Art is almost entirely subjective, so it's almost entirely pointless to invent a universal definition.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Art is almost entirely subjective, so it's almost entirely pointless to invent a universal definition.
    Since it's only almost entirely pointless... eh, never mind...

Anyway, to anwser placebos questions.

Well, anyway. What would you respond?
    Depending on the circumstances, I'd ask her why she thinks that way and then try to respond accordingly as well as i can... which would be something as lame as; Well, that's your loss.

How much does art matter to you, or does it at all?
    My art is everything to me.

What is the use of art?
    Good question, I guess that it could be anything really, it's up to the artist or viewer/listener etc. I myself consider art to be a tool.