• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Dune Movie

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It will probably be another 2-3 years until it releases, but....

After a month of quiet, now it’s confirmed: Brian Herbert, son of original Dune novel writer Frank, has tweeted out that Villeneuve has officially signed on to direct a new Dune project:

It's official -- Legendary Pictures has signed the very talented Denis Villeneuve to direct the exciting new DUNE series film project.
— Brian Herbert (@DuneAuthor) February 1, 2017

In the past few years, Villeneuve has marked him out as one of the finest working directors, with a run of films that suggest he’s perfectly suited for the Dune property. His filmography is defined by taking popular genres and creating engaging, thoughtful riffs on them – kidnap thrillers with Prisoners, doppelgangers with Enemy, drug wars with Sicario – and Dune‘s space-epic offers plenty of similar opportunities. Most importantly, though, the director is clearly a fan – his desire to make the film was raised before it was even a possibility – which means he’ll no doubt give it his all...

While I'm bummed that I won't seen an original project come out by Denis Villeneuve as has been happening, I think he's established himself to have the dramatic chops + kind of unsettling/evocative approach that would be right up Dune's alley. Villeneuve's moves all feel a bit "off" in that they aren't quite on the beaten path, and if you've seen Enemy or Arrival you might recognize the kind of tone I am referring to. That vibe would fit the Dune world, I think. He also won't stink up the screen with tons of special effects AKA "Gods of Egypt" or some kind of preposterous approach, it'll be suggestive stuff instead (like the aliens in Arrival) and again this fits the tone of Dune and the bleakness of the desert landscaping.

Dune: Denis Villeneuve Officially Set to Direct

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot Villeneuve was directing the new Blade Runner.
He seems to have earned his way into "franchise revitalizer."
Sometimes that is a schlock job, but I think these two projects suit him.

Lark

I'm a little unsure that they should be doing these remakes or sequels, bladerunner and dune were great and they should be left alone.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The original Dune was pretty hit and miss. There were some parts that were great and some that grew on me, but it didn't have the right director. The cable miniseries a few years ago was good, to a point, but was also lacking.

Since they are doing a Dune series, I would actually prefer starting with Brian's prequels rather on the first Dune. They are pretty accessible and provide a good foundation that Dune was completely lacking (for good or ill).

But it is nice they are trying again.....whatever they do....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I loved Arrival, and I love the idea that Dune is/was, like LoTR, a series that was just waiting for its time to be filmed. But I suspect this is a movie property that will destroy all those who touch it, I remember like 25% of it's dialog being in the character's own heads, a lot of its elements are really hard to show without treating it like a pointless spectacle/art house project (Lynch).

Brian's prequels sucked.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm hoping it doesn't kill Villeneuve. If he can't film it, it probably can't be filmed.

As it is, it will probably have to transform a bit to make an effective movie. Have you seen the short story that Arrival was based on? Like, I am so glad it got an Oscar nod for Adapted Screenplay because Eric Heisserer did a great job in essentially rewriting the story and packing it in such a way as to have some momentum and saving the "secret" as a payoff -- the short story dumps all its secrets in the first two pages.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't care much for the original dune movie, but I quite enjoyed the 2000 dune mini-series and 2003 children of dune miniseries.

I can't see dune ever being properly adapted in a single movie, but I assume that's not what they're gonna do.

Tengri

I'm hoping it doesn't kill Villeneuve. If he can't film it, it probably can't be filmed
Ryan Gosling seems like a strange choice for the Blade Runner reboot. He seems too...cuddly for dystopia. Villeneuve's Dune could be an amazing thing, though. He could toss Patrick Steward in there again, maybe as Leto this time for the stage presence. I'm secretly hoping he adds a few bizarre Jodorowsky ideas in there...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't see dune ever being properly adapted in a single movie, but I assume that's not what they're gonna do.

Yeah, it seems like it would be hard to pull off. I like the original movie, but it's not a good adaptation or even a good movie.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
*twitch twitch* I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total annihilation. I will face my fear. I will allow it to pass over me and through me; and when it is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm hoping it doesn't kill Villeneuve. If he can't film it, it probably can't be filmed.

As it is, it will probably have to transform a bit to make an effective movie. Have you seen the short story that Arrival was based on? Like, I am so glad it got an Oscar nod for Adapted Screenplay because Eric Heisserer did a great job in essentially rewriting the story and packing it in such a way as to have some momentum and saving the "secret" as a payoff -- the short story dumps all its secrets in the first two pages.

I had heard it did depart quite a bit from the story, which was actually a very short one (?), but no I haven't read it. Being tapped for Dune and Blade Runner kind of reminds me of Duncan Jones getting success with his smaller personal visions and getting tapped to do Warcraft and having it bomb, but it is a video game movie, so *shrug*. I do hope it all works out, those properties have a lot of potential in them still.

I've always harbored a secret hope to have a movie series go all the way into the late Dune novels where sexy nuns seduce the universe.

Radio Bob

Resident Alien
For what it's worth, I also loved Arrival and look forward to a new Dune movie. It will be so much better than most of what's out there. Something to watch and think about. Many years ago, I read a Frank Herbert book that was before Dune. "The Dragon In The Sea". Never forgot it.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:popc1:

I forgive the mistakes in the movies because the struggle to adapt these books over the years is such a great, strange hell of a story in itself.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:popc1:

I forgive the mistakes in the movies because the struggle to adapt these books over the years is such a great, strange hell of a story in itself.

True. I still need to see that documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So this dropped today.

I really like Chalumet as Paul; he gives off an appropriately aristocratic vibe. Jason Momoa as Idaho also looks really good. Oscar Isaac looks good (although I don't think he gets any lines in the trailer) , although I'm a little weirded out because he isn't all that much older than me, and I guess the fact that I'm closer to Leto than Paul is yet another reminder of my own mortality.

I'm of the camp that actually enjoy's Lynch's version while recognizing that it is a trainwreck, but that being said, I think it's a good sign that this is only the first part of the book (assuming they get to do part 2). The biggest issue with Lynch's version isn't actually the Lynchian touches like the cat milking or Sting in metal briefs (which are part of why I like the damn thing; the other half being the space baroque production design), but the fact that the second half of the book seems to take place in the last half hour of the three hour movie.

I'm very impressed by the scale of the sandworms... should be awe-inspiring in the theater.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It Is Dune. I will see it. There be no choice beyond. Those books were what got me through high school.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that time has arrived.

It officially opens tomorrow, but I have tickets for tonight in theater. It is also on HBO Max for those who can't/won't go to the theater.

I am only know the bare basics, aside from seeing the Lynch version decades ago and remembering almost nothing. Response has been fairly decent, so I am hopeful, but I guess we'll see. All I know is that I never have seen a bad Villeneuve film, even among my least favorite films by him.

David Sims wrote that the best part of the film is the emotional core of the mom, dad, and son. Rebecca Ferguson is supposed to just be great. *cross fingers*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, that time has arrived.

It officially opens tomorrow, but I have tickets for tonight in theater. It is also on HBO Max for those who can't/won't go to the theater.

I am only know the bare basics, aside from seeing the Lynch version decades ago and remembering almost nothing. Response has been fairly decent, so I am hopeful, but I guess we'll see. All I know is that I never have seen a bad Villeneuve film, even among my least favorite films by him.

David Sims wrote that the best part of the film is the emotional core of the mom, dad, and son. Rebecca Ferguson is supposed to just be great. *cross fingers*
Seeing it tomorrow at the local theater that thankfully survived the pandemic. I listened to the soundtrack last night and it gave me chills.

Do you mean you've never read the book? I'm shocked. I felt you would have read it for sure.