• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Civilization 6

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Civ 6 is coming out this Friday (10/21)

Is anyone else here going to play it?

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I probably wont be playing it at release, but i've been taking an interest in its production. I love the effort they've put in this time around to differentiate the different nations.

They've picked the most stereotypically imperious of British/English leaders (faction should really be called Britain not England for this period)

I loved playing sea-based empires in Civ V, so the British royal navy dock yard sounds awesome to me. Time for good old fashioned morally questionable colonialism. :happy2:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I first played Civ in 92 and have wasted way too much time on it.

I don't know if I will get the latest version...

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trailer is out. Surprisingly utopian in tone even for Civ.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Civ 6 is coming out this Friday (10/21)

Is anyone else here going to play it?

I thought u meant what would a level 6 civilization be. But alas.
Cool about civ 6 though. Civ 5 was kind of an odd ball. I usually love sci-fi concepts but it was just lacking in the series usual depth

- - - Updated - - -

Can I play as the Byzantines?

No, but you can go play in your room

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Played 5 and liked it, but once it started getting to around 1900, the turns would take too long and I'd lose interest lol. May play 6 if I get a better computer.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought u meant what would a level 6 civilization be. But alas.
Cool about civ 6 though. Civ 5 was kind of an odd ball. I usually love sci-fi concepts but it was just lacking in the series usual depth

- - - Updated - - -

No, but you can go play in your room

Based on what I've seen so far this is going back to core Civ concepts without too much of the cheesy Sci-Fi stuff. They've also added some really cool shit. I never played much of Civ 5 but I was very into Civ 4 and all its expansions.

a) Cities are more spread out now and instead of everything being built in the city center there are now districts. Districts consume a title within the radius of the city and there are a total of four or five districts you can build. A lot of buildings are built in the districts themselves and only available to build once the district has been constructed. Civs with special unique districts do not count against the district cap and build in half the time such as the Russian Lavra replacing the holy site district. This is a great addition because it forces you to think more about tile placement and allows for better synergy potential since districts exclude the tile from being improved by builders like in traditional civ games.

b) There are two trees to progress your Civ instead of just the standard technology tree. We still get technology fueled by science research but now also "Civics" are now a government and policy progression tree and influenced by culture instead of science as in the technology tree. Civics allow the unlocking of certain government types ( Monarchy, Oligarchy, Democracy, etc.) and unlock policies which each government type allows. There are separate policies like Military, Diplomatic, and Economic. You can pick and chose which policies you want and they can be changed out any time there is a new policy or government learned. I love this addition because you don't have to take an awkward route in your tech tree trying to get some government policy. You can research both at the same.

c) Workers are now builders. They do the same traditional tile improvements but the builders no longer last the whole game (if not killed or captured). Rather, they get 3 charges and then disappear once the charges are consumed. The improvements are completed immediately once the charge is consumed. Some civs get more charges due to unique civ traits like China and more charges can be gained with wonders and other buffs. Builders are not required to make a district but some civs like the Aztecs can consume builder charges to boost production of districts. I love this change because you can get your improvements quicker and you have less idle workers once they are doing doing what you need them to do.

d) City states are much more important this game and gain favor with 'envoys' instead of just throwing gold at them. So you get to save your gold and still can gain city state favor. City states give huge bonuses especially for civs and leaders with traits that like city states like Pericles of Greece. There are different types of city states that cater to either science, faith, trade, culture, or military. This is pretty awesome since city states can boost your weaker aspects while you focus on your strengths.

e) Housing is the new mechanic to control population growth instead of just happiness (which is now amenities). Housing can be acquired many ways but adds another dimension in customizing your cities which I like.

f) Religion is pretty cool. "Faith" also counts as another kind of currency you can purchase most things with. It's much more dynamic than the other civ games and civs/leaders with religious perks really can kick ass.

These are some of the major things done in Civ 5 that I'm really looking forward to. There's more and I'm still looking into it.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Based on what I've seen so far this is going back to core Civ concepts without too much of the cheesy Sci-Fi stuff. They've also added some really cool shit. I never played much of Civ 5 but I was very into Civ 4 and all its expansions.

a) Cities are more spread out now and instead of everything being built in the city center there are now districts. Districts consume a title within the radius of the city and there are a total of four or five districts you can build. A lot of buildings are built in the districts themselves and only available to build once the district has been constructed. Civs with special unique districts do not count against the district cap and build in half the time such as the Russian Lavra replacing the holy site district. This is a great addition because it forces you to think more about tile placement and allows for better synergy potential since districts exclude the tile from being improved by builders like in traditional civ games.

b) There are two trees to progress your Civ instead of just the standard technology tree. We still get technology fueled by science research but now also "Civics" are now a government and policy progression tree and influenced by culture instead of science as in the technology tree. Civics allow the unlocking of certain government types ( Monarchy, Oligarchy, Democracy, etc.) and unlock policies which each government type allows. There are separate policies like Military, Diplomatic, and Economic. You can pick and chose which policies you want and they can be changed out any time there is a new policy or government learned. I love this addition because you don't have to take an awkward route in your tech tree trying to get some government policy. You can research both at the same.

c) Workers are now builders. They do the same traditional tile improvements but the builders no longer last the whole game (if not killed or captured). Rather, they get 3 charges and then disappear once the charges are consumed. The improvements are completed immediately once the charge is consumed. Some civs get more charges due to unique civ traits like China and more charges can be gained with wonders and other buffs. Builders are not required to make a district but some civs like the Aztecs can consume builder charges to boost production of districts. I love this change because you can get your improvements quicker and you have less idle workers once they are doing doing what you need them to do.

d) City states are much more important this game and gain favor with 'envoys' instead of just throwing gold at them. So you get to save your gold and still can gain city state favor. City states give huge bonuses especially for civs and leaders with traits that like city states like Pericles of Greece. There are different types of city states that cater to either science, faith, trade, culture, or military. This is pretty awesome since city states can boost your weaker aspects while you focus on your strengths.

e) Housing is the new mechanic to control population growth instead of just happiness (which is now amenities). Housing can be acquired many ways but adds another dimension in customizing your cities which I like.

f) Religion is pretty cool. "Faith" also counts as another kind of currency you can purchase most things with. It's much more dynamic than the other civ games and civs/leaders with religious perks really can kick ass.

These are some of the major things done in Civ 5 that I'm really looking forward to. There's more and I'm still looking into it.

It'd be cool to have mohammed be playable, I could ironically bring the peace of servitude to the whole planet and crush the infidels. Ah the fun we'd have.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I probably wont be playing it at release, but i've been taking an interest in its production. I love the effort they've put in this time around to differentiate the different nations.

They've picked the most stereotypically imperious of British/English leaders (faction should really be called Britain not England for this period)

I loved playing sea-based empires in Civ V, so the British royal navy dock yard sounds awesome to me. Time for good old fashioned morally questionable colonialism. :happy2:

England's play style under Victoria seems pretty awesome. At first glance it seems strongly geared to a domination victory (units actually get stronger on different continents and suffer little penalties thanks to redcoats and Royal Navy Dockyards. But the special building, the British Museum also sets it up for a good shot at a science or culture victory too. Victoria's policies are expansionist thanks to her unique leader trait but I wonder what kind of leader England's other choice will be? More peaceful, less colonizing?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
It'd be cool to have mohammed be playable, I could ironically bring the peace of servitude to the whole planet and crush the infidels. Ah the fun we'd have.

You can play as Saladin of Arabia who has the 'last prophet' leader trait which basically guarantees Mohammed to found your religion. Saladin and Arabia get a lot of faith and religion perks so yep, you can convert the infidels and win. (I'm going to try that)

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You can play as Saladin of Arabia who has the 'last prophet' leader trait which basically guarantees Mohammed to found your religion. Saladin and Arabia get a lot of faith and religion perks so yep, you can convert the infidels and win. (I'm going to try that)

Yeah the Arabian civ game seems like fun. Like the Madrasa (the mind washing centers) produces more science than the university : D (despite historically having produced little to nothing except from getting discoveries from invaded civilizations).

Can you take the technologies of civilizations you conquer ?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

Mohammed might be playable with a mod. The devs said Civ 6 will be open to the mod community. However, he's already a 'Great Person' (Great Prophet) in the game so I doubt they'll make him a leader.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Mohammed might be playable with a mod. The devs said Civ 6 will be open to the mod community. However, he's already a 'Great Person' (Great Prophet) in the game so I doubt they'll make him a leader.

Well if they did you'd see protests over the world etc. so. yeah.
I'll play him anyway.

if I recall in past games I liked the greek civilization, you'd get hoplites. Or anyway I'd like to play with civs allowing for fast early expansion so I'd get several occupied cities early in the game.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah the Arabian civ game seems like fun. Like the Madrasa (the mind washing centers) produces more science than the university : D (despite historically having produced little to nothing except from getting discoveries from invaded civilizations).

Can you take the technologies of civilizations you conquer ?

