User Tag List

Default Interstellar Debate

My INTJ and I just watched Interstellar together. Afterwards we had a discussion about the hibernation/sleep state and whether or not they would be able to dream. E made the argument that in order to survive for so long and not age that the hibernation state probably was a complete state and there would be no dreaming. I felt that because there was still brain function that there would be the possibly of dreaming. It was an interesting discussion, and I wanted to see if anyone whose seen the movie had any thoughts about it.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    IntJ
    Enneagram
    85X sx

Quote Originally Posted by jphreud View Post
    My INTJ and I just watched Interstellar together. Afterwards we had a discussion about the hibernation/sleep state and whether or not they would be able to dream. E made the argument that in order to survive for so long and not age that the hibernation state probably was a complete state and there would be no dreaming. I felt that because there was still brain function that there would be the possibly of dreaming. It was an interesting discussion, and I wanted to see if anyone whose seen the movie had any thoughts about it.
    By the (admittedly limited) understanding of science regarding dreams, dreams occur during REM sleep. It is said that bears do not experience REM sleep during hibernation:Do bears dream in winter | News | Science & Scholarship in Poland

Presumably, if humans achieve hibernation, neither will they. And so, we can assume that they would not dream.