• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2017 Oscar Nomination Discussion

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Ali's speech. You don't often to hear the actors thank their teachers. Easy to forget that work.

I thought Star Trek would win.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're watching it especially because my boyfriend is a huge movie buff. I have to say that the overall feeling of the schmoozing, glitter, and yucky Justin Timberlake performance is disturbing to me. For some reason certain actors are giving me a hugely negative vibe, but I can't say why except they feel fake to a degree that makes triggers me.

We've been watching a few of the nominated movies including La La Land, which I liked for a musical - I usually don't like when everyone sings and dances in a hyper and stylized manner. That movie was original and touching in its entirety.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Ali's speech. You don't often to hear the actors thank their teachers. Easy to forget that work.

I thought Star Trek would win.
He did feel very sincere. I commented on it as a noticeable contrast to many of the others.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wish I could have heard it. My sound was still turned off, I didn't finish the phone call until after.

"OJ: Made in America" = Best Documentary. haven't seen it. I don't think I saw any documentaries. Kimmel, man... your OJ jokes suck. What... oh way to spin the energy back by being self-deprecating. nice save.

[MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION]: yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling too. Some of it can feel fake or overwrought, like the pre-show.

EDIT: DAYUM, is that tuxedo PAINTED on Dwayne Johnson? that guy is so built. But they won't let him sing. Yay. I guess here is the Moana song.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, way to read off that teleprompter / memorized cue cards for that speech.

EDIT: Kimmel: "That was poignant and moving..." lol

EDIT2: YIKE LITTLE PARACHUTES DROPPING FROM SKY -- PLEASE GOD I HOPE IT WILL BE HUNGER GAMES AND WIPE OUT HALF THE CROWD

EDIT3: Sound Editing: ARRIVAL. Woot

EDIT4: Sound Mixing: Hacksaw Ridge. I think he's crying. Nice comments about his mom.

Best Supporting Actress is coming.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anytime I see Mel Gibson I think of the South Park episode where he goes nuts but everyone keeps saying: "Say what you want, the son of a bitch knows story structure."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I wish I could have heard it. My sound was still turned off, I didn't finish the phone call until after.

"OJ: Made in America" = Best Documentary. haven't seen it. I don't think I saw any documentaries. Kimmel, man... your OJ jokes suck. What... oh way to spin the energy back by being self-deprecating. nice save.

[MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION]: yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling too. Some of it can feel fake or overwrought, like the pre-show.

EDIT: DAYUM, is that tuxedo PAINTED on Dwayne Johnson? that guy is so built. But they won't let him sing. Yay. I guess here is the Moana song.

OJ Made in America is great. I mean, it's a ESPN 30 for 30, I watch all those. But it was very deserved and Ezra Edelman is really fascinating, I'd watch anything he made.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BSActress = Viola Davis, again no big surprise. Interesting speech, she obviously felt every word of it and it had a beginning I wasn't expecting.

OJ Made in America is great. I mean, it's a ESPN 30 for 30, I watch all those. But it was very deserved and Ezra Edelman is really fascinating, I'd watch anything he made.

I liked his speech. Seemed to be a pretty articulate guy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That opening bit with Maclaine and Theron sounded adlib, not canned. It was kind of sweet. Maclaine gets teased for being a little nutty (at least, she was ribbed twenty years ago), but she's got a great dry sense of humor.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the book 'A Man Called Ove'. Curious to see how the movie plays out.

What's with all 80's music intro/outros?

Edit: Oops. First 90's one. Bittersweet Symphony

Edit 2: I saw Piper. It was really adorable.

All these shorts look great.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ooops.... someone mentioned the word WALL.

Animated short = Piper (pixar)

Animated feature = Zootopia. Again, pretty expected. And it's a great, relevant movie. But I still really do love Kubo.

.... haha, Stephen Bishop cover. From Tootsie. As the 50 Shades of Blech team (?) comes out...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ooops.... someone mentioned the word WALL.

Animated short = Piper (pixar)

Animated feature = Zootopia. Again, pretty expected. And it's a great, relevant movie. But I still really do love Kubo.

It took an hour and a half. Other than The Salesman, no one has been really political, well, Kimmel but that's expected.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who is this crowd of random people from again?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sting's song had integrity and wasn't lipsinked.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"OVERRATED" *snark*

Sting's song had integrity and wasn't lipsinked.

I thought that was great, just with his guitar.

EDIT: What's another name that rhymes with "jewelry"? How about "what-the-f*ckery"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's FRAHNKENSTEEEN.

EDIT: Visual Effects = The Jungle Book. I feel bad for Kubo, but the Jungle Book really was excellent, and the animals looked very real.

EDIT1: BOoya to Back to the Future. Yeah, I so bad wanted to hang on the back of cars on a skateboard.

Oh gawd, Seth.... I hope they do the whole song.