• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tattoos are a form of mental illness

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To me tattoos are not a sign of mental illness. It depends on your concept of mental illness as i suppose wanting to disfigure your body with sharp needles would make one a mentally ill self harmer but on the other hand art and decoration of the body is something we humans have been smart enough to invent starting with clothes.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Guys. He may be right. I did some searching and this popped up...case closed guys.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Guys. He may be right. I did some searching and this popped up...

This reminds me of this TV tropehttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlerAteSugar. Basically if you are Austrian living in Germany, have a tattoo, have black hair and blue eyes, e.t.c then you are evil according to the Hitler ate Sugar fallacy. There is something unnerving to me about marking your body as i am one who would get depressed over my old unmarked body plus to me there is no real logic when i can if i desire to be artistic do a painting or write a book as both have more potential impact and ideas than tattoos.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This reminds me of this TV tropehttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlerAteSugar. Basically if you are Austrian living in Germany, have a tattoo, have black hair and blue eyes, e.t.c then you are evil according to the Hitler ate Sugar fallacy. There is something unnerving to me about marking your body as i am one who would get depressed over my old unmarked body plus to me there is no real logic when i can if i desire to be artistic do a painting or write a book as both have more potential impact and ideas than tattoos.

I don't know about the first half of your post. But what about the scars on your heart that you carry around...those are more permanent than any ink on skin...

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't know about the first half of your post. But what about the scars on your heart that you carry around...those are more permanent than any ink on skin...

I see the discussion of physical vs mental scarring. Id take a tattoo over a severe traumatic experience. Or are you referring to literal heart scarring. If i get a tattoo ill have both the ink on sink and the scars on my heart :happy2:.. What if they tattoo your heart :shocking:. On a more metaphorical level i suppose we all have tatttoos done on our hearts through our lives.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see the discussion of physical vs mental scarring. Id take a tattoo over a severe traumatic experience. Or are you referring to literal heart scarring. If i get a tattoo ill have both the ink on sink and the scars on my heart :happy2:.. What if they tattoo your heart :shocking:. On a more metaphorical level i suppose we all have tatttoos done on our hearts through our lives.

giphy.gif

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Like everyone else here said, tattoos have nothing to do with mental illness. They are just a part of current mainstream culture. Just like the various trends that came and went throughout history. Many people from young adults to their grandma have them. I don't have any myself, but I can appreciate the different ways people express themselves. Maybe I'll get one in the future on a spontaneous whim one day. :wink:

But tattoos are anything but new, culturally speaking...

I am so confused by this entire thread. I though it was a joke at first but there are so many of you who apparently correlate tattoos to mental illness. I don't have any (yet), but I find them incredibly sexy on men and may even get my first in a few months.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tattoos
"As a resident, I learned that tattoos and sociopaths often occurred together. The more tattoos, the more likely a diagnosis of psychopathic personality became. The words love and hate, I understood, applied to the fingers, H-A-T-E on the left hand, L-O-V-E on the right, were essentially pathognomonic [a sign] of sociopathy. I have believed this for more than 20 years, but after a trip to Greece began to wonder what those patients used in languages where the words did not use four letters. So I decided to write a review, and try to find out."

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tattoos
"As a resident, I learned that tattoos and sociopaths often occurred together. The more tattoos, the more likely a diagnosis of psychopathic personality became. The words love and hate, I understood, applied to the fingers, H-A-T-E on the left hand, L-O-V-E on the right, were essentially pathognomonic [a sign] of sociopathy. I have believed this for more than 20 years, but after a trip to Greece began to wonder what those patients used in languages where the words did not use four letters. So I decided to write a review, and try to find out."

So this is about specific tattoos. Love and hate on both hands.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this is about specific tattoos. Love and hate on both hands.

Those fingers also had "lets fuck" tattooed on them. But no, it's about decorative tattoos as contrasted with (usually) medical tattoos.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"In the hospital population, two attitudes became evident: that of the schizophrenics who, in their feelings about the tattoo, reiterate primitive attitudes as to its magical significance and potency and at the same time express their estrangement from the normal world: and that of the personality disorder patients, whose tattoos express inner conflicts and satisfy inner needs and, evaluated as a social phenomenon, signify another deviation from the mores of our culture."

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does this study show how many people have tattoos? (Gen pop). Then show a discrepancy between the people in gen pop who are tatted that don't have sociopathic tendencies vs those that do? I don't feel like reading. Lazy. I know. Probably a sign of lycanthropy.

Since those that do have more risk taking behavior and less adversion to risk is a trait in sociopathy, then what is the point of this thread? Other than sloppy intent to correlate causation from tattoos as the foundation? I don't know.

Tattoos are not in the DSVM as a guideline for anti-social personality.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you dye your hair you are likely in the same category as those who have decorative tats.

Mole

Permabanned
If you dye your hair you are likely in the same category as those who have decorative tats.

Let me confess to you, I don't dye my hair rather I pigment my hair, but I pigment my hair with ultraviolet. Ultraviolet is invisible but gives me a silver shine.

But tattoos are anything but new, culturally speaking...

What I meant was in more recent years, as before they were usually a part of subcultures from navy sailors, bikers, hippies, punks and of course various other foreign cultures. It didn't really become a part of mainstream American culture until the 1990s, and that was when the rebellious nature of tattoos started to decline because it became less taboo.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I meant was in more recent years, as before they were usually a part of subcultures from navy sailors, bikers, hippies, punks and of course various other foreign cultures. It didn't really become a part of mainstream American culture until the 1990s, and that was when the rebellious nature of tattoos started to decline because it became less taboo.

Tattoos are mainstream? Do tell...