• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tattoos are a form of mental illness

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The conclusion from the article you posted:

It's way more nuanced than what you're stating.

It depends on the psychiatrist. But that person's going to be in the psychiatrist's office for a good reason anyway. Tats don't tell what kind of cray-cray it is, only that it exists. A teardrop tattoo typically symbolizes something like rape or murder, committed either by or against the person with the tattoo, and it nearly always (if not always) indicates that the person has been in prison. Gangster tat indicates that the person has a desire to live an anti-societal lifestyle, although it may have been in the past.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends on the psychiatrist. But that person's going to be in the psychiatrist's office for a good reason anyway. Tats don't tell what kind of cray-cray it is, only that it exists. A teardrop tattoo typically symbolizes something like rape or murder, committed either by or against the person with the tattoo, and it nearly always (if not always) indicates that the person has been in prison. Gangster tat indicates that the person has a desire to live an anti-societal lifestyle, although it may have been in the past.

Huh, sometimes the way you respond makes me almost think that you can read and understand words. *shrug*

Mole

Permabanned
Rather than tattoos being a form of mental illness, tattoos are tactile.

Our largest organ is our skin, it covers us from head to toe, and our beautiful skin gives us the sense of tactility, that is, our sense of touch.

Our eyes give us our sense of sight, our ears give us our sense of hearing, our nose gives us our sense of smell, our muscles give us our proprioceptive sense, our sense of movement, and our skin gives us our sense of touch.

Literacy privileges our sense of sight, our visual sense, while the electronic media democratise all our senses, and tattooing is part of the democratising of our senses, particularly liberating our sense of touch.

We are touched by tattoos in both senses of the word: in that we are literally touched by the tattooist who leaves a permanent reminder of their touch, and also we are touched emotionally by our tattoos.

We want to touch and be touched, and tattoos are a permanent reminder we have been touched, and our tattoos touch us emotionally and fascinate us.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Rather than tattoos being a form of mental illness, tattoos are tactile.

Our largest organ is our skin, it covers us from head to toe, and our beautiful skin gives us the sense of tactility, that is, our sense of touch.

Our eyes give us our sense of sight, our ears give us our sense of hearing, our nose gives us our sense of smell, our muscles give us our proprioceptive sense, our sense of movement, and our skin gives us our sense of touch.

Literacy privileges our sense of sight, our visual sense, while the electronic media democratise all our senses, and tattooing is part of the democratising of our senses, particularly liberating our sense of touch.

We are touched by tattoos in both senses of the word: in that we are literally touched by the tattooist who leaves a permanent reminder of their touch, and also we are touched emotionally by our tattoos.

We want to touch and be touched, and tattoos are a permanent reminder we have been touched, and our tattoos touch us emotionally and fascinate us.

This was really quite poetic. I appreciate this, though I have none myself, I have considered it. This is a wonderful analogy. (If I'm using analogy correctly?) Anyway, thanks Mole.
8b1b3cf542a7395806c39a48c4b619b5.jpg

Little_Sticks

I've been wanting to get some tattoos for awhile now. Something like this would be really beautiful and meaningful. I don't think it reflects mental illness, but constant death and rebirth.

This is beautiful too. Adds a nice touch of the feminine with the beauty of a flower and the serenity of nature.

I do want something that represents chaos without being overly grim or satanic or plain, but I can't find anything to my liking. Maybe a nice heart on the top of my butt cheek too. :blush: