User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Motorcycles

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Motorcycles

I'm kind of considering getting one sometime. Who rides here? What do you have?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Pink and I both ride. What sort of bike are you looking for?

MBTI
    ISTx

Oh, awesome. What do you ride?

Well, I've always been more interested in a cruiser style bike. Because I think the idea of jumping on a bike and just riding a long distance sounds intriguing. However, sport/street bikes are pretty cheap and are good at getting you from point A to point B with little gas consumed. Leaning towards a sport bike right now.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I ride, mine's a large scooter ("maxi-scooter") though. Will say that while I haven't actually rode a sportbike on the street, the seating position looks uncomfortable as hell (and I've tried sitting on them at the local powersports dealer--still feels uncomfortable as hell).

Highly recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's basic rider course though. Not sure if it costs you much down in NC, but up in PA it's free for state residents.

Long distance riding is nice... but mentally exhausting IMO. It's quite a treat to travel with your senses so close to nature--you can touch the pavement, feel the subtle changes in humidity and temperature the moment you pass through them, feel the sun on your back all the time, but after 2 hours of riding I feel desensitized like I need a nap lol.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Oh, awesome. What do you ride?

Well, I've always been more interested in a cruiser style bike. Because I think the idea of jumping on a bike and just riding a long distance sounds intriguing. However, sport/street bikes are pretty cheap and are good at getting you from point A to point B with little gas consumed. Leaning towards a sport bike right now.
    Mostly we rode one of the ones my father had - the last one I rode was a Honda CB400, which is a vintage bike. Made me so tense, not wanting to drop it, that I don't think I'll ride it again. lol

Well, there are so many to choose from now - do you have it narrowed down to one or two makers yet?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Highly recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's basic rider course though. Not sure if it costs you much down in NC, but up in PA it's free for state residents.
    Funny you mention this. Being in the service it's a requirement that you take this course (and nicely enough, on Uncle Sam's dime) before you can operate a motorcycle. I'm trying to take this course soon. I don't have to have a motorcycle to do it, so I'll probably sign up for it either way whether I decide to buy or not.

You make a good point about the long distance riding, I'd probably zone out and get desensitized too haha. Also, if I'm long distance traveling, I NEED music. Listening to music on a bike isn't really easy to pull off...

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Mostly we rode one of the ones my father had - the last one I ride was a Honda CB400, which is a vintage bike. Made me so tense, not wanting to drop it, that I don't think I'll ride it again. lol

Well, there are so many to choose from now - do you have it narrowed down to one or two makers yet?
    hehe. That's another draw to the smaller sport bikes. I'd be nervous with a big hog...

I'm looking at Yamaha.

MBTI
    INTP

You have to pay for the MSF course here in NC but still worth it. My biggest trouble was finding a spot when I took it in the Spring. But now in the Fall you shouldn't have a problem.

Edit: just read your post!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Funny you mention this. Being in the service it's a requirement that you take this course (and nicely enough, on Uncle Sam's dime) before you can operate a motorcycle. I'm trying to take this course soon. I don't have to have a motorcycle to do it, so I'll probably sign up for it either way whether I decide to buy or not.

You make a good point about the long distance riding, I'd probably zone out and get desensitized too haha. Also, if I'm long distance traveling, I NEED music. Listening to music on a bike isn't really easy to pull off...
    *cough* music on the bike? hehe...

The laws regarding earplugs, speakers and such vary from state to state, and I'm pretty sure this is illegal in both the state where I live (PA) and the state where I work/do most of my riding (MD), but I wear in-ear phones that hook into an ipod. It works pretty well for me.

I use Etymotic Research's 6i-isolator earplugs under my full-face helmet, with the ipod in one of the interior pockets of my jacket. The earplugs do a decent job of reducing outside noise, so extended highway riding is tolerable. Can't change playlists or volume with the ipod in the jacket, so you have to find a comfortable volume for the whole ride, but I can hit the ff/rw/playpause button through the jacket (sometimes tricky and I often hit the wrong button but it's usable).

One point to note though: those 6i isolator earplugs claim they deliver good bass. Bullshit. They sound excellent for all the other frequency bands (including treble) though.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP

If you haven't ridden before, beat, it's probably a good idea to start with a smaller, lighter, less expensive bike and work your way up. When you have your accident - not if - it's good to trash the cheaper one first. Heh. Silly, but practical.

I started with a 350 Honda that I could afford and could afford to drop. And I did drop it. Only once, but once is enough to learn something.

I bought two other bikes over the years, quit because my reflexes have slowed down and deer and that other driver couldn't be trusted. Spring came, I got the fever again and went out and bought myself another.

This one's got three wheels - converted Harley 1200CC Sportster. And I'm back in the game.

Edit: More. This idea of listening to music while you ride is appealing and I used to do it. But I wouldnn't anymore.

Two things: If you don't use earphones you run the risk of aggravating a lot of people driving around you. And you probably don't want to do that because hostile folks in cars are a biker's natural nemesis!

And the second is that I find, with the earphones, I'm prone to what someone around here called the "cell phone bubble."

I find it a safety must to be able to hear vehicles approaching from my rear and I think I ride better when I can hear the sound of the bike's engine.

And I don't think I need music when I've got all the sensory stimulation traveling by bike provides.

It's a great way to travel.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer