• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is it with you INTJ's and anime?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So many of you have anime avatars. I just don't get it. It seems like anime should be an F thing. There has to be something I'm missing, because I'm only one function away from being an INTJ and the anime I've seen pretty much just seemed stupid.

Is it because - being not human yourselves - you relate better to anime characters?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Damn, your friends could have soooo much fun with that! ^

redacted

It's the Ni dominance, not the Thinking.

Plus, INTPs are not just one function away from INTJs.

Also, I doubt very many INTJs are into it. Not very many people are.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Um...why does it seem like "anime should be an F thing"? What is particularly F about liking anime that couldn't also be applied to the enjoyment of any other form of art, music or literature?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Why does anime have to be so bad? *deflects blows* I mean, most of it. I don't care how a story is presented, live action, odd animation, whatever, but most of them are like soap operas with guns.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate anime. It hurts my eyes. But it it were live-action, then I'd watch it -- take Speed Racer, for example.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
A wild guess is because anime is a lot of sludge that needs wading through to get to the good part. Dominant Ni types are perfectly willing to do this if they like what 'good' they find, even if they are aware of the painfully obvious flaws.

So... there are a lot of things like this. It can get uncomfortable when you only meet people who absolutely hate it and love it indiscriminately, though.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*shrug* Like everything else, there's good ones and bad ones. And enough different ones to appeal to all sorts of different types. (The ESFP-shounen hero going on a enthusiastic journey to become the best ___ has the most esposure to the general public, I think, and possibly is what turns off a lot of people in this thread?)

Anime-cons, on the other hand, only appeal to about four types: 1) crazy fan-girls; 2) crazy fan-boys; 3) Comic Book Guys (who come in sole hope of complaining in great detail with fellow comic-book-guy's while in line for something. :smile: These showdowns to determine who can reference more obscurely are quite entertaining, so they serve a purpose.); 4. attention whores

A few good ones off the top of my head:

Great Teacher Onizuka- an ENFP gangster tries to become a great teacher through his unorthodox methods and despite his students trying to sabotage him at every turn
Escaflowne- A very INFX fantasy-adventure about a girl who gets involved in a war on another planet, due to her powers of premonition.:wubbie:

I should put something action-y here to round out the trio nicely, but I don't really watch any, so Gurren Lagann? It's a very popular action show- great animation. A little too boob-happy for my tastes.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I should put something action-y here to round out the trio nicely, but I don't really watch any, so Gurren Lagann? It's a very popular action show- great animation. A little too boob-happy for my tastes.

Boob-happy indeed, but from what I've seen of it I've liked. The tone of it is wonderful.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't get anime, either. I'm just not a fan of the style of animation. And even when I was a kid, I felt shortchanged by the animated shows that weren't funny. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most are bad, some are good. Like everything else. I think people, both fans and critics, try way too hard to make it seem like anime is more different or unique than it really is.

Also, I don't have even the slightest clue how anime would be an F thing, and it generally seems stupid to try attributing such work to a function.