Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

double post

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

No music. When you're on a bike, you are at the mercy of the people in cars around you, and you can't depend on them be alert to your presence. You're at a serious disadvantage, so you need all of your senses working.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    No music. When you're on a bike, you are at the mercy of the people in cars around you, and you can't depend on them be alert to your presence. You're at a serious disadvantage, so you need all of your senses working.
    (Ha, yeah, holds true for the unmotorized two-wheelers as well)

MBTI
    INFP

One more thought. Not everybody finds biking to their liking. It looks like fun, feels like fun on those rides you get with others. And gives a sense of freedom I've seldom found elsewhere. But it can frequently be a real pain in the pocket.

It depends on where and how much you ride, of course. But if you want to be hardcore, you're going to get stuck in hellacious storms, encounter icy roads, those dang hostile drivers, dogs who think it's funny to take a bite out of a passing snack or just bark enough to distract you. People sometimes won't notice you and cut you off - plan at least one unexpected trip to the ditch.

The clothing in order to be safe, if you care to have it, will cost you a small fortune. You'll probably discover that you'd like good eyewear and it doesn't come cheap if you want something that stays on and works well.

You'll get sore, wind- and sunburned. And a long ride is guaranteed to tire you out by the time you get there. It takes some energy to ride and pay attention.

There was a time when I just got tired of the hassle.

But, yes. It gets in some people's blood!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    (Ha, yeah, holds true for the unmotorized two-wheelers as well)
    Heh, yeah! True. I marvel at the bicyclers that decide to ride on the street, because there's no way I'd do that on something without a motor. Too dangerous.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

TBH, the music is a sketchy topic with motorcycling, and it's definitely one of those "do so at your own personal risk" kind of things. Just like riding a motorcycle in the first place. I keep the volume on the low side and hit the pause button the moment I know or detect I need utmost heightened attention. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of knowing that ahead of time, and that's where music becomes a problem.

Wearing earplugs (w/o music), OTOH, is pretty much mandatory if you're going above 45MPH. It will seriously degrade your hearing if you don't wear them. When I first started riding I tried my daily commute a few times without earplugs, and I had concert-ear for 3 days afterward. You need to make sure the plugs aren't *too* effective (to the point that you can't hear cars coming up from behind) but they need to protect well enough. Around 20dB is ideal for me. 30dB makes me feel like I'm in an isolated bubble but ~10-15dB still hurts after 2 hours worth of riding.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Wearing earplugs (w/o music), OTOH, is pretty much mandatory if you're going above 45MPH. It will seriously degrade your hearing if you don't wear them. When I first started riding I tried my daily commute a few times without earplugs, and I had concert-ear for 3 days afterward. You need to make sure the plugs aren't *too* effective (to the point that you can't hear cars coming up from behind) but they need to protect well enough. Around 20dB is ideal for me. 30dB makes me feel like I'm in an isolated bubble but ~10-15dB still hurts after 2 hours worth of riding.
    The earplugs are great. I have a big bag of them. They really are necessary, you're right. Especially if you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding. There are several bike catalogs that sell earplugs at the right decibel rating.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Pink and I both ride. What sort of bike are you looking for?
    You two just got even hotter!

Like others have mentioned, start smaller till you're comfortable. Go test ride different bikes, when it feels right it just feels right.

MBTI
    ISTP

I just finished fixing up a 1980 Honda CM400T that had been sitting for 4 years. Nice bike, changed the sprocket on it so that it cruises on the highway at a lower RPM (lost a little bit of acceleration, but it's got plenty). I want to get new tires though before I trust it for more than a ride around the block, as rubber degrades over time, and these are 11 years old.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I just finished fixing up a 1980 Honda CM400T that had been sitting for 4 years. Nice bike, changed the sprocket on it so that it cruises on the highway at a lower RPM (lost a little bit of acceleration, but it's got plenty). I want to get new tires though before I trust it for more than a ride around the block, as rubber degrades over time, and these are 11 years old.
    very cool!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so