• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

5-boxing wow rocks

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've tested it briefly with all the classes, at least to level 5-10, or 1 hour :D

Now I got 5 x lvl 52 hunters with recruit-a-friend bonus for all. I've played them 5 full days, mostly 8 hours a day when i worked part time, and more recently, 1-2 hours a day now that I've worked 2 shifts in a day. It's just pretty awesome.

Could've done it in 2 days, but there was lot of learning to do, plus I've spent time in auction house and the BGs. I'll get these to level 60 first, grant levels to make one lvl 60 character instantly, and raise one character from 1 to 30, or 30 to 60.

Some ENFP did a convincing job to persuade me into this with one post. A month ago, I was illegally botting my chars .. this seems more fun, just as he/she predicted :D I forgot if it was a guy or a gal. Anyway, cheers to ENFP :cheers:

This is fun :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Every time I think I've seen the most confusing post on this forum, someone comes along and tops it. I have no idea what any of that means. Congratulations. :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Every time I think I've seen the most confusing post on this forum, someone comes along and tops it. I have no idea what any of that means. Congratulations. :)
Haha, as someone who thinks he's a capable person to explain stuff, I'll go ahead. Tell me how I did it :D

WoW, or World of Warcraft, is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. It means that a great number of people play the same game world on the internet, each of them playing a "role" or a character that develops over time, gaining abilities and enjoying a lot of different kinds of interaction with other characters, some goal-orientated, some social.

5-boxing is a way to play more than one character at a time, which is the default. Usually people control one character at a time with a computer, mouse and a keyboard. With some technical arrangements, planning, setting up, skill and additional purchased accounts, this number can be increased to practically anything possible. 2,3,4 and 5 are the most common. Technical arrangements include multiple computers, software to control multiple keyboards/mice from one keyboard/mice, and hardware to use one computer display to show the graphics from multiple game instances at once.

Refer-a-friend bonus is an arrangement made by the game developer, where a player may invite "another" player to the game, increasing the in-game rewards for both the players. These increased rewards may be achieved even if the one doing the invitation is the same as the one receiving it, as long as they are done from different game accounts. So, one person may enjoy these greatly increased rewards from gameplay just by inviting their own accounts to the game.

So, did I explain well? :D

p.s.
this is outside the game, but I've worked 60hrs a week (2 shifts) as a telephone interviewer to pay some sudden bills I've got. It's been a heavy job :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
How did you manage the multi-boxing? I mean, I've done 2 before, and found that pretty difficult (druid/hunter too, which I round relatively easy - although priest/rogue was probably the easiest).

I can't imagine doing 5 boxing!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, Santtu, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out if you were talking about a boxing video game or what.

punchout1.png

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've tested all the one-class groups (all warlock, all mage, all rogue, etc) and it's relatively easy. At the easiest level there's one leader who sets up targets, with tab, or by clicking manually. Other accounts are set up to target whatever the leader is targeting. So, they have a lot of macros set up like ..

/target party1target
/cast fireball

and such.

They also have a macro

/follow party1

Which makes them follow the leader.

All of this requires a software to duplicate keypresses to all the accounts. I use keyclone, which is set up on all the computers with WoW game instances I run. For example, when I press 1, everyone attacks the monster my leader is targeting with their best spell.

At a much more advanced level, I use a home-made script running on Windows to distribute key bindings and macros to multiple computers on my small network. I can use even 5 different classes on a same party. I just assign certain kinds of spells to the same keypress, and make them all do the action at once. For example, if key 2 is a damage spell button, I make the priest do shadow word:pain, the shaman do lightning bolt, etc. If the key 3 is the heal, I make each of the healer classes do their heal.

Sometimes I have to make the different classes do their thing on a rotating basis. Then a spellsequence macro comes handy; I make my 2 healers do a sequence of 2 of heals, one of them doing a sequence of (nothing, healing wave) and another do a sequence of (flash heal, nothing). This has to be set up in both the key duplicating software and the macros of the individual characters.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Sometimes I have to make the different classes do their thing on a rotating basis. Then a spellsequence macro comes handy; I make my 2 healers do a sequence of 2 of heals, one of them doing a sequence of (nothing, healing wave) and another do a sequence of (flash heal, nothing). This has to be set up in both the key duplicating software and the macros of the individual characters.

That makes a lot of sense. Pretty hardcore!

The only question I have - I'm assuming this doesn't pull information at all from the game (game state). So healing, etc, isn't smart (ie: at (x%) heal), as it did with multi-botting.