Yeah but the Madrasa plays into the historical aspect too. There was a 'golden age' in the Arabic world where they were putting out more science than Europe or just about anywhere else in the world. Eventually they fell behind but they did have a couple centuries of progress. Going along with history Madrasa's get a faith bonus based on how the campus district is placed. This gears Saladin and Arabia for a science or religious victory depending on what you focus on stronger.

I don't know if you can outright take their technology but you can take their shit that the technology has built and get the benefit of the yield. There is espionage in this game so tech can also be stolen like in Civ 4. (Looks like Catherine de Medici of France will be the 'spy civ'). Certain leaders like Peter the Great (Russia) get a weird bonus where they get extra science or culture by establishing trade routes with more advanced civs and that seems like a real fun mechanic to play with.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well if they did you'd see protests over the world etc. so. yeah.
I'll play him anyway.

if I recall in past games I liked the greek civilization, you'd get hoplites. Or anyway I'd like to play with civs allowing for fast early expansion so I'd get several occupied cities early in the game.

As a 'great prophet' Mohammed's face can be hooded like a sith or jedi so....But yeah we gotta be careful that these wonderful people Europe is importing by the thousands don't get pissed and burn something down or kill people over a game (which might be worse than a cartoon).

Greeks in this game have two leaders , Pericles and Gorgo. Pericles is the more peaceful of the two and has perks in diplomacy and culture...especially with city states. Gorgo is Sparta. She's a bad ass. Her perks give Greece culture every time a Greek unit kills something. Remember in this game culture is just as valuable as science as it advances you in the civics tree giving you better policies to get much better buffs with. Greeks also get an extra wildcard policy that can be anything thanks to their civ trait.

Hoplites are probably the strongest early game unit in the game from what I see. Not only are their base stats good but they get buffed by being adjacent to other hoplites which means placing them strategically instead of 'stacking' is better.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
As a 'great prophet' Mohammed's face can be hooded like a sith or jedi so....But yeah we gotta be careful that these wonderful people Europe is importing by the thousands don't get pissed and burn something down or kill people over a game (which might be worse than a cartoon).

:laugh: yeah I thought of the Sith Prophet too :laugh:
they could have a subtitle like "a prophet of light, shrouded in shadow"

Btw to have a jedi/sith mod in civ would be amazing :laugh:

Greeks in this game have two leaders , Pericles and Gorgo. Pericles is the more peaceful of the two and has perks in diplomacy and culture...especially with city states. Gorgo is Sparta. She's a bad ass. Her perks give Greece culture every time a Greek unit kills something. Remember in this game culture is just as valuable as science as it advances you in the civics tree giving you better policies to get much better buffs with. Greeks also get an extra wildcard policy that can be anything thanks to their civ trait.

Hoplites are probably the strongest early game unit in the game from what I see. Not only are their base stats good but they get buffed by being adjacent to other hoplites which means placing them strategically instead of 'stacking' is better.
[MENTION=25403]ZNP-TBA[/MENTION]
Yup I might succumb to the temptation of the hoplite early game rush. The Gorgo + hoplite combo should be badass. I mean once you're 4 city states in when most everyone is at 1/2 you're good.
I saw the 'extra policy' thing for greeks, that should help quite a bit in the late game (once you get a few cool policy options)
And any policy that helps with reducing unrest in conquered cities so you can produce / get settlers produced faster and get that empire to go exponential.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION]

The good thing is that early in the game (ancient/classical era) war weariness and war monger penalties are low. But you also have to be smart with who you're attacking. Attacking a defensive Civ like Roosevelt (America) on their home continent will be tougher or attacking Gandhi (India) who will place a higher war weariness penalty on you can really harm your growth and production.

If you can find a city state, especially one with useful resources, that can help with some of the draw backs.

I really want to play the Spanish. I like spreading religion like crack and 'faith' points in this game are very valuable and function as an alternative currency.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION]

The good thing is that early in the game (ancient/classical era) war weariness and war monger penalties are low. But you also have to be smart with who you're attacking. Attacking a defensive Civ like Roosevelt (America) on their home continent will be tougher or attacking Gandhi (India) who will place a higher war weariness penalty on you can really harm your growth and production.

If you can find a city state, especially one with useful resources, that can help with some of the draw backs.

I really want to play the Spanish. I like spreading religion like crack and 'faith' points in this game are very valuable and function as an alternative currency.

It'd be more fun if you could create your own religion
EcKism - convert or die (ressemblance to any real world religion is purely coincidental)

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
It'd be more fun if you could create your own religion
EcKism - convert or die (ressemblance to any real world religion is purely coincidental)

You can.