• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tattoos are a form of mental illness

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
A tattoo is a permanent mark of temporary insanity

At least it used to be, until laser tattoo removal.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
That tattoos may indicate a person of low nurosis seems reasonable. A excessively low nurosis can lead to all sorts of bad discion making because such people don't worry about the consequences of there actions.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I planned on getting a tattoo for over a decade so... I doubt that makes me much of a risk taker, huh? :laugh:

Last edited:

Kito

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w5
Then I've never been happier to be mentally ill.

I got tattoos because I knew they'd look sick and increase my self-confidence. No regrets bby <3

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well, troll-o-meter going off aside..

We're completely invalidating 3 things here.

- That whole cultures use tattoos in their everyday lives (Like tribes that think when you tattoo your body, it helps create unique identifiers for your soul so you can see each other when you die) that are linked to culture vs individualism.

- That there's a vicious cycle that non-tattooed and generally older/aging generations see tattoos and immediately think they're bad people or unprofessional somehow. It's easy to just say "Oh, they're young and dumb" when they see someone with a tattoo, or to find someone intimidating if they have full body tattoos despite behavior being exhibited.. non-tatted people that are batshit crazy come through my psych floor all the time, and I've seen people tatted from the neck down that are perfectly upstanding members of society..

- That tattoos have a wiiiide range of variety.. Some are for art, some are for markers, some are for emotional significance, and some are for symbols that directly correlate to their lives.. I somehow doubt the Christian lady at my work that got her son's handprint on her back is on par with a gangster tattooing a tear drop on his eye.

These studies are not gauging the TYPE of tattoo gotten, WHEN it was bought, and the motivations BEHIND the tattoos when they're making these studies. So, the generalizations on them are vague and inaccurate at best. And that's IF these were well constructed studies... You can get a study on pubmed and have very serious flaws in your research that creates research bias from the start.

So... I'd take everything you're reading here with a grain of salt.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ummm... where the hell did this come from? :shock:

also [MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] ... don't tattoo your soles... they don't last very well and it tickles like crazy!

i'd probably kick the tattoo artist cuz thats what happens when you tickle my soles.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The title of this thread doesn't even make grammatical sense. Unless you can get diagnosed with tattoos...

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The term was popularised in United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't find tattoos attractive. The human body is a mechanical work of art which lends itself to natural aesthetic beauty. Having some stoner carve a crude picture into it is like having a toddler finger-paint over a van gogh. Yes, I know it's your toddler, and therefore somehow special. But in the words of Bill Hicks, "I'm just trying to tell you...that it's not."

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I don't find tattoos attractive. The human body is a mechanical work of art which lends itself to natural aesthetic beauty. Having some stoner carve a crude picture into it is like having a toddler finger-paint over a van gogh.

I found your wording very pleasantly unique:wubbie:. Also that I find I both agree and disagree with you:unsure: Also I really like your avatar, it makes me feel something familiar and yet hard to pin down. I also like Van Gogh

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They're not my thing personally but I don't care if others wish to express themselves with tattoos/piercings. Done to excess, like anything else, can be indicative of risk taking at an unhealthy level. But to say tats = mental illness, well that's just stupid.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tattoos are fine so long as they are given purpose. Given meaning. I find it a bit unwise to tattoo lots of simplistic "funny" designs all over like plenty do. Meaning is valuable for a depth of expression. As for the quantity, It can be art. It can be beautiful. I find the beauty of skin more appealing that I don't wish the tattoos to completely overwhelm it, though. So I have limits.

Tattoos all depends but can be useful. I even have an interest in getting some but with meaning.

Tattoos however are by no means indicators of a mental illness so much as simple self expression of personal taste.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
some people get tattoos, no big deal

some people like me don't, no big deal

unless someone hold's you down and tattoos you against your will it's not any of your business or right to judge someone for having a tattoo. nor is it right for if you want a tattoo someone to prevent you from getting one. also if you have don't judge people who don't.

tattoos have jack shit to do with mental illness.

Like everyone else here said, tattoos have nothing to do with mental illness. They are just a part of current mainstream culture. Just like the various trends that came and went throughout history. Many people from young adults to their grandma have them. I don't have any myself, but I can appreciate the different ways people express themselves. Maybe I'll get one in the future on a spontaneous whim one day. :wink:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like everyone else here said, tattoos have nothing to do with mental illness.

giphy.gif

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cure me pls! Or maybe I am beyond cured fuck up

hjgbujhghg

I am