If not, then that's a pretty awesome system to do. I'd probably enjoy setting up the system more than playing it o_O

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That makes a lot of sense. Pretty hardcore!

The only question I have - I'm assuming this doesn't pull information at all from the game (game state). So healing, etc, isn't smart (ie: at (x%) heal), as it did with multi-botting.

If not, then that's a pretty awesome system to do. I'd probably enjoy setting up the system more than playing it o_O
Haha, I know you would. I like the setting-up phase awesomely, too! :D The Blizzard WoW API prevents from initiating or modifying any spells by any variables, including the game state.

It's more interesting to alter them by the game state (botting) but masking them as something else. Ya'know, you can program your own custom bots in at least one popular botting software :)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Haha, I know you would. I like the setting-up phase awesomely, too! :D The Blizzard WoW API prevents from initiating or modifying any spells by any variables, including the game state.

It's more interesting to alter them by the game state (botting) but masking them as something else. Ya'know, you can program your own custom bots in at least one popular botting software :)

Botting I've done a fair bit of, but multi-boxing always seemed... boring... to me. But I've never thought of doing 5! Holy crap :D

I've been out of it for a long time now though, and from what I last heard, Warden was getting very difficult to overcome... ah well :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uhh I said spells can't be modified by anything in the game state. that's oversimplification. THe game defines some methods; for example, you can do a spell on a target, and check whether it's friendly or hostile, and do an appropriate spell. For example,

/cast [harm] lightning bolt [help] healing wave

but you can only use the built-in features. It's been made impossible to cast a different size of heal based on how much healing the target needs, for example. Altho, there are methods to bypass those preventions.. :D

exaltedfaith

So far I am just managing trying to box two characters at the moment... getting harder as one is resto druid, and one Enh shaman. Computer isn't the best so hard to keep two windows running without a lot of lag. Any suggestions or tips?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Control the tanking character (enh shaman) with your mouse, with your eyes on the tank. Associate easy-to-use general helping keys for the resto druid, who follows you. Occasionally the druid might draw aggro, so make a quick button for the druid to HoT himself, or do something else helpful. Make macros to heal your tank (shaman) by name, and to restore your killing target after. The druid should do moonfire and other spells to dps, but occasionally throw the heal.

The shaman and the druid should kill the same target; there is some lag between you changing the target with your lead character (shaman) and for the follower to recognize the changed target. In any case, there's no need for the druid to almost ever target any other monster than the one your tank is targeting; so you can make all the druid damage and harmful spells of the form,

/cast moonfire at party1target

where the party1 refers to shaman, and party1target to his target.

Make the same keys for both of them to drink, eat and sit.

Use software to copy the keypresses from one keyboard to both windows. Keyclone costs 20$ per copy and does a decent job. I heard there are free alternatives.

Put minimal graphics settings on both of your windows, but have them at least at 600x480 or so. There's no such option available; the smallest is 800x600. Still, the game gets faster if you enable resizing, and manually drag the window to a smaller size. I would never recommend using the main view at anything less then 800x600, though. You can disable the sound from the secondary game for slight speed boost.

I'd advise to spend most of the visible button slots for your shaman's abilities, and less for the druid, with a ratio of 1/3 or so. You can combine some similar kinds of actions for the same buttons, saving space and making it easier to work.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
5-boxing ? uff, I play Mech Commander 2 besides the MBTI forum, but that's about it :D

Nicely done, I am still having the feeling that you are the missing estp on this forum :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've had to struggle with my sensory ability to get it close to my intuition.. I've forced myself to focus more on S for some time now. It's more because I want results, less so because my love of S. But, but.. I like it more now that I use it more, and I "think with my feet" a lot more now. I like how it works for more, but I still feel a bit more N.

Recently, I'd say for a year or a half, I've felt a decline in my creativeness and intuition. It doesn't show up in MBTI tests tho, but I haven't liked the development. I'm yearning to devote a lot time to nourish my intuition and creativity again; I want to do stuff like financial analysis software, painting, photography, and to devote more of my time to spontaneous creative stuff, like designing a video game level modeled from my neighborhood, or doing some comedy (I wish I could do the latter in forms other than improvisation).

I'm approaching 31 - Si, Se are supposed to start developing more at my age for an ENTP.

If my spelling / grammar seems incoherent.. or it has seemed so in the last few weeks.. it's because I've been a bit tired for working 50-60hrs/week. Just 4 weeks more of this and I've payed my credit card bills completely, and saved a few euros in the bank, too.. yay!