• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Opera Music

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oh, I don't think I can answer one for each question. Hehe.

Operas.

La Boheme, Manon Lescaut, La Forza del destino, Pagliacci

Composers

Puccini, Verdi, Leoncavallo

Artists

Tucker, del Monaco, Callas, Caballe, Caruso (of course).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Carmen (bit predictable but hey)...
Manon (Lescat... love the story as much as the Opera)

Puccini, Motzart, Beizet

I am not really into the detail of who is singing, obviously some of the more famous make a difference, but for me it's as much about the acting as the singing... some opera singers are pure ham...

I actually prefer ballet....

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love Porgy & Bess, so it's not surprising that I also love Leontyne Price. I hesitate to name a favorite with as little exposure as I have to opera in the big picture, though.
Yay!

Edit - It was Jessye Norman I saw it the lead. I was in the nose-bleed section with the rest of my music history class, but we got to meet her briefly afterward. It was fantastic. The way she moved reminded me of a lioness. Her vocal control and ability to project pianissimo is what I remembered most.

Opera needs to be seen live because it is an integration of all the senses. I don't think I have the mental concentration ability to appreciate Wagner, but I am especially fond of Puccini. I also have a fondness for early opera like Monteverdi and Gluck.

Magdalena Kozena is my favorite mezzo-soprano.

Last edited:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV3F_yNSQwM"]Anna Netrebko[/YOUTUBE] is lovely ...

D

Dali

Yay!

Edit - It was Jessye Norman I saw it the lead. I was in the nose-bleed section with the rest of my music history class, but we got to meet her briefly afterward. It was fantastic.

No way! That is incredible! I think I'd pass out from excitement if I ever did meet her. She's one of my absolute favourites.

The way she moved reminded me of a lioness. Her vocal control and ability to project pianissimo is what I remembered most.

What's especially amazing about her vocal control is the size of the voice. Rarely do you find such a blend of massive vocals and such splendid vocal refinement. Its usually one or the other.

I don't think I have the mental concentration ability to appreciate Wagner, but I am especially fond of Puccini.

Wagner's early operas are more traditional in their structure and more lyric. Lohengrin and The Flying Dutchman make wonderful, accessible intros to his style.

D

Dali

This performance is famous for the beautiful, solid high E-flat, which Callas interpolates towards the end, that soars over the chorus and orchestra.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXkiM9LsD4"]Maria Callas - Triumphal March from Verdi's Aida[/YOUTUBE]

Listen to how the audience can barely contain themselves after that note.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I like Mozart operas. They are elegant, witty and funny but still not superficial. Nineteenth century opera is very beautiful but from a dramatic point of view it's a bit too heavy for me. It takes itself so seriously.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Does operetta count? From G&S, Pirates of Penzance...[YOUTUBE="iSloW2coCDQ"]I am the very model of a modern major-general[/YOUTUBE]

D

Dali

In this excerpt from Gaetano Donizetti's opera Maria Stuarda, Elisabetta (Elizabeth I) mocks, insults and condescends to her prisoner, Maria Stuarda (Mary, Queen of Scots), who then snaps and bawls out the 'heretic usurper'.

*Maria's invective starts at 4:57mins.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mOHVHmsFE&feature=related"]Confrontation Scene from Maria Stuarda[/YOUTUBE]

Figlia impura di Bolena, parli tu di disonore?
Impure daughter of Anne Boleyn, you dare speak of dishonour?

Meretrice indegna oscena, su te cada il mio rossore!
Unworthy, obscene harlot, I can only blush for you!

Profanato è il soglio inglese, vil bastarda, dal tuo piè!
Profaned is the English soil, vile bastard, by your foot!

EDIT: Not historically accurate, of course, but opera rarely is. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's:

1. Your favourite opera
2. Your favourite composer
3. Your favourite artists

Or you could answer just one of the above. I love comparing my favourites with other aficionados!

1) probably Attila
2) Rossini, followed closely by Verdi and Massenet
3) Dame Joan Sutherland, hands down

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Die Zauberflote (favorite for the music and the action, keeps my interest)
2. Mozart (perfection)
3. Fleming, Pav (I really don't think there is a more perfect Tenor), Florez, Te Kanawa, Hvorostovsky, D'arcangelo, Bartoli, Price, Tebaldi, Sills, Sutherland, Moffo, Latonia Moore, Simionato.

CORELLI!!!

D

Dali

1) probably Attila
2) Rossini, followed closely by Verdi and Massenet
3) Dame Joan Sutherland, hands down

Which of Rossini's & Verdi's works do you most enjoy? Personally, I can't get enough of Verdi's Macbeth. Contains one of my favourite fictional characters of all time; the Lady Macbeth. She's so deligthfully evil. :devil:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which of Rossini's & Verdi's works do you most enjoy? Personally, I can't get enough of Verdi's Macbeth. Contains one of my favourite fictional characters of all time; the Lady Macbeth. She's so deligthfully evil. :devil:

Rossini:
- Semiramide
- Maometto Secondo
- Il Barbiere
- l'Italiana in Algeri

Verdi:
- Attila
- Simon Boccanegra
- Rigoletto
- Nabucco
- Lady Macbeth (especially sung by Callas, omg! :laugh: )

overall I like the more dramatic/tragic bel canto the best.

D

Dali

Rossini:
- Semiramide

- Marilyn Horne / Joan Sutherland, right? :D

- Maometto Secondo

Never heard of this one; is it staged nowadays?

- Rigoletto

Saw it live in Europe with a stellar cast. *happy sigh*

- Lady Macbeth (especially sung by Callas, omg! :laugh: )

Indeed! Callas or Shirley Verrett. After those two, I just can't see anyone else in that role. They kick ass and take names. Woah!

overall I like the more dramatic/tragic bel canto the best.

I guess Norma and Lucia di Lammermoor would be right up your alley then?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- Marilyn Horne / Joan Sutherland, right? :D
as a die hard Sutherland fan, you would have been right 99 times out of 100, but in this particular instance, my favorite is June Anderson/Marilyn Horne/Samuel Ramey

Never heard of this one; is it staged nowadays?
:D

Saw it live in Europe with a stellar cast. *happy sigh*
I've only heard recordings. Sutherland/Milnes is my favorite

Indeed! Callas or Shirley Verrett. After those two, I just can't see anyone else in that role. They kick ass and take names. Woah!
:yes:

I guess Norma and Lucia di Lammermoor would be right up your alley then?
YES! along with
- Lucrezia Borgia
- Maria Stuarda
- Beatrice di Tenda
- Ernani

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find myself deeply enjoying this aria. Ramey has a remarkable bel canto technique. And I like how you can 'hear' Rossini throughout the thing. :yes:

that thing that you "hear" is precisely why Rossini is my favorite composer, despite most of my favorite operas being Verdi.