User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Opera Music

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I had never heard Andrea Bocelli before now. Seems more "popera" than opera to me, like Charlotte Church.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    Salome rocks my socks off!
    I listened to Strauss's Salome and it's absolutely fantastic! I mean, that opera is SICK! Good stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I had never heard Andrea Bocelli before now. Seems more "popera" than opera to me, like Charlotte Church.
    His music isn't so bad... it's his voice. I'm sure it's phenomenal, but I really really hate it. It sounds like he's moaning all the time. I want full round intensity, yo!

MBTI
    intp

Popera is a good description. Doesn't he sing straight pop as well? I don't think he sticks to the opera genre.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Popera is a good description. Doesn't he sing straight pop as well? I don't think he sticks to the opera genre.
    Everytime I see the word popera, I think "poopera" in my head.

an adult at 22.99726? I think not...

Sniffles

I don't know if I have a particular favorite opera.

As far as composers are concerned, I generally enjoy those from the Baroque period. Off the top of my head, some favorites of mine: Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I don't know if I have a particular favorite opera.

As far as composers are concerned, I generally enjoy those from the Baroque period. Off the top of my head, some favorites of mine: Bach, Handel, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky.
    Sometimes, some sumptuous rich operas get too heavy for me, much like having a large pizza with everything right before bedtime, and I then crave the comparatively gossamer-thin delicate textures of a Baroque opera. Handel's Rodelinda is my favourite of that sub-genre.

MBTI
    GONE

Mo, I'll save you heart ear ache now.

I can't sing. Oh *no*. I'm not being modest here. Can't.

I'm simply shameless.

And voice lessons are just another thing to learn on my never-ending ENFP quest to try things out.

I recommend taking voice lessons to most anyone. Especially opera lovers.

Seriously, I think learning the theory and practice of operatic singing will only enrich your appreciation of it. And give you so many more ways to critique the operas you hear.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I recommend taking voice lessons to most anyone. Especially opera lovers.

Seriously, I think learning the theory and practice of operatic singing will only enrich your appreciation of it. And give you so many more ways to critique the operas you hear.
    I'd love to get voice lessons; I can get a nice (to my ears at least) operatic sound going on some days and it would be great to train it.

MBTI
    INTP

I love Porgy & Bess, so it's not surprising that I also love Leontyne Price.
    A friend of mine was telling me she was at the SF Opera House in the early 80's to see a performance, maybe Samson et Dalila and both principles were out. I think she was saying it was one of those deals where certain talent play Wed, Fri, Sat and the other plays Thurs, Sunday and so the alt fill in was Plcido Domingo. Placido just happened to have a guest in town that w/e, Leontyne Price, who on a moment's notice decided to sing w/her friend and play Dalila. I'm so insanely jealous of her. I saw the performance w/Denyce Graves, who's prolly my current favorite. Though I wouldn't say that's my favorite opera.

I remember seeing after 9/11, Leontyne came out of retirement to sing at some public schools in NYC. Adults were crying. I'm sure the kids were too young to get it.

Opera really has some issues to work out to survive. I'd like to hear a new performer come out and not put Ava Maria or O Mio Babino Caro on her album. Seriously, it's like the labels are a cross between top 40 radio and American Idol. Judge this one based on only 10 songs that you've already heard before.

I've been listening to Anna Netrebko of late. A little Denise De Niese, who always reminds me of Jessica Alba, which I kinda wonder will that help or hurt her? Well obviously help but I wonder if that'll prevent her from getting street cred about her skillz?

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Re: De Niese. She is gorgeous. I will give her that. But I don't think her voice is outstanding in any way. I am not a hater. I just think that she is going places not based on talent.