• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good magazines or websites

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Didn't know where to put this.

I have a wide area of interest and like to keep up to date with things, but I don't know of any magazine or website that has this too. So when ever I buy a magazine I buy something different every time. Would be useful if everything was in one place.

If you know of any magazines or good websites would be good to hear of them.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Uhm, I think it's called the Internet....

I'M KIDDING! PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT ON ME LIKE THE OTHER DUDE!:cheese:

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like Wired. I'm not their target audience (white male tech types) but their writing is witty and interesting, and there's always something new and cool to keep up with.

I also read: New York, Experience Life, the New York Times, People and anything hanging around my dentist's office.

file cabinet

I use RSS feeds to keep tabs on what's going in the world. It took me awhile to get used to at first but it simplifies a lot of the manual site visiting.

As an example, here is the RSS feed of Wired:
Wired Top Stories

If I subscribe to it using an RSS reader (e.g., Google Reader), I get to see the headlines and small summaries of their articles. If I like what I see, I can click to view the rest of the article. I'm subscribed to about 100 RSS feeds which allows me to skim through a lot more information then I could before.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
National Geographic- I have a subscription, which of course means I never read it anymore. :yes:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
For music reviews by seemingly "with it" folks: allmusic. Music reviews to me are most useful when determining which record of a specific artist to get, not which artist to look up.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Science News for the win!!!

My father was a subscriber for years, and I have been a subscriber for the past two years. It is an AWESOME magazine, can't get it at newsstands though!

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
For music reviews by seemingly "with it" folks: allmusic. Music reviews to me are most useful when determining which record of a specific artist to get, not which artist to look up.

I've been reading that site's reviews intensively for many years and have accumulated a huge inventory of print-outs from there also. From time to time I'll go through the print-outs and pick out my "gotta have's" from my "wanna have's" ( or try to, anyway ) and then order them.

It's funny how many reviews ( there and elsewhere ) lately focus more on the lyrics and "themes" of a group than they will focus on the actual style of music ! After reading one of these, I'll be scratching my head thinking "Wait a minute - I still don't know if we're talking dance music, or techno-house, or 'classic rock' ( I don't know why, but I hate that latter term ) or what." Apparently that didn't matter much to the reviewer, but it's pretty important to me. Call me "old fashioned" or something. :)

I am also sometimes disappointed in reviews that rave about something being the best thing the reviewer has heard in years, when it seems pretty vanilla to me when I go out and buy it/check it out. Then I ( perhaps wrongly ) assume it must have been written by someone much younger than me that doesn't have a much tradition to compare it to.

* remembers hilarious parody of rock album reviews done by the National Lampoon magazine years ago *

Back on topic - I'll read online mags like "Salon" and "Slate" sometimes. For music, I used to read "Wire" at the newsstand. "Wired", mentioned already in this thread ( different from "Wire" ) is still pretty good sometimes, but has slipped in recent years, IMHO. I read "Rolling Stone" as an early 70's university guy, but I think it absolutely sucks now. There's an image oriented magazine that lets you discover new artists and buy direct from them that I like sometimes. I think it's called "Artist Direct" but I'm not sure.