User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Motorcycles

MBTI
    istp

MBTI
    INFP

I see some did thinking and research on this.

My point remains that a helmet could possibly save your head from severe injury but you probably won't be very happy with the state the rest of your body is in. And the speed does not have to be high at all.

Denim is worthless in the case of road rash at any significant speed at all. It'll shred in seconds and so will your dermis and epidermis and maybe a few muscles and tendons along with them. The effect is similar to third-degree burns. If the body area is large enough it can kill you. That's ignoring the bone breaks altogether.

Then there's that nasty little matter of crushing your neck bones. I don't think a bicycle helmet could do that. Maybe they design motorcyle helmets now that won't also.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

I see you just posted, Jack. I don't think I said that a helmet "won't save your ass."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Anja, it appears you have a gigantic bias because you're defending the right to not wear a helmet.

Imagine, if you will, being dropped upside-down from four feet straight onto your head. Rather be wearing a helmet? I would.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Anja, it appears you have a gigantic bias because you're defending the right to not wear a helmet.

Imagine, if you will, being dropped upside-down from four feet straight onto your head. Rather be wearing a helmet? I would.
    Nah, sorry. As usual I'm just not interested in arguing for entertainment.

Take it, leave it or put it on the back burner for consideration. . .

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm not really talking about the bike itself so much as the way insurance works here. My ESTP boss just got licensed and has said it'd be cheaper for him to continue to drive his Suburban everywhere than to get a bike insured.
    I don't think so....for minimum coverage on my bike for a 19 year old rider, it's $231 for the ENTIRE year. Even upping it to maximum everything, it still is under $1000 for the year. (Note....I ride a 28 year old bike, if you're riding a brand new Ducati or Hayabusa, your costs are probably going to be a lot higher...)

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I can say with some confidence that if you wreck while pushing a modern sportbike near its limits on public roads, the primary purpose of your helmet is to ensure that when your head is found, it will be readily identifiable.
    Yes and no. If you hit something, you're dead for sure. However, if the bike slides out from under you, and you are just sliding on the road, a helmet and good jacket give you a pretty good chance of walking away without serious injuries.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Nah, sorry. As usual I'm just not interested in arguing for entertainment.
    Entertainment has nothin' to do with it!

MBTI
    istp

this isnt related, but.

[youtube=_zwiO9ARXZs]fat man gets run over by car[/youtube]

cant... stop... laughing.

i am a terrible person.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'm almost always on the side of freedom. I don't believe helmet laws should be mandatory...But to say they probably won't save your ass if you wreck is taking it a bit far.
    Depends on the wreck. If you just lay the bike down, that's one thing. Run into anything substantial at speed, though, and you're toast, helmet or not.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'm kind of considering getting one sometime. Who rides here? What do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    ......... Also, if I'm long distance traveling, I NEED music. Listening to music on a bike isn't really easy to pull off...
    A little late to the thread but I ride. I currently have a kawasaki Zx-6R and a kawasaki ZX-10R. And I listen to music, gotta have music. I just bought an extra pair of headphones that I slipped into the helmet - they do the job just fine.