User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Thread: 2008 NFL Season

MBTI
    INTP

I wasn't so hot on the signing either. In fact I would have preferred if Lito had stopped whining so much and proved how much better he was than Sheldon, who while decent is terrible when it comes to making plays or really shutting down top receivers. Burress consistently man handled him.
    Last edited by Simplexity; 01-10-2009 at 10:34 PM.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I wasn't so hot on the signing either. In fact I would have preferred if Lito had stopped whining so much and proved how much better he was than Sheldon, who while decent is terrible when it comes to making plays or really shutting down top corners. Burress consistently man handled him.
    You think? I've always thought Sheldon Brown was a better player than Sheppard. Sheppard had a knack for big plays, but I've always thought Brown was the steadier and more consistent player, and the best player on the defense not named Dawkins.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Steady and consistent isn't necessarily what I prefer. So while I don't necessarily disagree with you that he is steady and consistent and often times doesn't get too much recognition because he usually doesn't get embarrassed really at all. He just doesn't seem to take advantage sometimes of opportunities, I know plenty of times it feels like he is always in good position but doesn't trust himself and plays for the incompletion or securing the tackler.

His hands routinely escape him as well. I'm sure you caught some of the ravens game. Ed Reed is absolutely brilliant when it comes to getting into good position and using his hands, as is Troy polomalu and Champ Bailey. While obviously those guys are top class players and it is pretty unfair to hold others to that standard, you can definitely notice the difference in approaches. The confidence, fluidity, aggressiveness, and body control just isn't there for me. That determination to want to put yourself out on a little bit of a limb isn't there either.

Sometimes I think that is a fault of the Eagles in recent years. Dawkins in his prime used to basically embody that whole approach and it permeated throughout out the defense. Westbrook when on his game has a similar affect. Defensively they need to get back to that on a more consistent basis (they've been great this year but in certain situations, not necessarily). Offensively it hasn't been there enough.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said about Sheldon Brown, I guess it's just that we value different aspects of a player's game differently. I don't know if you read or like Football Outsiders, but they rated Brown as the best corner in the NFL this season.

I agree that the Eagles generally have lacked gamebreakers in recent years. Westbrook and maybe now DeSean Jackson are the exceptions. Asante Samuel has the rep for being such a player, but hasn't shown it as an Eagle. But I tend to prefer steady players who don't get killed. I'd be a pretty boring football coach
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with anything you said about Sheldon Brown, I guess it's just that we value different aspects of a player's game differently. I don't know if you read or like Football Outsiders, but they rated Brown as the best corner in the NFL this season.

I agree that the Eagles generally have lacked gamebreakers in recent years. Westbrook and maybe now DeSean Jackson are the exceptions. Asante Samuel has the rep for being such a player, but hasn't shown it as an Eagle. But I tend to prefer steady players who don't get killed. I'd be a pretty boring football coach
    Mangini anyone...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP

It's times like this where I really get annoyed, even apathetic, as an Eagles fan. Time after time they're just way too complacent and disinterested. Not that there was necessarily blame to be had, but too frequently they just don't get it done. Everything has to be clicking perfectly and the stars have to align for them to have a good all around performance. In any athletic endeavor I've ever encountered I've been the complete opposite. I will slack around a bit and sort of assess the situation and get things moving, try and get comfortable and involved but when it comes down to it there is no excuse in my mind to not extend myself. I think that is reflected in my appreciation for more of the gamebreakers, not flashy or cocky, although they don't necessarily rub me the wrong way to a massive extent.

It's ridiculous in that it seems like they somehow are at a loss for what it takes to finish. I mean you look at the colts and Peyton, New England and Tom Brady, I'll even give you Roethlesburger they game plan for those times. Their decisive, just like those aforementioned defensive players.

MBTI
    IsTP

Roethlesburger is OVERRATED...the D has been carrying him his whole career. Worst winning Superbowl performance I've ever witnessed by a so-call elite QB

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP

Did I mention Sheldon and his hands...

MBTI
    IsTP

Beat me to it!!!

MBTI
    IsTP

Game over