• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Brothers Karamazov

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Question for those of you who have read it: why do you suppose Alyosha never acknowledges Smerdyakov as a brother?

(I'm writing a thesis, testing my own speculation on the reason 'most' people would give.)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For Alyosha, Smerdyakov is his father's servant and merely rumored to be his illegitimate brother. He was not acknowledged by their father. As such, he is not a legal brother, as well as not a gentleman or of the gentleman class.

So let's take your question and flip it: under what circumstances would Alyosha ever realistically acknowledge him as his brother? Would it even occur to him to do so? Would it even be his place? If he had done so, would it ring true for the Russian culture of the era?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well that's kind of the topic of my thesis. (And of course, feel free to discuss it, if you want.)

What I'm looking for specifically is to test my own speculation about what the typical assumption is for others while they read the novel. I'm going to guess that most people don't think very hard about it, and basically accept that Alyosha just always knew Smerdyakov as a servant and never questioned it.

(And thanks for responding. :) )