• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What instrument(s) do you play?

O

Oberon

Hey y'all...

There are so many interesting, vibrant, and talented people who post here, it would be shocking in the extreme if none of you played an instrument or sang.

So I'll go first:

• I play violin, in a fiddlish sort of way, and
  • I have been known to break into song at the least provocation.

I and some friends play a local coffee shop about once a month, with a repertoire that covers some bluegrass standards, a few Cuban guitar pieces (chiefly "Guantanamera") and some folky crap thrown in (John Denver, James Taylor, acoustic Beatles stuff, and so on). And a couple of originals just for fun.

Actually, it's all just for fun.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Can hold my own with a guitar; can hold a beat with drums; can fake my way through bass guitar. I've come up with some melodies on piano, but have very little experience. I also sing!

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I play bass, piano, and bamboo flute all really badly.

Mainly Motown on bass. 'though I want to get an upright to play trad. folk/New Age
Cheesy American soundtrack personal wafflings on the piano in Bb.
I just blow into the bamboo flute until it sounds pretty. Much like life.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Stuff I can play well:
-violin
-flute/piccolo

Stuff I can play decently:
-piano
-fiddle (same as violin, only different style. I do celtic and hungarian fiddling)

Self-taught folk instruments that I think I can play decently but have no way of judging:
-bodhran
-erhu

Last edited:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Learnt violin, cello and piano when I was younger but never really loved 'em than I discovered and fell in love with Bass, haven't looked back since.

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
It's been a few years since I've played, but...

I have eight years of classical training on the clarinet.
I have two years of jazz training on the alto sax.

I played bass clarinet for two years.
I've learned how to play oboe, although I never did it very well.

I also did two years of dancerettes and flag corps.

I don't play anymore. My son and my niece are now playing my clarinets. It's kind of cool, but since I stopped playing, my beginner clarinet has been in near continuous use (from me, to my nephew two years after I stopped playing clarinet for marching season, to my niece immediately after he finished school, and now to my son). I just let my niece start using my orchestra quality instrument last year. Unfortunately, my sax is still in a case and not being touched.

I would like to get another flag for twirling back up here, though. It was a lot of fun and great exercise.

O

Oberon

We could put together a pretty good house band, looks like.

I know Jennifer is a first-rate accompanist on piano and keyboard, and probably could make a fair concert performer if she put in the time to practice.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've played drums since I was about 10 and I guess I sing if I'm inebriated/alone in my car. :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I took six years of piano as a boy, and got a guitar at 13. I am no good at either, but I can make quite the racket. And I have a good singing voice and range, but I need lessons on pitch and key.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know Jennifer is a first-rate accompanist on piano and keyboard, and probably could make a fair concert performer if she put in the time to practice.

Fat chance of THAT happening (based purely on my historical precedent). :)

But a house band could easily be in the works. I like playing by ear anyway. (cuz, um, I don't need to practice, nor do I have to play what's on the page! :blush:)

I dabble in lots of things, although officially I played clarinet, oboe, xylophone, and pipe organ.

....A little birdy told me that Nocaps also has some musical skill.

O

Oberon

One of the fun things I like to do with my fiddle is play stuff that isn't ordinarily played on fiddle. For example, I can play the guitar riff from Southern Culture On the Skids' "Camel Walk." Or, when my group plays Clapton's acoustic "Layla" or "You Look Wonderful Tonight," I play the signature electric guitar part.

I can also do a fair "Jump" by Van Halen (on double stops), as long as we stay away from Eddie's big solo. :D

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I can play the guitar pretty well.

I can fake it on:
- Piano
- Mandolin
- Banjo
- Bass Guitar
- Bass Fiddle (plucked bluegrass-style, no bow)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
One of the fun things I like to do with my fiddle is play stuff that isn't ordinarily played on fiddle. For example, I can play the guitar riff from Southern Culture On the Skids' "Camel Walk." Or, when my group plays Clapton's acoustic "Layla" or "You Look Wonderful Tonight," I play the signature electric guitar part.

I can also do a fair "Jump" by Van Halen (on double stops), as long as we stay away from Eddie's big solo. :D

Very cool, Oberon! I'd like to see that! Did you see this video? YouTube - ALEX DEPUE DAZZLES OPEN MIC NIGHT (MySpace.com/alexdepue)

I play piano well, and I took up guitar six years ago. I'm working hard, b/c I want to be good on guitar. I can fake bass and cello. I really want to learn some stuff on mandolin, like Battle of Evermore. I'd love to be able to play violin, but I feel like a big-time klutz when I attempt to learn.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bass horribly, don't think guitar-like instruments are for me (not right now anyway). Trying out drums soon (getting an electronic kit) as I always find myself beating out rhythms against my (desk/car door/steering wheel/shifter/floorboard of my scooter/etc.) while listening to music anyhow.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've been playing guitar for five years. I don't know how good I am compared to the musicians here who sound like they've been playing longer than I have, but I think I can confidently say I'm at least good on both rythem and lead for my age. I play a lot of different stuff, from sort of country/bluegrass to bop to rockabilly and other stuff. I can do improv pretty well, too. I play electric and acoustic guitar.

Anyone got any recordings?

I can also play bass fairly ok. I sort of do bass solos more then actual bassplaying (althugh I've been told my bass solos are pretty good for pure improvisation), but I think if I was to try to actually play a baseline I could do a decent job, but for the most part my bassplaying is screwing around. I'm kind of ok at drums and harmonica, and I used to play piano when I was like 10 but stopped.

By the way, it's my goal to be able to write very good songs and possibly profesionally record them by the time I'm 25, but I'm going to aim for an earlier age if I can, but no rush.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Anyone got any recordings?

I have a recording of me playing drums to a fairly cheesy radio-rock style song. It was a song of the band of a guy whom I worked with, back when I was in high school. They let me play the drum part because it was for my "Senior project" in high school (and I was a little better than their drummer hah) , which I did on the subject of "music recording." Because it was a quick recording it doesn't sound awesome but it sounds a lot better than a tape recorder set up in a garage or something (thanks to my Dad who did pretty much all the technical stuff on it).

If you really want it PM me and I'll hook you up, but I'm not gonna just provide a link here for the public. I'm not much for making a spectacle of myself :cheese:. It's a pretty cheesy song and the drumming is pretty straight-forward rock. Not too much to it although the ending is a jam. lolz

U got any recordings GZA-ster?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Can hold my own with a guitar; can hold a beat with drums; can fake my way through bass guitar. I've come up with some melodies on piano, but have very little experience. I also sing!
Same-same.

And notta plays the piano. :headphne:

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Played Baritone Saxophone through middle/high school. I still play my alto sax occasionally.

Have tried to learn:
-Piano
-Bassoon
-Guitar